Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Am I allowed to know my time?

yuthh

I am not sure if this question been asked.Just curious if I could ask the RO my time before "If you finish,unload and show clear" and get answer. :closedeyes:

Thanks

Yuthh

If you are trying to decide to take that make up shot, it's too late ;)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Chuck

Yeah - I'd consider it coaching to answer the question. You can ask all you want. I once had a shooter during the COF get lost and forgot to engage a target - he was newer and I was really all over his gun so I didn't see that he missed them. Next thing I know is he's coming back at me asking "Did I miss one? Did I?" --- even if I wanted to help him - I was too busy double clutching and looking for Reverse.

DyNo already has it right - that information in that time frame (2 seconds for the ask and another 2 for the info and comprehension of what was said) is worthless anyway, outside of just knowing, and you can clear the range first.

The range lawyer in me says it is RO interference and a reshoot if they answer you before range is clear.

Care to cite a rule to support that?

I'm pretty sure my answer would be "If you were finished...," but I don't think, acting as RM, that I'd necessarily approve/require a reshoot if the RO answered the question....

Is this possibly more for 3gun with long range targets that are valued more? This is the only time I have ever been asked what the timer says. And for the most part I agree, if you are asking you should just leave it and move on.

You shouldn't ask until you clear your Pistol and are safe. Both you and the RO should still be focused on handling the firearm/course.

In the same vein, if the RO is going to offer you a Re-Shoot, or require one, they shouldn't let you know your time and/or target hits before doing so.

So if they get in the habit of answering that question, sooner or later someone will then try to re-engage a target and bump the RO, then wanting a re-shoot.

It's just a can of worms best left unopened.

The range lawyer in me says it is RO interference and a reshoot if they answer you before range is clear.

If they ask a question.. I can't see how it's interference - regardless if the question is answered or not...

I've seen it asked in 3 Gun at club matches for 300yd plus targets etc, I'd have to say, usually it's answered. I don't think that would fly at larger matches, where prizes, money, etc.. are on the line

My primary mission as an RO is to get the shooter throught the COF safely. That means my eyes are glued to the gun and the shooter's upper body in case he/she decides to move. I am not going to take my eyes from that area to look at the timer clock.

• 4 weeks later...

First, reread the rules on coaching and interference before citing interference or coaching. As whatmeworry says "the rule book is your friend" but that is the philosophy of a CRO. Seems like good advice to me.

The bottom line is it depends on the match level and judgement of the RO.

I was at big 3Gun match, more than one RO would tell you if your time was getting close to running out. Now there is a big differnce lying prone with a rifle and running with a hand gun. It was an RO judgement call.

[...]

I was at big 3Gun match, more than one RO would tell you if your time was getting close to running out. Now there is a big differnce lying prone with a rifle and running with a hand gun. It was an RO judgement call.

Just curious ... Was this a "USPSA" sanctioned event, or one of the "outlaw" (no disrespect intended) 3G matches? Under USPSA rules (8.6.1), I would argue that qualifies as "assistance of any kind" and is not allowed at anything higher than a Level I match. The outlaw matches do not operate under the USPSA rule book and tend to have a slightly different mindset.

Not sayin' good or bad, just acknowledging the differences.

Edit: As an RO/CRO, I will not take my eye off the shooter's gun at IYAFUASC to look at the timer until AFTER I call RANGE IS CLEAR. My attention belongs on the gun at this point, not on reviewing the shooter's time or other actions which can (and should) be done later.

Edited by Schutzenmeister

It was not at an USPSA match. There were a lot of USPSA ROs running the stages.

As a new person to 3 Gun, I talked to alot of 3 Gunners over the past few years. The biggest concern they had were USPSA rules with regards to 3 Gun. Hence you have seen some changes in those rules (I believe).

Not to drift too much, but sometimes dialoging with a shooter is beneficial. It can add to the postive shooting experience. I agree with the concerns about safety and upper level matches.

BTW: I know a littel bit about coaching, since I am the only person in the history of USPSA nationals to be penalized for coaching.

I am not sure if this question been asked.Just curious if I could ask the RO my time before "If you finish,unload and show clear" and get answer. :closedeyes:

Thanks

Yuthh

Reason was just curious.It might help someone who good at Classifirer Management. :blush: