Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which division has the least # of shooters?

XDman

Based on my observations at matches around here only.

Limited and Production have the most

Open is next

then Single Stack, L-10, and Revo have the lowest turnout, but I'm guessing it is area specific, Like California might have more L-10.

You would think CA has a lot of L-10 shooters but not always the case, lots of open and limited at most matches I've attended. I would say in most places, least shooters is revolver, then single stack, then l-10.

as a resident ofthe left coast...i'll chime in here, speaking from the northern cali area, revolver is the lowest, with 1 maybe 2 on the outside per match...biggest is production and L-10, its been tough sleddin for open and limited since the 94 laws went into effect and didnt sunset in our fair(sic) state, those who have em, shoot em, butthose who wantto get into the division have to pony up waaaay too much dinero vs. other states, i think thats why we see smaller numbers of open and limited shooters, i think thats why we dont see a lot in those divisions, the older guys have shot it for a while are tired and either dropped out all together or switched to some other division to challenge themselves, the newer shooters are put off by the sheer cost of tryin to get into the division...

as a resident ofthe left coast...i'll chime in here, speaking from the northern cali area, revolver is the lowest, with 1 maybe 2 on the outside per match...biggest is production and L-10, its been tough sleddin for open and limited since the 94 laws went into effect and didnt sunset in our fair(sic) state, those who have em, shoot em, butthose who wantto get into the division have to pony up waaaay too much dinero vs. other states, i think thats why we see smaller numbers of open and limited shooters, i think thats why we dont see a lot in those divisions, the older guys have shot it for a while are tired and either dropped out all together or switched to some other division to challenge themselves, the newer shooters are put off by the sheer cost of tryin to get into the division...

As of a couple of months ago, CA has 519 Open shooters, 695 Limited shooters, 369 L-10 shooters, 358 Production shooters and 69 Revolver shooters (Unclass isn't shown and SS wasn't listed).

OK, since this is a game, why would one want to shoot in production with so many more shooters than say SS, where you would have fewer competetors?

Depends on your goal. Do you want to just win or do you want the best competition? And just because only 3 folks shoot SS at a match, don't guarantee anyone a better chance of winning, especially if one of those three might be a GM.

OK, since this is a game, why would one want to shoot in production with so many more shooters than say SS, where you would have fewer competetors?

I'm competing against myself, but more shooters increases the chances that some of them are really good, and I'll have to shoot better to beat them. I've found that it's a lot easier to make it to a match when I know it's going to be a challenge to beat the rest of the field. If you're a big fish in a small pond...not so much (for me). R,

If you have to ask ...

Maybe think about it as a competition and not a game.

Even as a competition wouldnt you want to compete against the least ammount of people to have the best chance at wining?

I have seen some Gm,M class shooters who usually shoot lim or etc switch to lim10 at a match if there is a low ammount of shooters and maybe less other Gm's so they increase thier chances of winning a prize.

I dont roll that way. Im not in contention for any prizes.lol but that is one of looking at it

To answer the original question. Lim 10 has the least, then revo

Edited by chefcs5

Revolver has the lowest number of competitors in the area that I participate in. That is one reason, aside for the good cause, that I have participated in the Memphis Charity Challenge the last two years. The opportunity to compete with 65+ revolver shooters is a great time. :D

Edited by Blueridge

Even as a competition wouldnt you want to compete against the least ammount of people to have the best chance at wining?
I've won Singlestack Division at three local matches. In two of those it was because I was the only SS shooter there. In the other one I was first of two and the other guy was more of a newb than me. :closedeyes: You don't get much in the way of bragging rights for winning like that. Now, if some day I go to an area match and win SS, I'll be proud of that. I won't care if there were only 5 SS shooters.

Here's a break down of two clubs where I shoot somewhat regularly, and where I could quickly find the results for 2010:

LEA COUNTY ACTION SHOOTERS (WT09)
     Opn  Ltd  L10  Pro  Rev  SS
Feb    3    5    2    4    2    2 
Mar    5    5    2    3    0    5
Apr    5    5    1    4    0   10
May    2    8    0    1    0    6
Jun    4    8    5    1    0    4
Aug    1    9    0    2    0    4
Sep    2    5    1    1    0    3
Oct    3    7    1    4    0    4
Nov    2   12    0    5    0    5
total 27   64   12   25    2   43

We're probably have a higher percentage of SS shooters there than what the average would be. If I win SS there, I'll feel like it's an accomplishment. A couple of guys at that club know how to drive a 1911. I think that last year (2009) there was more Revolver participation than this year, with usually one Revo at most matches and occasionally two. These numbers seem to vary quite a bit from one match to another, but it's mostly the same core group of shooters showing up with different guns from one month to another.

WEST TEXAS PRACTICAL SHOOTERS (WT11)
     Opn  Ltd  L10  Pro  Rev  SS
Feb    0    6    1    8    0    3
Mar    2    3    1    2    0    2
May    1    6    1    4    0    0
Jun    1   10    0    6    0    1
Jul    2   13    1    5    0    1
Aug    1    7    3    9    0    1
Sep    0    7    1    5    0    0
Oct    1    6    1    6    0    2
total  8   58    9   45    0   10

I haven't got a feel for this club yet to say if these numbers are typical for them or not. Several people usually go to both matches. (These two matches are about 100 miles apart, but out here in the middle of nowhere, that's like next door.)

thanks for the info Bart, yes the state has in excess of 1100+ open and limited shooters,and i have to think the lion's share of em are in southern Cali. but up here in the north the numbers are not showing it. the big divisions are production(lots of new shooters wanting to come in, the least expensive way) L-10 and SS is making in-roads...

open and limited once were dominant, now, passe` especially when tryin to get an open/limited platform is so cost prohibitive in most up an coming shooters eyes, i feel for em, and am lucky i have had mine for a while, would be thinking hard twice about trying to run em now, price-wise...

intersting comment made about showing up/scoping the competition in a division and then shooting the division that will likely win you prize goo...im hoping they are in the minority, least around here they are, for me, its game within a game within a game(sorry flex) i compete against the course of fire, my equipment utilized within that course of fire, and my abilities to pull it off to the very best that can be had...and see where the chips may fall, not shooting a division to win somthing, hell ive been out of wall space for plaques a LONG TIME AGO....this is me shooting for the love of the sport(21 yrs now)