Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need help with new limited gun build

Corey

Ok, so I was hoping that searching and talking to people would help me decide, but it looks like I need to make the thread anyway. :ph34r: I have seen a lot about the 6" craze and it has me intrigued to say the least. I like the idea of a longer sight radius for tighter/longer shots. the weight of the gun is a moot point as most Ive seen can be made the same as a 5" (or at least close enough it wont matter). What bothers me about the 6" idea is the fwe people who talk about how some newer shooters -- I would put myself into this category I suppose: 1 year of USPSA shooting and never shot a hi-cap .40 -- dont get a benefit from the extra inch of barrel and in fact may hinder themselves a bit. I think I like the idea of a lighter gun, but the idea of a heavy front end of a 5" to reduce recoil is a nice thought.

For those who have a 5" AND a 6", hows the recoil comparison? Follow-up shots easier with one vs the other?

What I'm worried about is getting a gun that may be easier for a newer Limited shooter(the 5" is what I've heard there) but then growing my skills out of it and wanting the 6" down the road (I dont have plans to buy multiple limited guns right now). On the flip side, I dont want to get a 6" gun but be hindered by it for a few months or longer b/c I may not know teh way to drive the most out of it. :unsure:

I'm looking at comissioning the build inthe near future to get it in my hands by mid next year. This is going to be a big purchase for me and something I definitely want to do right the first time!

Thanks for the help!!

(And if anyone in my area has one or the other or preferably both setups, lets get together :cheers: )

I have shot a friends 5 inch and 6 inch and the 6 inch was better for me. Just make sure the slide is lightened. I shot the 6inch to try out with the uncut slide and it just didnt feel right. I have my 6inch i got getting the slide lightened right now. The glock is the same way for me at least. I have had both the 35 and 24 and like the 24 much better.

you have been shooting a 5 inch 1911 to get to the level that you are. So I think that you will find that the 5 in is much faster and easier to shoot at the level that you are use to shooting.

I have been doing this so long that I started shooting a 5 in and then went to 6 in pin guns with iron sights in 45 and was hard to shoot it ass fast in side of 20 yards and at this time I made a living with my hands as a mechanic.

With the new 6 in guns with lighten slides and so on they would be easier to use then the old pin guns but you could shoot it as a 5 in for a season and then build a 6 in top end after you have gotten the reloads and planing the stages with the hi cap. So that the transition would not be as great.

I strive to be a limited division grand master. I shoot a 5 inch SVI 2011 sighttracker .40 cal. Fantastic gun. 60K + rounds 5 years ultra reliable. I've been shooting 6 years, watched dozens and dozens of limited grand masters shoot and non have ever shoot a 6 inch limited gun. My vote is 5 inch bull barrel and lots and lots of practice.

I strive to be a limited division grand master. I shoot a 5 inch SVI 2011 sighttracker .40 cal. Fantastic gun. 60K + rounds 5 years ultra reliable. I've been shooting 6 years, watched dozens and dozens of limited grand masters shoot and non have ever shoot a 6 inch limited gun. My vote is 5 inch bull barrel and lots and lots of practice.

I am guessing you have never seen a guy named Rob Leatham shoot.....lots of limited GM's shooting six inch guns.

To the OP

The fact of the matter is that if you are a beginner it doesn't matter which gun you choose. The most important factor is your drive to work and practice. Those two factors will be the only way to find out which gun is better for you. After 50-60 thousand rounds you will be able to make a much more objective and informed decision, until then you are just listening to someone else's opinion that most likely doesn't apply to your current situation.

I am guessing you have never seen a guy named Rob Leatham shoot.....lots of limited GM's shooting six inch guns.

To the OP

The fact of the matter is that if you are a beginner it doesn't matter which gun you choose. The most important factor is your drive to work and practice. Those two factors will be the only way to find out which gun is better for you. After 50-60 thousand rounds you will be able to make a much more objective and informed decision, until then you are just listening to someone else's opinion that most likely doesn't apply to your current situation.

Great post.

I didn't think of the "add a different topend" option, which would be cheaper than 2 complete guns, but I'd be spending more money for a new topend, then not use the old one. And I do agree that practice is whats going to matter in the long run, but I dont have time to put 50K rounds down range before i commission the build, haha. Keep the opinion/info coming, its much appreciated.

I have both a 5" and a 6". My vote goes to the 6". I don't think it matters whether you are a beginner or not and really it makes very little difference at all. I've ran them side by side on stages trying to figure out which one was faster or more accurate, but I never could tell a big difference in my scores. I believe which ever one you like better and have the most confidence in, is the one you will shoot better.

For me, I feel like I can track the sights better with the 6" gun and have a little more confidence calling my shots with it, so that is what I use in the matches.

There are 2 6" Eagles in the classifieds right now. Buy one and go for it!

I don't really think it matters that much either way. I would like to try a 6", but I'm willing to bet that after 100 rounds, it'd feel the same as the 5" and I'd be back to working on skills rather than thinking about equipment.

Get a gun, find a load that runs, and just shoot.

I've seen you shoot, Corey, and you're way better than me after just one year of shooting. Obviously you don't need any particular piece of equipment to do well.

Corey, You and I talked some this week. I am in the same boat. I feel as if I want a 6" but little things find a back door into my head. i.e out of the blue more than a few 6" guns have been sold off in just the past few weeks right on this very forum. That includes some nice 2011's but also some Glock 24's which were all the rage just a few short months ago. I realize things happen and guys need to sell guns sometimes. But if they own more than one limited gun why sell the 6"?

I talked with some pretty good shooters last month about 6" guns being a fad. They agreed with most folks on this forum that they are not a fad because they have been around going on 7 years or some such number. But then I asked one simple question. If they have been around so long and are THE way to go, why doesn't every limited shooter shoot one. We shoot quite a few matches around here and I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that shoots one. I think I saw a few at the Indiana match and a few(maybe)at Michigan. I'm not saying they were not there I'm just saying they are not the dominant choice in 2011's by any stretch of the imagination.

I have come to the conclusion, right or wrong, that I would be fine with either one. It is just a matter of looks and possibly wringing a little more accuracy out of the extra inch.

I am like you though. I can't afford to buy a gun that doesn't work for me. I want to do it right the first time too.

Good luck with your choice cause it is damn sure kicking my ass!:wacko:

I don't really think it matters that much either way. I would like to try a 6", but I'm willing to bet that after 100 rounds, it'd feel the same as the 5" and I'd be back to working on skills rather than thinking about equipment.

I've seen you shoot, Corey, and you're way better than me after just one year of shooting. Obviously you don't need any particular piece of equipment to do well.

I think stock eagles would be heavy and sluggish. Not a good option unless you want to send it off to get lightened like most others do.

Personally I shoot A LOT of single stack, that is relegated to a 5" gun. For me I stick with what is similar, a pair of 5" limited guns. I've shot some 6" guns and if I only shot limited and open I probably would go that route. Don't pick one just because Super squadder X is shooting it. The only thing that matters is the timer and if you can get your hands on a few to try and do some standard drills the timer will tell you which is right for you at your current level. In another 6 months that might change. I started out liking heavy guns, now I like them reeeeeeeally light!

I also have a 5 & 6 inch limited and am currently shooting the 6 for the last 3 years. I love it, however I still shoot my 5 from time to time. The speed doesnt change much, however what is most important is that the gun (5 or 6) is setup right. I guess if you want a 6 then get one and you will get used to it. If you want a 5 inch then do the same.

I think stock eagles would be heavy and sluggish. Not a good option unless you want to send it off to get lightened like most others do.

Actually its easier to remove weight than to put it back. I think its better for newer shooters to start with a stock weight gun then remove weight down the road as they desire. Just remember a Stock Eagle is going to be lighter than the 1911 that Corey has been shooting anyway.

One of them is already lightened; the other is not.

Matt lightened my stock (5") Eagle--I'm sure he could do yours, too!

The real important thing is making sure the gun has a .40 slide and a bushing barrel if it's a 6". The rest (trigger job, sights, magwell, stippling, slide lightening) is much easier to add than picking a configuration.

I have both. Made by the same guy. Set up identically with the same trigger bow, grip, trigger pull, sights, you name it. From the drivers seat they're identical.

On the timer, they're identical. I can shoot the 6" as fast as the 5".

The 6" is easier to shoot alphas and call your shot. Its a LOT easier to do that at 25 yards.

At my last match, I set up a target array at 25 yards that was a mix of hard cover.... one target was 50% hard cover on the right, the next 50% on the left, one 50% hard cover on the bottom half and one target was a head shot... the rest hard cover. I shot all alphas on that array... and put eyes on the head shot. I knew from the instant that the shot broke that it was a good hit.... and unlike 90% of my shooters, I didn't take an insurance shot. Both were there and I knew it.

So.... I can make major a little more easily, I can shoot the same speed and I can more easily make more difficult shots. Where's the downside? I will make A shortly and am more confident than ever with the bigger gun.

cannons.jpg

Hi my name is Coco and I have a problem I am a compulsive gun trander buyer.

Honestly I harbored and hid a great desire for a Brazos Custom Limit gun, the opportunity never happend at the right time or price. Long story short one day while I was practicing limited with my SVI Custom Limited and with my HPF Edge a friend had a Brazos custom just like I always wanted so we traded off and I shot his and he shot mine we tried each others ammo etc, in the end I sold my SVI that I had no love for because it shot just like the Brazos and now I have no interest in the Brazos limited. I found out what my preferences are, I like the heavier slide and heft of the Edge. I've been studying the 6" guns for about 2 years and I'm like a cat ready to pounce on one when the right opportunity comes, but will it be the one, who knows.

My suggestion is to try some guns out and know what it is you want before you get the wallet out.

** Please note the Brazos Custom is an excellent Limited Gun, just not the gun that I prefer at my skill level and shooting style, or lack of style.

I have been shooting SS for less than a year decided I wanted to try limited and now FGW is building me a 5in gun I decided to go that route because it was going to be similar to my SS gun. I'm thinking that I can shoot the crap out of it and practice like crazy. Just keep in mind that I'm a rookie.

I have identical (as close as you can make them) 5" and 6" guns in both 40 and 9mm. Built by the same gunsmith, Benny Hill, and with the same components with only the front sight width being slightly different to allow for the extra length and still present the same sight picture.

If it were not for the fact I shoot IDPA as well as USPSA the 5" guns would have a new owner.......

For me, at my skill level and whatever other intangibles figure into the equation, the 6" is superior in all regards.

No minuses and many pluses for the 6" gun............ For me.

My .02 = Buy a gun and start shooting.