Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting over in .40

Sarge

Well, in anticipation of getting my new gun this coming spring I started sorting my collection of brass tonight. I seem to remember hearing a lot of shooters say it is much less complicated to mess with 40 than it is 9mm since there is not as much "junk" brass in 40. I found plenty of S&B along with most of the familiar players that I did in 9mm. Hell, I even came across some A-merc!:o

I guess I was expecting all Winchester!:lol:

Kevin, set up the single stage for the "U" die. And use that time to inspect your .40 range brass closely, especially near the base before you resize. Do that an you're gold with just about anything you find out there. I do tend to pitch the "WCC" stuff though.

cheers.gif

Jim

The only 40 brass that I throw in a box to be messed with at a later time is the Fed NT and the Win NT brass. This crap has the crimped primer pocket :angry2: I have been using the Redding GrX die on the single stage press so that is where I do my inspection. The U die is in station 1 on the dillon 550.

The only 40 brass that I throw in a box to be messed with at a later time is the Fed NT and the Win NT brass. This crap has the crimped primer pocket :angry2: I have been using the Redding GrX die on the single stage press so that is where I do my inspection. The U die is in station 1 on the dillon 550.

Yeah I did find one or two Fed NT so far. What surprised me was the S&B, GFL , *I*, A-merc, etc. I thought that stuff was kind of limited to the 9mm since it is so popular worldwide.

Then Chris Keen says load it all. How can that be? S&B primer pockets are too tight in 9mm are they not tight in 40? Are there no steel S&B cases in 40?

Why would I load brass in 40 that I have rejected in 9mm for one reason or another?

Hey ncboiler, if you don't mind me asking, why do you GRX and then run through a Udie? That seems like overkill unless I'm missing something. I am back and forth between the two options but never considered using both. I plan to wait until I get my gun to see what will and won't chamber before committing either.

S&B primer pockets are tight in everything, but the primers go in. I've never seen a steel case S&B in any caliber, but perhaps I'm not looking hard enough. So what if they're tight? check your primer height when you're chamber checking and run 'em.

I'd say that the real problem with .40 brass isn't the headstamp, it's getting it to fit in your chamber. I put aside about 5% of my reloaded .40, and while the overwhelming majority of it goes bang in practice, nothing I shoot is as finicky as .40. I'd even go as far to say that I see very little reason to chamber check my 9mm and .45, but I won't shoot any match...even a local match...with .40 that hasn't been chamber checked.

Edited by twodownzero

Yeah I did find one or two Fed NT so far. What surprised me was the S&B, GFL , *I*, A-merc, etc. I thought that stuff was kind of limited to the 9mm since it is so popular worldwide.

Then Chris Keen says load it all. How can that be? S&B primer pockets are too tight in 9mm are they not tight in 40? Are there no steel S&B cases in 40?

Why would I load brass in 40 that I have rejected in 9mm for one reason or another?

Hey ncboiler, if you don't mind me asking, why do you GRX and then run through a Udie? That seems like overkill unless I'm missing something. I am back and forth between the two options but never considered using both. I plan to wait until I get my gun to see what will and won't chamber before committing either.

SB sucks but I don't have any problems with it except in revolver. Just make sure the primer is seated well. You'll know when you run across a SB piece of brass. I also use the U die. Will your new gun have a extended FP?

Kevin,

I use the U-Die,and then the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Overkill, maybe. Since I have done that, I have not had a chambering problem. We I did have them, I fond that I had short stroked, and the case was not getting fully "Crimped", i.e. it still had a little belling on it.

I shoot everything, and just listen for that odd one that sounds funny and is cracked. When I shoot a big match, I then take all my loaded up ammo, and sort so that I have all Winchester headstamp, because I know what they Chrono for sure.

Mark

S&B primer pockets are tight in everything, but the primers go in.  I've never seen a steel case S&B in any caliber, but perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.  So what if they're tight?  check your primer height when you're chamber checking and run 'em.

I'd say that the real problem with .40 brass isn't the headstamp, it's getting it to fit in your chamber.  I put aside about 5% of my reloaded .40, and while the overwhelming majority of it goes bang in practice, nothing I shoot is as finicky as .40.  I'd even go as far to say that I see very little reason to chamber check my 9mm and .45, but I won't shoot any match...even a local match...with .40 that hasn't been chamber checked.

S&B's steel cases are plated to look like brass. Which is kind of annoying. I haven't run into them in .40 yet. Unlike a lot of others, I like S&B .40 brass after the first reloading. 

Will your new gun have a extended FP?

Not sure what the final option list will look like. I'll have to work all that out with Matt. Is the Extended FP the way to go?

You bet you want an extended FP. I would think Matt would put EFP unless you provided the parts.

I do it because I'm OCD :roflol:

Partially kidding..... I do it because it gives me a chance to inspect the brass, mostly for headstamps to weed out the NT brass. I used to do the U die on a single stage and I had a few pieces of brass that were basically "squished" for a lack of a better term.... the glock belly became worse. I bought the U die first but wanted to try the carbide version of the GrX. The GrX is much faster in the single stage press than the U die.

I haven't had a round fail the case gauge after using the U die so I continue to use it. Also there is less stress on the press handle after running the brass thru the GrX die before the U die.

I load the S&B brass as well. Yes the primer pockets are tighter but the primers will go in, just have to finesse it a little :rolleyes:

What's a case gauge? I have an EGW-U die & a Lee FCD. Life is good when I don't have to waste my time case gauging. :)

I've probably gauged close to 4,000 rounds since I started loading 40. I have never had a single round fail the case gauge after using the U die. I don't think I'll be using the gauge for any rounds I load going forward.

I've had a few rounds fail to case gauge after running my brass through a U-die after about 1500 or so rounds; one was a round where I failed to take out the bell in the case mouth (reloading error)and the other was a case that was a little too long

Edited by SIG shooter

I had a dozen bullets or so out of a box of 500 that were so oversized that they wouldn't fit in my gun at all. I had a bunch of malfunctions in a match before I discovered the problem and have since chamber checked all of my ammo.

If the U-die really is that effective, I need to get one like yesterday.

I had a dozen bullets or so out of a box of 500 that were so oversized that they wouldn't fit in my gun at all. I had a bunch of malfunctions in a match before I discovered the problem and have since chamber checked all of my ammo.

I know the feeling on having ammo problems before realizing i need to gage check ammo <_< (IN match)

And Kevin, I love how you and I seem to be going through the same thing right now, haha. Im about to start buying my parts to reload for 40 as well. I think I'm going to go the carbide G-RX die route and use it on my single stage press.

I loaded 20k to 30k of 40 S&W, all with Dillon dies in a 550. No GRX, No U die, No FCD. All the rounds that have failed in my guns (I have 3 forty's), are all due to operator error on the press. This is with lead, jacketed, plated, you name it. I would start with the Dillon dies first, and then, only if you have a problem, then go to a U die or GRX die. S&B brass does seem to be harder (in both sizing and putting primers in), but the only brass that I chunk is Federal NT brass. It's not worth messing with even once.

I know the feeling on having ammo problems before realizing i need to gage check ammo <_< (IN match)

And Kevin, I love how you and I seem to be going through the same thing right now, haha. Im about to start buying my parts to reload for 40 as well. I think I'm going to go the carbide G-RX die route and use it on my single stage press.

Corey, I'd wait on that. Load with the Dillon dies first, see what happens. If they don't feed, then spend the money on the GRx die. Otherwise, you are throwing money at at a not yet existent problem.

Edited by GrumpyOne

Corey, I'd wait on that. Load with the Dillon dies first, see what happens. If they don't feed, then spend the money on the GRx die. Otherwise, you are throwing money at at a not yet existent problem.

If you are shooting a gun with a tight chamber like an STI and you are using range brass or any kind of unknown brass you will need a U-die. This is a fact. You might get lucky and find

a bunch of brass that works fine but eventually it will bite you. The die is cheap so save yourself the trouble of waiting.