Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making minor pf with 38 Special

Ontarget

I use 3.7 of Solo 1000 to get 127 PF with 158 grain LRN bullets . My standard load is 4.0 grains of Solo 1000 for a 134 pf. This is to make sure poppers go down reliably even in the wind. You won't notice the difference between 10 pf.

Any of the loads listed will make the PF for you. Now pick one you like and bench test them for the best accuracy. That's the load to go with. My 4.0 grain load will produce 1 inch groups at 25 yards off the bench.

3.5 gr Clay's over a 158 gr LRN makes 129.5k PF from my 4" 686.

I run 3.8 for some extra cushion, comes out about 135pf in my 686ssr. Primers look good, super clean and little smoke. I like clays a lot. You just have to be careful when testing in your gun. You can find some pretty high clays loads posted here and on the IDPA forum but I didnt have to go that high to get my margin in my gun.

I currently use 3.9gr of Titegroup with Berry's 158gr plated RN in a 5.5" custom ported barrel for 125pf. Very soft recoiling load and is very clean. I am a lover of titegroup in my 45's and 38's. I have also used 4.4gr. W231/HP38 behind a 160 gr. Bayou bullets LRN and the berry's 158gr for about a 130pf. The accuracy and consistancy edge goes to titegroup.

I've got a can of Solo 1000 for just this purpose, but I haven't started experimenting yet so I can't comment. I have used HP38/231, and I didn't like it at all. Lots of unburned powder, and if I didn't clean the cylinder and extractor star between stages it'd get dirty enough to seriously slow down my reloads. This was with both a plated and lead 158gr. RN bullets.

I currently use 3.9gr of Titegroup with Berry's 158gr plated RN in a 5.5" custom ported barrel for 125pf. Very soft recoiling load and is very clean. I am a lover of titegroup in my 45's and 38's. I have also used 4.4gr. W231/HP38 behind a 160 gr. Bayou bullets LRN and the berry's 158gr for about a 130pf. The accuracy and consistancy edge goes to titegroup.

I agree that the Titegroup is consistant and accurate, but I find on long stages (24+ rounds) the cylinder gets very hot. I like Clays, as it seems to be pretty accurate and burns clean and much cooler.

I've got a can of Solo 1000 for just this purpose, but I haven't started experimenting yet so I can't comment. I have used HP38/231, and I didn't like it at all. Lots of unburned powder, and if I didn't clean the cylinder and extractor star between stages it'd get dirty enough to seriously slow down my reloads. This was with both a plated and lead 158gr. RN bullets.

My experience with 231 is a bit different. I didn't think it was very dirty. I try to clean my chambers frequently at match but I've gone a couple hundred rounds in practice and just start noticing it. I do a strong hand reload and whack the ejector rod well.

Clays for me too, burns clean reloads slip in easy. I have to run it a bit over Hodgens recommended max to make power factor with 158 gr LRN in a 4 inch 686. However Hodgen does not publish any fast loads for Clays and Lead. No signs of excessive pressure or problems.

Start low work up with a chronograph watch for trouble and use common sense.

Boats

Good Morning,

Revopop, I have never had a problem with 231 not burning. I use 231 for 38, 357, three different 40 loads and 38 super. I use Clays for 9mm. I wonder if there is something else that could cause the un-burnt powder. I use Federal primers for wheel guns, but a few different brands for semi-autos.

Anyway, my pet 38 special load for almost ten years is 5.1 grains of 231, with Federal 100 primers, and Berry's 158 plated, DSRN bullets seated to 1.500". This has consistently made 132 to 135 power factor.