Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know where you could buy a bennellie plug, thier just scrap at the shop. I have seen generic plugs in bubble pkgs at sporting goods stores, but as marco said a cut down hull or almost anything will do. Merlin took my m2 to fort benning one year and it came home with a tree branch stuck in the tube.---------Larry

Sounds like him. I about pooped myself the first time I saw him hacking at a brand new gun with a file. :surprise:

Benny, I just got off the phone with Mossberg trying to get some sort of barrel for this damned gun... If I get another 28", do you think it would be possible for you to cut it to 24" and thread it?

I can cut & choke it for you.

How much for said services? :)

And how about some pics of the two new toys Mossberg sent you... or is that not allowed since they are still in development?

Edited by dejadoo

ok-finally a range report for y'all-took my benny open 930 out and spent 4 hours with it this morning.

first task was zeroing slugs. once i got them zeroed at 50 yds, i tried to determine which slugs it liked. i shot fiocchi low recoil, remington managed recoil, win lite, federal truball low recoil. YMMV, but this 930 liked the fiocchi and the remington. the POA changed dramatically with the federal, and the groups opened up. also tried some full power remington sluggers. i don't advise those. painful to shoot and not very accurate. tested using IC and modified chokes, with consistent results. ended up with sub 3" 4 shot group at 50 yds and called it good. i'll be buying lots of fiocchi.

on to some birdshot. pattern test with the optics sighted at 50 yds was fine-plenty of coverage. i fed it walmart remington and federal bulk pack stuff, remington STS, winchester AA and some estate stuff i had lying around. cycles just fine with 2 3/4 dr 1 oz light stuff as well. also fed it some high base 6's and it ate everything i fed it.

my first impression is this (and this is coming from shooting an open 1100 for 20+ years):

i like the 930-it's nice and light. it points well, loads like a dream, functioned flawlessly with everything i shot. it cycles very fast. if you were one of the lucky ones to outrun a benelli, good luck doing it with the 930. it is faster than the 1100, but, and this is the only thing i don't like...it bucks more than an 1100. maybe because the gun is lighter, or maybe the porting on my 1100 is more efficient, but the two guns are different in feel when shooting slugs or for that matter, just 3 dram birdshot. the 930 barks more, period. not quite like a benelli, but close. the 1100 is still a softer shooting gun.

couple things to improve on. the forend sux. it's mushy in that you can squeeze the rear part of the forend and it actually moves upward. almost like it's not fit well. i've looked at the inside of the forend and cannot figure out why there is so much slack there. hopefully the aftermarket stock guys will fix this issue. i've seen on other reviews that this problem exists will a lot of 930's. the stock itself could also be made a bit thinner where your strong hand grabs it. much fatter than i prefer. the porting is somewhat cheesy and i'm not sure it's doing much where the holes are located.

i'll let you know more after i get a few cases of shells thru mine, but for now, it's a winner.

Edited by outerlimits

Congratulations on getting it to the range, I was hoping to try it out last Saturday.

Keep up posted on the progress.

We expect you to win open on Labor Day's 2 gun match with your new gun.

Saw the Miculek Model at Rockcastle today, & it looks really nice. Benny had one field stripped, looks very simple. The other was the 22" gun. Nordic mag tube, fiber optic sight, but I think he said he put that on. Nice soft recoil pad, threaded for chokes. Said it should be on the market within 30 days. He's shooting it in the match, running great.

does the miculek model have the road blocker brake?

No, the current Miculek model is a limited/tactical shotgun. And Benny did instal the Hi Viz front sight. The gun came with a rather large red fiber sight and Benny has been shooting the Hi Vis sight for years, didnt want to change the sight pic now just before a match. The factory sight will work fine for most folks.----------Larry

Edited by Larry White

Do we have to buy you guys a camera? :roflol:

480995d1311912202-2405966-known-dodgy-serial-number-blackbird-this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Sorry, guys, I didn't bring a camera. Maybe Larry or Benny could put one up. It does have some rather large white lettering on the right side, kind of gauche, but still functional none the less. Not much point of having a Miculek model if you can't advertise it, I guess.

Jerry's open gun that I saw at Benning had a roadblocker break on it. This one is strictly tac optics/limited, so just regular chokes. Think Benelli with a 21" barrel and flush Nordic tube, that's what it looks like (and white lettering on the side).

Ok, so are the new "Competition" models out on the street? Are they holding in the $700 range?

Also, what all is in the competition model to make it $700 plus, that you couldn't buy a regular 930 spx and modify for less?

Do we have to buy you guys a camera? :roflol:

480995d1311912202-2405966-known-dodgy-serial-number-blackbird-this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Sorry, guys, I didn't bring a camera. Maybe Larry or Benny could put one up. It does have some rather large white lettering on the right side, kind of gauche, but still functional none the less. Not much point of having a Miculek model if you can't advertise it, I guess.

Jerry's open gun that I saw at Benning had a roadblocker break on it. This one is strictly tac optics/limited, so just regular chokes. Think Benelli with a 21" barrel and flush Nordic tube, that's what it looks like (and white lettering on the side).

Anyone? :huh: