Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

grease vs oil

lrf

I don't just bathe in SlideGlide; I bathe Beki in it too. Don't believe me? Take it from our Crew here at the Grayguns Inc. Secret Volcano Base: Torie uses it for hand lotion and Roy will never buy another tube of Brylcreem. Jim says it's the best chainsaw grease he's ever tried, and Marsha waterproofed her boots with a jar of The Heavy just last week.

And amazingly, I'll tell you we actually made an AMT Hardballer function for three magazines after anointing it with SlideGlide.OK, maybe nobody would believe that, but the rest is true I swear it!

Seriously, the Glide is the shiznitz. Brian, we'll order more Tuesday. And thank you for the most generous and touching compliment. "High praise from a Vulcan...."

-Bruce

Had me all the way up till the running briefly hardballer. :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't run anything but FP-10 or G96 on my Glocks, but they really need very little lube to start with.

On all of my 1911/2011s, I run Slide Glide Lite, and in the colder months will add a drop of FP-10/G96 to the barrel hood and the tip of the disconnector. That combo has worked down into the 20s with no problems (even on Open guns). I put the SGL pretty much everywhere except for a drop or two of FP-10/G96 on the sear/hammer/disconnector. R,

I don't just bathe in SlideGlide; I bathe Beki in it too. Don't believe me? Take it from our Crew here at the Grayguns Inc. Secret Volcano Base: Torie uses it for hand lotion and Roy will never buy another tube of Brylcreem. Jim says it's the best chainsaw grease he's ever tried, and Marsha waterproofed her boots with a jar of The Heavy just last week.

And amazingly, I'll tell you we actually made an AMT Hardballer function for three magazines after anointing it with SlideGlide.

:roflol:

Thanks Bruce!

When I'm at the range, I see everyone bathing their limited guns in oil. Usually break free, fp-10, motor oil. I've tried heavier oils like Tetra Lube because it's thicker and heavy on teflon, but it makes the gun feel lazy. I have used slide glide but it also makes the gun feel lazy. When I asked local shooters about the oil they say it minmizes and/or eliminates wear and the action remains "fast". What I especially don't like is the oil dragging all kinds of dirt & gunk out of the slide and into the frame, trigger, fire control parts.

I still have some "light" slide glide and will go back to that until it warms up. I like the idea of not having to clean the gun after every match or practice! Thanks for the info in this thread, it's very helpful, especially to guys like me that are new.

Thanks,

Rick

Grease season is definitely over where I live!

For the next several months, the only guns that will be running reliably around these parts are those lubed with lighter lubricants that are designed to flow in colder temperatures.

Year-round, Mobil 1 is wonderful stuff for guns.

Has anybody else tried Nano Oil(by StClaire)? Just got some and it has really worked great, just a few drops go a long way, I have a 14 year old Para that has gotten pretty beat up over the years and has been giving my problems, I tried this new stuff and the gun was 100% last time out, now I have only used it for a short time but it seems to make my Spartan very smooth. Anybody been using it for a while let me know what you think, like I said I've only used for a couple of range outings so far, and it was only about 30 deg. out last time.

Edited by sparks701

I did have my first experience with slide glide standard in the cold at a match over thanksgiving weekend and had no problems. It was on a Glock which are looser, but the gun ran great nonetheless. I was the only guy out there without a finicky gun that day, couldn't say much for my accuracy though, i put in a crappy performance on my part. but.. no knocks on the glock or the glide.

You got a link to yhe Nano oil?

Yep, its www.nanolube.com. look thru it and check out the testemonials. I bought the 10w pen, they have added a nano grease since I was last on their site, might be worth looking into. A little pricey but like I said a little seems to go a long way.

Edited by sparks701

Yep, its www.nanolube.com. look thru it and check out the testemonials. I bought the 10w pen, they have added a nano grease since I was last on their site, might be worth looking into. A little pricey but like I said a little seems to go a long way.

That is some expensive oil...$42.00 an oz?!?! :surprise: At least the will ship it for free.

You got a link to yhe Nano oil?

Thanks for the link :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

You will find that any kind of grease used will cause problems if used on the slide/frame during the colder months where you live. Even some of the thicker oils will cause a gun to be sluggish. I use grease on the sear/hammer hook (1911/2011 guns) year round and use CLP on everything else.

Pat

Red grease runs slow no matter what the temp is. I use light slideglide on my open gun and ed brown's oil on everything else.

Wilson Gun Grease--Never AGAIN. I was at WSSSC and had put grease on my gun. It was cold, the first stage I watched my slide in slow motion on the first stage. On stage two I was slapping my slide shut. Luckily, a friend from Vegas loaned me some oil, I was wiping the grease out and oiling it.

No Grease for me! (Reminds me of a food quote, "if it's frying (in grease) you are dying :roflol: )

Too many better synethic products out there; slide glide, Nanotech 386, blue magic oil that do a much better job in all temperatures.

Edited by pjb45

I gave the light slide guide a try in my open gun. It had failures to feed for about the first 50 rounds, but it seemed to resolve itself after that. But the gun does cycle faster and with more repeatability with mobile 1 oil - and I clean my gun after every use no matter what. So I'll be sticking with the mobile 1 for now. I do like the slide glide though in terms of grease.

• 2 months later...

Slide glide is good stuff. If I didnt blend all my lubricants I would use it exclusively. The recoil dampening is really good. I bet my lubes have the same chemicals as the glide as I call it. I can blend in differant proportions for multi uses. If you are not a chem engineer stick with the glide it is the best you can buy. It permiates the pores in the metal and stays where it is needed. No bad smell either, this is the downfall of some of my lubes.

I gave the light slide guide a try in my open gun. It had failures to feed for about the first 50 rounds, but it seemed to resolve itself after that. But the gun does cycle faster and with more repeatability with mobile 1 oil - and I clean my gun after every use no matter what. So I'll be sticking with the mobile 1 for now. I do like the slide glide though in terms of grease.

For an Open gun, be sure to only use the Lite. And depending on how light the recoil spring is and how tight the frame/slide fit is, maybe the Lite applied sparringly.

• 3 weeks later...

For an Open gun, be sure to only use the Lite. And depending on how light the recoil spring is and how tight the frame/slide fit is, maybe the Lite applied sparringly.

For a cz shadow with 11 lb recoil spring, which is better lite or standard? Thanks!

I am a firm believer in the effectiveness of Slide Glide. I use Slide Glide Standard in the summer and Lite in the winter. I regularly shoot 5000+ rounds between cleans and even then the slide glide is still lubricating the parts. I choose to clean the gun at 5000 rounds simply to perform a detailed inspection of all the parts and ensure that key springs are not getting weak and need replaced. The other advantage of using slide glide is that it serves as a very good barrier between the metal and spent powder. This makes cleaning the gun WAY easier when I do clean it. I will apply a thin layer of slide glide to most of the internal surfaces even if they are not load bearing or metal on metal wear locations. Doing this makes cleaning it way easier as you don’t have to scrub off or scrape out built up powder.

For the fast moving parts, such as the hammer, sear and firing pin I use a mixture of Synthetic motor oil and Prolong oil additive. The ideal mixture is 3 parts motor oil and 1 part Prolong. Prolong is an “Extreme Pressure Polymer” which excels in being super slippery when metal parts are forced together with a lot of pressure and heat. The only thing that sucks about using this oil is that it does fling off fairly easy. It only lasts about 100 rounds when you use it on slide rails and what not. I have a little needle point oil bottle that I use to reapply this lube to the fast moving parts every 1000 rounds or so.

I have thought about getting the Heavy Slide glide and then cutting it with the Prolong to make it a “Lite” viscosity. I am not sure if this would ruin the stickiness ability of the Slide Glide though. The way I see it, regular slide glide works very well as it is so why try to change it? I guess its one of those “If its not broke don’t try to fix it” situations.

Wilson Gun Grease--Never AGAIN. I was at WSSSC and had put grease on my gun. It was cold, the first stage I watched my slide in slow motion on the first stage. On stage two I was slapping my slide shut. Luckily, a friend from Vegas loaned me some oil, I was wiping the grease out and oiling it.

No Grease for me! (Reminds me of a food quote, "if it's frying (in grease) you are dying :roflol: )

Too many better synethic products out there; slide glide, Nanotech 386, blue magic oil that do a much better job in all temperatures.

+1 on the Wilson [white] grease.It's always caused problems for me

Edited by kellymc

I am a firm believer in the effectiveness of Slide Glide. I use Slide Glide Standard in the summer and Lite in the winter. I regularly shoot 5000+ rounds between cleans and even then the slide glide is still lubricating the parts. I choose to clean the gun at 5000 rounds simply to perform a detailed inspection of all the parts and ensure that key springs are not getting weak and need replaced. The other advantage of using slide glide is that it serves as a very good barrier between the metal and spent powder. This makes cleaning the gun WAY easier when I do clean it. I will apply a thin layer of slide glide to most of the internal surfaces even if they are not load bearing or metal on metal wear locations. Doing this makes cleaning it way easier as you don’t have to scrub off or scrape out built up powder.

For the fast moving parts, such as the hammer, sear and firing pin I use a mixture of Synthetic motor oil and Prolong oil additive. The ideal mixture is 3 parts motor oil and 1 part Prolong. Prolong is an “Extreme Pressure Polymer” which excels in being super slippery when metal parts are forced together with a lot of pressure and heat. The only thing that sucks about using this oil is that it does fling off fairly easy. It only lasts about 100 rounds when you use it on slide rails and what not. I have a little needle point oil bottle that I use to reapply this lube to the fast moving parts every 1000 rounds or so.

I have thought about getting the Heavy Slide glide and then cutting it with the Prolong to make it a “Lite” viscosity. I am not sure if this would ruin the stickiness ability of the Slide Glide though. The way I see it, regular slide glide works very well as it is so why try to change it? I guess its one of those “If its not broke don’t try to fix it” situations.

Thanks for the nice review CHA-LEE.

I bet the Slide-Glide Heavy would retain its stickiness factor after it was blended with Prolong (gotta love that name). PM me your address and I'll send you a sample.

be

So do you use the slide glide on the bushing? Or where the chamber end of the barrel locks into the slide (whatever the space in front of the ejection port is called)?

WG

Yes to both. Your last area is the barrel "hood," and a good lube is vital there.