Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which gunsmith?

Pro2AInPA

I wasn't sure where to put this . . . . if this is the wrong spot, I apologize.

Looking for recommendations from you guys on who to send a gun to for some work. I'm picking up a lightly used STI Spartan in .45ACP as my new single stack blaster.

I want to send it out to have the trigger guard undercut, have a flat trigger installed and have a trigger job done to bring the pull to around 2.5lb, and have the gun refinished.

I'm looking for someone who does good work and has quick turnaround time.

Is an undercut trigger guard legal in single stack? Just curious as I read Appendix D5, item 22 to say no as it would be milling for a competitive advantage and it would suck to get it done and have an illegal gun.

Is an undercut trigger guard legal in single stack? Just curious as I read Appendix D5, item 22 to say no as it would be milling for a competitive advantage and it would suck to get it done and have an illegal gun.

The STI Trojan has an undercut trigger guard from the factory and lots of folks shoot them.

+1 for Bobby at Freedom Gun Works. He's done work recently on both my Limited gun and my Trojan, including some sweet 1.75# triggers.

He has a Youtube video up on the work he did recently on my Trojan.

Curtis

+1 Freedom Gunworks. I sent mine to "another" Smith before deciding it would go to Freedom for coating. 3 months later I still don't have it back (I was quoted 1 month)for it's trip to Freedom. It's nothing special, just a shooter but I know I would have had it back from Freedom by now and saved on the 2nd shipping charge... Off for Atranite soon I hope, very soon.......

The STI Trojan has an undercut trigger guard from the factory and lots of folks shoot them.

Thanks for the information. A friend of mine was going to have his done and asked me if it was legal. Based on D5, number 22 I told him no, it's an illegal modification (milling for competitive advantage) and I could never RO him again without being forced to bump him to Open. :(

Thanks for the information. A friend of mine was going to have his done and asked me if it was legal. Based on D5, number 22 I told him no, it's an illegal modification (milling for competitive advantage) and I could never RO him again without being forced to bump him to Open. :(

The way I read that rule is that it's talking about slide lightening, etc.

The rule says nothing about cutting the frame. But about the slide, milling permitted only to duplicate mass-produced factory slide available to the general public or as required to insert sights.

Freedom Gunworks will more than likely, get to flat-top my Spartan after the Gator Classic.

http://innovativecustomguns.com/

Jim Milks was a gunsmith who was trained by George Smith and worked for EGW for the last 20 years. He resides in New Enterprise, PA which is about two hours and change from you. I would check his stuff out and see what you think.

I haven't dealt with Mr. Milks personally because my gunsmith Robert Snyder of Avery Systems does my stuff locally.

Robby

Edited by PINMAN44