Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hobbyist/Inexpensive TIG recommendation

dlee14

I have done quite a bit of MIG welding, mostly decorative iron work for houses, but just can't get the precision welds for gunsmithing. What brands/models of TIG welders do you guys recommend for a hobbyist doing gunsmithing? I have been noticing some welding units for sale in Craigslist lately and thinking it is a good time to buy.

I don't have any recommendations but I would suggest that you buy a known brand when you buy. I cruise Craigs List a couple of times a day looking for tools I might need and have noticed many listings for TIG welders that I have never heard of. Bide your time and shop for the likes of Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, etc.. Be sure and test drive them too, don't buy a pig in a poke.

Pat

With all due respect, TIG is very different from TIG. MIG might be the easiest of all welding whereas TIG might be the hardest. I would strongly suggest you find a local community college or trade school and take a class. That way you can learn it, try a few things, see if it is really for you and get some comfort knowing what you need. Oh, and there are no "inexpensive" TIG units.

Edited by MarkCO

The best TIG machines are Lincoln and Miller. I like Miller the best. Usually the welding supply houses have used or rebuilt machines for sale. You have to ask though - they'd rather sell a new one and not say anything about used.

If I needed a small DCEN TIG for steel, I'd pick up a little Miller inverter Maxstar 150. Thermal Dynamics also makes a tiny inverter TIG good to about 3/16" material.

These are DC machines, so they're good for steel, but won't do aluminum.

If you need more ass, the Syncrowave machines are excellent, but the transformer technology is BIG, HEAVY and draws a LOT of amps.... but costs about 1/2 of a premium inverter based machine. IF money is no object, the Miller Dynasty is the end all be all. You can adjust every aspect of the wave and really dial in your arc.

Let your wallet be your guide!

Seth (I own a Syncrowave 200)

If you are going to spend the money on a TIG I would suggest getting one that will

“do it all” AC/DC and high frequency start/continuous. I feel there are two brands Miller and everyone else. Don’t even think about harbor freight, we are not buying hammers here.

A good used Syncrowave will be a much better machine than a brand new “beginner” machine and cost about the same.

A little practice and you’ll be amazed at what a TIG can do that other welders can’t. FWIW I think Oxy/Act welding is harder to learn than TIG.

tig.jpg

If you are going to spend the money on a TIG I would suggest getting one that will

"do it all" AC/DC and high frequency start/continuous. I feel there are two brands Miller and everyone else. Don't even think about harbor freight, we are not buying hammers here.

A good used Syncrowave will be a much better machine than a brand new "beginner" machine and cost about the same.

A little practice and you'll be amazed at what a TIG can do that other welders can't. FWIW I think Oxy/Act welding is harder to learn than TIG.

tig.jpg

I am impressed!:surprise:

Pat

miller is what i would buy. i agree with markco. take some classes if you can altho if you can weld with an oxy & accet. torch you can learn to weld with a tig very easily. if you are going to do alluminum or large steel you will need a water cooled if not you just going to do small steel a dry rig will work fine.

Thank you all for your suggestions and tips. From what I have learned, here is what I think I am looking for. I am setting a budget of $1,000 for the complete set-up including torch, tank and basic hardware; which puts me into the "used" category. Miller seems to be preferred and I am looking forward to trying out the brand. My MIG is Lincoln and I must say that although it has lasted many years and many big spools, I find the quality lacking in the hardware. I don't need water cooled since I am doing duty cycle is short, I don't want the hassle of hooking up to water and my budget won't allow for water cooled. I am wanting the option to weld aluminum and thinner materials. So that means AC/DC and 5 or less amps. So is this price of $1,000 a realistic expectation? Which Miller model?

I have seen the pipefitters on several heavy duty industrial jobs TIG stainless steel pipe. The only machines I have ever seen on the job are Miller, Lincoln, and on ocassion a Hobart or two.

When I am working next to them, I can always hear the high frequency start up. They also use argon.

They (the pipefitters and the welding machines) do some really pretty welds on stainless pipe.

If you don't have one already, an auto-darkening hood (aka "speedglass") is awesome.

Lincoln makes a small suitcase like welder, but I think it takes 480V. But then again, that could be a MiG wire welder I am thinking about.

Hello: If you can't get a good weld with a mig welder you are doing something wrong. Make sure you are using the correct gas and wire. As for a Tig machine get a Lincoln or a Miller. Get a bigger machine than you think you will need. You will be looking at $2000 for a good one with all the goodies. Thanks, Eric

The Diversion series is an EXCELLENT choice if you don't need a lot of bells and whistles. Its inverter based which is preferred, its AC/DC and DCEN and is pretty easy to setup. But none of the standard accessories fit it. I picked up my Sync 200 for about $1500 used with everything you could possibly want. The machine had 3 hours on it and 25 starts. The guy couldn't use it and gave up.

Most miller machines have a way to read their usage time, which is helpful for determining a used machine's time used. IF you find a used one, get the serial number and model and you can download the manual from their website. IT will walk you thru the process of getting starts and usage.

A TIG course at the local Community College will also go a long way for getting skills up and getting you discounts on stuff from the supply houses. I had been using a TIG for 3 years before I took my course and still learned a LOT.

Thank you all for your suggestions and tips. From what I have learned, here is what I think I am looking for. I am setting a budget of $1,000 for the complete set-up including torch, tank and basic hardware; which puts me into the "used" category. Miller seems to be preferred and I am looking forward to trying out the brand. My MIG is Lincoln and I must say that although it has lasted many years and many big spools, I find the quality lacking in the hardware. I don't need water cooled since I am doing duty cycle is short, I don't want the hassle of hooking up to water and my budget won't allow for water cooled. I am wanting the option to weld aluminum and thinner materials. So that means AC/DC and 5 or less amps. So is this price of $1,000 a realistic expectation? Which Miller model?

A few years ago I picked up a used Syncrowave 300 with an SP-2 programmer, two argon tanks, water cooler, 4 torches, back gas valves, drag boxes, a tool box full of collets, tungsten, gas lenses, etc., aroudn 80 pounds of various filler rods, two welding helmets, and a welding jacket. It is a gigantic machine weighing over 700#‘s with cooler and tanks, that welds from 5-375 amps. Cost, $1000 for everything.

Around the same time I also needed a portable TIG for a particular job and had to get a Maxstar 150 to get into the location I needed to. Only welds to 150 amps (and is DC only) but also only weighs 14#’s. New with no consumables or extras it also cost $1000.

If you wait on a good deal on used equipment you will be much better off. With the current state of many business the time is right to find these good deals too, there is little reason to buy new currently.

Go Miller all the way, By far the most "common" machine to get service/support after the sale. I have both MIG and TiG units from Miller and both are superb machines. Used within their parameters you'll not have any difficulty with them at all. I'm NOT the greatest TiG welder.... but I get acceptable results..

A saying my shop instructor used comes to mind : "Mig is a job... TiG is an ART!"

Ken

Thermal Arc makes a really nice set of Inverter machines with great functionality and much lower prices than Miller or Lincoln. And from my experience the Thermal Arc has better reliability, all of my friends with Miller machines always have issues.

The Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185 is what I have.

HTP also makes nice machines, the Invertig 201.

• 3 weeks later...

Never had any issues with Miller. I have only been a certified aerospace welder for a short time, since 1986, so I am still learning, but Miller is the brand I would endorse. We have Lincoln and Miller, and none hhave given ant real issues, but the Miller gets the nod for our most delicate work which is typically .020". Still, I think old school arc welding is the hardest welding process to do PROPERLY. You may get lucky and score a good used rig for your budget, but at 1,000 dollars, that would be a hard bill to fill.-----Metalguy ;)

Never had any issues with Miller. I have only been a certified aerospace welder for a short time, since 1986, so I am still learning, but Miller is the brand I would endorse. We have Lincoln and Miller, and none hhave given ant real issues, but the Miller gets the nod for our most delicate work which is typically .020". Still, I think old school arc welding is the hardest welding process to do PROPERLY. You may get lucky and score a good used rig for your budget, but at 1,000 dollars, that would be a hard bill to fill.-----Metalguy ;)

Nah, it's not any harder than MIG, can't say for TIG. It's all about judging how hard and thick the metal is, and what rod you want to use (for old school arc welding). And, BTW, I use a Miller old school arc welder, for the last 27 years (the same one!) and have never had any issues with it. Granted, it doesn't get used everyday, but when it does get used, it gets abused! I'm 42, and my dad bought it for me when I was 15.

I'd get my hands on a pretty big pile of scrap to practice on before I messed with any guns!

I haven't done much TIG welding at my new job over the last year, but they have a little Lincoln square wave 150. It's OK for thin stuff, and the gas cooled torch is less clumsy than the water cooled ones I'm used to using on more powerful machines.

We bought a bunch of ESAB machines at my last job - spoolguns, TIGs, and plasma torches. They were a little less than we would have spent on Millers - for the first year or so. All I ever did was throw parts at those things.

My favorite was a Miller 330 "Aircrafter". I've welded both razor blades edge to edge, and 1/2" aluminum plate with that thing!

• 2 years later...

I have done quite a bit of MIG welding, mostly decorative iron work for houses, but just can't get the precision welds for gunsmithing. What brands/models of TIG welders do you guys recommend for a hobbyist doing gunsmithing? I have been noticing some welding units for sale in Craigslist lately and thinking it is a good time to buy.

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for starting this thread. I am in the same boat and mainly looking just to pin muzzles and the occasional ugly project for fun. How'd it turn out for you OP?

Edited by FiReBReTHa

I had a Lincoln 175 or similar (I don't recall the model number) and later upgrades to a Miller of similar size, but bought the spool gun to be able to do aluminum. Then I learned a little bit more. While the Miller does perform so much better for me than the Lincoln, I learned a Tig is a great asset for Aluminum or light steel. I have a good friend whose livelihood is welding. I refer my questions to him because he will give the short answer and then explain if it looks like I want more (knowledge is power and I hope to be powerful some day). I believe you are looking for a machine which does AC/DC and is sized at minimum of 200. I am in a similar market, but the funds just aren't there. I keep me eye on Craigslist as well, hoping to find a deal I cannot pass up. Good luck, Mike