Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp Cleaning

RH45

I think I have tried every chemical on this list ,and all the chemicals in my garage, to try to come up with the best solution that would just melt it away. but I found there is no such thing. You can soften the carbon build up, but when it comes down to it, you are going to have to play dentist and pick all that plaque out, then apply more solvent let it soak a little and get back after it again. there is no magic formula, and if someone where to make such a solvent. I would buy it. Also, remember when picking a solvent, do not to let it penetrate where the threads on the comp are screwed to the barrel, because that can break up the locktite, and then you will have a loose comp, which could be dangerous to you, your barrel and comp.

good luck

sean

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have tried every chemical on this list ,and all the chemicals in my garage, to try to come up with the best solution that would just melt it away. but I found there is no such thing. You can soften the carbon build up, but when it comes down to it, you are going to have to play dentist and pick all that plaque out, then apply more solvent let it soak a little and get back after it again. there is no magic formula, and if someone where to make such a solvent. I would buy it. Also, remember when picking a solvent, do not to let it penetrate where the threads on the comp are screwed to the barrel, because that can break up the locktite, and then you will have a loose comp, which could be dangerous to you, your barrel and comp.

good luck

sean

definitely not a good idea, but mercury will absolutely make lead invisible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
An update since my January post..... and Dillon's gonna love this one!! Spray some Dillon Case Lube in the comp before shooting, and again after every 50 rds or so. Then again before you bag the gun for the trip home. Shooter's Choice, some cotton swabs and some light scrubbing with the Scotch-Brite pads mentioned earlier, and I spend a total of about 3 minutes getting it looking new!! All the way to bare metal in that time! Works like nothing else!! :cheers:

Alan~^~

Was that just to get the carbon out or will it help with lead as well. I mainly coated lead for practice sessions and will be using jackets for comps next year.

An update since my January post..... and Dillon's gonna love this one!! Spray some Dillon Case Lube in the comp before shooting, and again after every 50 rds or so. Then again before you bag the gun for the trip home. Shooter's Choice, some cotton swabs and some light scrubbing with the Scotch-Brite pads mentioned earlier, and I spend a total of about 3 minutes getting it looking new!! All the way to bare metal in that time! Works like nothing else!! :cheers:

Alan~^~

Was that just to get the carbon out or will it help with lead as well. I mainly coated lead for practice sessions and will be using jackets for comps next year.

Wow :surprise: I need to use the method, I shoot 9 major with Lead bullets.

Thanks for the information.

;)

Thomas