Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 High Desert Classic at Albuquerque

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: I would like to thank all the people in squad 8. We had a great squad who are all GM's in taping,setting and brass picking. This squad took home alot of hardwear as well. I hope to shoot with all of you again :cheers: The match crew did a great job and my hat goes off to all of you :bow: Thanks, Eric

post-9254-0-61154700-1308540281_thumb.jp

I have several reflections on this years HDC. As an RO, teaming with AJ and his nephew was a god send. These two worked their butts off to carry my lazy ass.

Unfortunately the dirt was a major pain. It was kind of unusual for the wind to be here in the first part of the summer.

I appreciate all the shooters putting up with the dirt. It was truly a pain.

We had a steel popper that did not fall a couple of time. Thankfully, calibration was asked for; two times it went down and two times it stayed up.

Do to inferior ROing on my part :roflol: I do not think we had one squad that did not experience a COF or a reshoot.

With the exception of one bad call on my part, AJ and I did a very fair job as ROs. Miles picked up the palm was such ease.

Every squad was exceptionally easy to work. Our last squad of the match was a hoot. I truly appreciated their patience and great attitude.

The boys from SV were excellent, even with their adopted Canadian. The Rio Salado guys shot a great match.

The palm scoring was a breeze to use again. Any match does not use the palm scoring does not know what they are missing. It helps that most if not all the ROs have been using the palm for years now.

As a point of bragging, the MD ensured that the match fee included a free lunch both days! That is pretty cool.

Thanks to all the staff but mostly to the competitors who made the HDC a great match.

Edited by pjb45

Another fantastic match hosted by the High Desert crew - the stages were very challenging and really cool, I loved the theme this year. A huge thanks to all the crew and staff, y'all did an excellent job. Can't wait till next year! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go clean up all the sand piles I brought home with me :roflol:

Great Match! All the stages were creative and challenging, and a big thanks to all the hard working staff that kept everything running smoothly. Also, palm scoring rocks!

Except for a little wind and sand Saturday afternoon the weather was great. Looking forward to next year.

Rod and your crew-Thank you for being such nice hosts. We had a great squad and I got to experiance the southwest with a bunch of characters. Letting Military Vets shoot the match for pretty much free was a classy thing to do.

PJ-Our adopted Canadian is making the switch to the blue team........(it has only taken 6 years). Just what I need-another reason for him to continue beating me.

Rhonda-Thank you for putting up with us (and not shooting us). Do I really need to say anything more?

Cobb-I thought about taking your tape gun and holding it hostage till you call and tell me I won the SV raffle gun from Area 4. Maybe someone else took my idea.....hmmm........besides I am still recovering from the sandbag incident where I am pretty sure they measured the effect on the Richter Scale. Glad you were ok but I really wish the sand would have taken the painting of your outline better for the picture afterwards.

Pat & Rags-Two of the greatest people you could ever meet. Thanks for taking pity on this Yankee and adopting him.

Larry-Thanks for making the effort to come to the match. We miss you back East. Move back and put on The Summer Blast again. This 3 gun thing your doin is just a fad. There is no future in it for you. Really. Just give it up now and send me your FN SCAR for safekeeping and for Mikey to use. What else would a good friend do?

Roy,

Larry's FN SCAR should go to a fellow New Mexican! Especially since I am not getting into RM3G this year. Bummer.

SV Skulls grips are the S@#$^!&!$%&ts. Totally Awesome. Good for an extra three A(s) per stage!

PJ-The extra A hit is only if you are the RO apparently............bummer. Can you expand that program anytime soon?

I agree that The Brotherhood of the Skulls is pretty freaking cool. Thanks for working the match. I appreciated you. It was actually my best stage of the match performance wise. Maybe you should have been a floating RO and traveled with our squad. Just a thought.

Thanks to Rod, Jerry, Nancy and the whole crew. Thanks for a great match. Only complaint I have was, the AZ.Border Inspection Station made me clean out the sand from my car before entering AZ. Yesterday it took me an hour to get the grit from my range bag. Well in the scheme of things thats not a bad thing. See you at Area 2 or next year.

Pete

:rolleyes:

First time shooting the HDC match. Except for the wind and the sand, we had a great time. All the RO's were excellent and fair in their calls. The stages were fun and the high round count made for a great time. I will put this match on the my schedule for next year.

A BIG thank you from the staff for all the compeitors that joined us this year for our tribute to the veterans and military.

We used to hold this match the first weekend in June. The typical Southwest spring winds are usually done by then. Two years ago we got nailed by a late wind, so we moved the match two weeks later in June. Last year was fine, but we got nailed again this year. We wanted to have an early summer match, and to avoid some of the multiple match scheduling in the Southwest later in the year.

There has been a suggestion to move the match to the fall. I think that is a wise idea.

A BIG thank you from the staff for all the compeitors that joined us this year for our tribute to the veterans and military.

We used to hold this match the first weekend in June. The typical Southwest spring winds are usually done by then. Two years ago we got nailed by a late wind, so we moved the match two weeks later in June. Last year was fine, but we got nailed again this year. We wanted to have an early summer match, and to avoid some of the multiple match scheduling in the Southwest later in the year.

There has been a suggestion to move the match to the fall. I think that is a wise idea.

Middle of Oct might be a good tune up for Area 2

Thanks to all the staff, ROs, and match sponsors who made this match happen. I had a great time shooting and meeting new folks.

My no so great shooting on a couple of stages :

Edited by ninemmbill

The stages were excellent, the RO's easy to work with, the staff in general top notch and friendly, the freebee's to the vet's were a first class move, and several of the microbreweries had excellent beers. The wind and the sand sucked but I guess considering the theme, shooting in a "Sand Box" was appropriate. I will go again ....

I think I left my gun cover out at the range somewhere - red, with black writing that says "Trixi" and the Ronin symbol, just like my avatar. I'd be happy to pay the postage if somebody finds it! :blush:

Since the match I havent had much access to the internet, so I havent read all posts since the match. Just typing this up real quick on Word and pasting it in when I finally get online.

Id like to start out by thanking the host club for comping the entry for us vets and the active duty folks. Ive only been shooting for about 8 months and there is no way I would have considered doing a match like this if I had to pay for it. Being on one income with a one year old and my limited shooting ability would have kept me away from an event like this.

Anyway. I got to squad up with some hotshots and some friends and despite a lot of pain in my strong arm, I kept an open mind and tried to learn as much as possible. I tried things Ive never practiced before and some worked and some didnt. My main goals were: A) Dont get DQd, B) Make power factor (I dont own a chrono), C) Dont finish last, D) Have a lot of fun. Despite the pain in my body, the dust, and bottom of the group shooting, I accomplished all of my goals.

Thanks again to the match organizers, the sponsors, and all the really great ROs. It was an amazing experience and I do hope that I can do it again someday as a paying participant. Seeing about half the crowd stand when the vets and active duty were recognized, I can tell that match profits probably took a hit. I know how tough it is to put on an event and a 10 stage shooting match puts my event to shame. Great job. Thanks again.

Edited by fastmtnbiker33w