Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Ohio Section Championship

There has been a lot of talk on this forum about prize distribution at matches. I see the point on both sides. Should a match award the best shooters or give something to all the other people who pay for these matches to happen? I have chosen to do a little of both.

We are having not one but 2 customs being built. One for the Open Division winner and one for the Limited division winner. We will also have pistols for the Production, Single Stack, Revolver & Limited-10 Division winners. The rest of the items that are provided by our sponsors will be distributed via a blind lottery to everyone prior to the match and will be in the shooters registration bag.

Plaque awards will be distributed according to the USPSA rule book.

DJ

Thanks Dan, not everyone is a Master or GM shooter.

As you said, "the other people" pay the majority of the entrance fees.:cheers:

A.T.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was getting a award I like to receive it in person but I'm just a glory hound :roflol:

So am I! Heck, I don't get much glory but when I do I want everyone to see it. :D

I said before that I like having awards at the end of a match but most people don't want to stick around for a couple hours after the match just to watch someone else get an award. That is why I asked the question. I may just hold off until I see the reponses before I decide.

Sometimes it is not a matter of staying to watch someone else get an award....

For many, it is a matter of getting home, especially on a Sunday, at a decent time. It will be a 3 hr drive for me, which I may do the morning of the match. So sticking around a few more hours can be difficult.

Random prizes at registration are always good and appreciated !!

At the regional I help run, we give shooters a reason to stay for awards. Draw for free match next year. Have to be present to win it, shooters only no staff. At least those that do hang around ( for whatever reason) have a shot at something. Just my $.02, for what it's worth.

I think I am leaning more towards having the awards cerimony. The way I figure it, the more people I can just hand a plaque to the less I have to spend on postage. Besides, some people are going to want to at least see the pistol they just won.

We have a great start on the web site. It just needs some little touches.

• 2 weeks later...

New developments:

I can now announce that we will have pistol awards for each division including a Matt Cheely custom Limited pistol and a Freedom Gunworks custom Open pistol.

We have increased the stage count to 9 stages without increasing the entry fee. That is 9 stages with a round count in excess of 240 for only $80.00 and includes lunch. Please see the updated entry fee and waiver form below.

The only way we can do all of this without increasing the match fee is to make sure I get a real good turnout. I would love to see over 200 shooters for Saturday and Sunday. Get those applications in.

2011_OHIO_CHAMPIONSHIP entry form.pdf

MRPC_Liabilty_2011.pdf

Edited by dcarter

New developments:

I can now announce that we will have pistol awards for each division including a Matt Cheely custom Limited pistol and a Freedom Gunworks custom Open pistol.

Question is: what division do I want to win a gun in? :roflol:

We are doing real good on quality staff but we could use a few more since we increased our stage count. I would like to keep the staff as local as possible to keep costs down. Hey, the more money we save on hotel rooms the more we can give to the shooters. All staff get free match fee for working both days, free lunch on all three days and I am trying to put together a special drawing for staff members. You also get to keep a portion (worked out by the other staff on your stage)of the brass on your stage. If you are interested please e-mail me so we can talk.

We are doing real good on quality staff but we could use a few more since we increased our stage count. I would like to keep the staff as local as possible to keep costs down. Hey, the more money we save on hotel rooms the more we can give to the shooters. All staff get free match fee for working both days, free lunch on all three days and I am trying to put together a special drawing for staff members. You also get to keep a portion (worked out by the other staff on your stage)of the brass on your stage. If you are interested please e-mail me so we can talk.

Dan, PM sent.

In Bound Dan.

I need enlightenment, plus a few other things. But, I'll save the other things for another thread.

Having never shot (or even watched) any match but Level I, I really do not have a clue what to expect at this match. Things are pretty laid back at the local matches I shoot, IMHO. I get time to pick up most of my brass, providing I do not follow the RO out to score my targets.

Do the competitors paste and reset targets at a sectional match, or is this done by staff? I would like to know things like this.

Then there is the chronographing. Something else I have never done, except here at home.

If there is anything else I should be aware of, please give me a heads up.

Thanx

Dave

I need enlightenment, plus a few other things. But, I'll save the other things for another thread.

Having never shot (or even watched) any match but Level I, I really do not have a clue what to expect at this match. Things are pretty laid back at the local matches I shoot, IMHO. I get time to pick up most of my brass, providing I do not follow the RO out to score my targets.

Do the competitors paste and reset targets at a sectional match, or is this done by staff? I would like to know things like this.

Then there is the chronographing. Something else I have never done, except here at home.

If there is anything else I should be aware of, please give me a heads up.

Thanx

Dave

The bigger the match the better the match, I think! If your local matches are layed back then I would tell you to start studying the rule book. A state level match will NOT be layed back!

You will not get your brass back at this match. The RO's who volunteer their weekend to make the match a success get the brass for their efforts.

As for chrono, give yourself some cushion and try to chrono under similar conditions as you will see at the match and it is no big deal. Make sure you know the rules in case your gun gets weighed or measured. Depends on the division you shoot so know the rules.

Expect to see:

Bigger and more challenging stages than a typical local match.

A few big name shooters working their magic.

Dedicated RO's on each stage. The squad just moves from stage to stage.

Shooters absolutely paste targets and paint/set steel.

Official stats personnel.

Quadrunners buzzing around gathering scoresheets, hauling cold water, or shuttling the RM to and fro.

Maybe a few vendors tents selling some stuff

Free goodies at the sign in table

Food being cooked and sold on site

Don't be intimidated. Just expect a bigger and better match with more shooters and you will do fine.

What Sarge said: Mostly the pace is much faster at bigger matches. Once squad is on stage Staff will read walk through and then you will have only 5 mins to figure out the stage and the shooting starts. Also since you are at range all day fatigue can be an issue.

MDA

Also since you are at range all day fatigue can be an issue.

MDA

I forgot about this! It is also important to get well hydrated in the week leading up to the match. Being in May, you never know how hot it might get.

What Sarge said is correct, however I'm new and I shot it last year as my 3rd match ever. It's a lot of fun and people will still help you. There is still laughing and joking. You will learn a lot from other shooters watching how they do things. Come to the shoot, it will be worth it.

MDA

I forgot about this! It is also important to get well hydrated in the week leading up to the match. Being in May, you never know how hot it might get.

Definetely bring some water/gatorade for yourself. I like to bring a small cooler with plenty of water and some energy bars or small snacks to keep energy up throughout the day. I even throw a small towel in the cooler and let it sit in the ice all day so when I get a little overheated I can throw it on my head/neck and cool down instantly. Learned this stuff the hard way at the Indiana Section match this year, a long hot hot day!!!! Sunscreen & bug spray too.

MDA

Yeah, that fatigue issue is my biggest concern. I would hate to fork out the entry fee, gas money and motel costs only to be forced off the range by my moody back.

My ammo will make major. No concern there. Making a stupid mistake during chrono, however, is another thing.

Study the rule book? What is that, Sarge?! :roflol:

Dave