Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 High Plains Shooting Challenge

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few guys shot the softball targets with some godawfully hot 53gr Vmax load. They blew holes in them you could fit a golf ball into.

Oh nice,,,, say Golf Ball,,, :devil: :devil: Trapr,, reads this you know :sick:

Trapr, Kurt and everyone else; ROs, staff, and sponsors, that put on this match; Thanks very much for a great weekend of fun! I had a blast down there, when I wasn't running past targets anyway, and I am looking forward to the shotgun match next year already. :cheers:

Squad 5, it was great shooting with you all, Thanks for all the entertainment! A special thanks to the Nordic Components guys on squad 5 for their support of the match!

I hope I'll see you guys all out at Rocky Mountain.

What are the targets that were on the cones? They look frustrating. :ph34r:

We shot these things http://www.do-alltra...oundbounce.html

And soft balls. None of which were consistent. Homie don't miss 10 in a row at 10 yards or use 30 rounds to hit 3 inside 25 yards:(

I wish I would have had some Hornady TAP!

Jesse, looks like soft points or hollow points were in order, over FMJ's. Kind of like shooting bowling pins.

I had the same issues Jesse. This was my first stage. It cost me my muligan ( I thought my rifle somehow lost its zero). After using my muligan it still cost me about 20 seconds to other shooters who were using the right bullets. I was running 55gr fmjs at about 3250. On my second run I was watching the cube wiggle as I shot through it several times.

Great prize table and the ROs were awesome.

Here is what it looks like to shoot all 11 stages in 7 hours.

the video of shooting all 11 stages in 1 hour and 10 minutes looks a little worse... and whoever thinks a carbon fiber handguard dont get HOT is sorely mistaken...

the video of shooting all 11 stages in 1 hour and 10 minutes looks a little worse... and whoever thinks a carbon fiber handguard dont get HOT is sorely mistaken...

7 Hours,,, that was my total match time!!!:cheers:

Huge Kudos to Ken for stepping up Saturday morning to take one for everybody. I most certainly appreciated your help. Cheers!

Huge Kudos to Ken for stepping up Saturday morning to take one for everybody. I most certainly appreciated your help. Cheers!

Jesse,,, thanks for you and you high speed,,, 4X4 3 Gun,, Machine,, Long range would have been a no go without!!

It was a fun match! However, I'll never look at traffic cones in the same light ever again...

Thanks to all that made it happen, and to squad 3. :cheers:

Excellent match. Fun stages and awesome ROs. Great shooting with you Kyle, and congrats again on the well deserved win. Maybe you can let me use your rifle next time and I will let you use mine :rolleyes: No, I wouldn't do that to anyone except maybe the Taliban.

In spite of the often single shot status of my rifle and intermittent dot, the match was a lot of fun. I actually had good luck with the balls and cubes as the .22 seemed to take them down fine. I know that wasn't the case for many of the 5.56 shooters.

I will be back next time and with a functioning rifle.

Craig

It was tough to watch your gun beat you up like that, but you never surrendered! You handled it like a champ. B)

It sure was fun! Keep on keeping on Craig!

I forgot to thank Trapr, Kurt, Matt, Rusty, Dale, John, Scott, Javier, Mike, along with Ken again and my wonderful wife Tara for all their hard work at the match.

I know I like to bitch about things like those god awful balls but please don't let that overshadow what was a very smooth running match with creative shooting challenges and ultra fast scoring!

What did everyone think of the scoring system?

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I forgot to thank Trapr, Kurt, Matt, Rusty, Dale, John, Scott, Javier, along with Ken again and my wonderful wife Tara for all their hard work at the match.

I know I like to bitch about things like those god awful balls but please don't let that overshadow what was a very smooth running match with creative shooting challenges and ultra fast scoring!

After getting the nickle,, class on how to fill one out,,, the score cards were good.. I could not mess them up to bad.

Scores came out fast,,, always a good thing.

as most of us had to hit the road,,

I had a blast at the match! My first rifle match was in Aug so I definitely have a lot to learn. Few things:

1. Need elbow and knee pads. It's hard to get a solid rest on sharp gravel and blazing hot brass!

2. Don't rest the barrel on props or you get to use your mulligan on the 1st stage! Free floating barrels and wooden fences don't mix.

3. Know your POI from 0-100 yards. I'm a deer hunter at heart and sight dead on at 50 yards. Shooting at a deer, I can aim dead center from 0-275 yards with my rifle and will have a clean lung shot every time. Doesn't work out when shooting at a 4" ball at 15 yards. Turns out gun is 3" low at that distance.

4. Cones will not move when hit with a 55 grain fmj. I thought I could just aim low on the cone to at least try and figure out where on the cone my rounds were hitting. They blazed through the cone way too fast for that.

5. Download mags for reloading if the stage doesn't require a lot of rounds. On the presidente, I had 28 rounds in the reload mag and didn't smack the mag hard enough to properly seat it. Cost me 7 seconds on what sound have been a 10 second stage. I could only shoot 6 rounds so why the heck did I have 28 in the mag????

I thought the match went very smooth. The stages were challenging and fast paced. The RO's definitely worked their butts off! Prize table was great and I liked that each division had their own table. I'm definitely coming back for next year's shotgun match. My only improvement recommendation would be to post the registration times, match start times, and hotel recommendations on the website someplace.

Ben

I have a few videos posted on my YouTube channel:

I forgot to thank Trapr, Kurt, Matt, Rusty, Dale, John, Scott, Javier, Mike, along with Ken again and my wonderful wife Tara for all their hard work at the match.

I personally thought the scoring worked well...reward accuracy but still let shooters fly through the stages with their feet on the gas. I liked that 1A worked as a neutralize too and that targets didn't HAVE to be hit twice...it made a few stages where reloads were required a little bit more dynamic in terms of possibilities.

I had a great time. Every single person I met who was working the match was very professional and helpful. I'm glad I was able to make it out and I'll be starting to send thanks to all of the sponsors who helped put on the event.

:cheers:

Edited by DyNo!

I told every squad on my stage to respect the knockdown targets, and that bad hits produced bad results. Those that heeded, and knew their point of impacts from 20-40yds, did very well., and had some really quick times.

Awesome match. All shooters, thank you very much for your help. I never had to yell for tapers.

5. Download mags for reloading if the stage doesn't require a lot of rounds. On the presidente, I had 28 rounds in the reload mag and didn't smack the mag hard enough to properly seat it. Cost me 7 seconds on what sound have been a 10 second stage. I could only shoot 6 rounds so why the heck did I have 28 in the mag????

You should never download a mag. Maybe 28 or 29 but no less than that for sure.

I liked that 1A worked as a neutralize too and that targets didn't HAVE to be hit twice...it made a few stages where reloads were required a little bit more dynamic in terms of possibilities.

This was new to me as well and it hurt my poor little knoggin. We have been running this scoring for over a year and we don't play the one A game to netralize. The Alpha, No Penalty Mike thing was very confusing for the first 11 squads but then I got used to it.

Fun match, just barley got to attend as my boss is an ahole. Squad 5 was a hoot to shoot with enjoyed everyone. Special thanks to the Nordic guys for their support.

Shooting those pos cube things will be fun with a shotgun!!

Great job Kurt, Trapr, and all the ROs! You guys worked hard and stayed on top of the match despite the oppressive heat! I had a great time albeit tanking the "carnival" stage :wacko: Also learned that a 55 gr blitzking can send the "4 moa" softball up the hill in one shot :P while 55 fmj would have just knocked it over.

Thanks to all the sponsors, specially the Nordic team!

Good match. Liked the scoring system. Hated the plastic orange balls and cubes. Unreliable.

Watched them wiggle, rotate, and lean all when obviously HIT.

They did every thing but fall. Good idea , just did not work out for the entire match. Had no problems with the softballs , but shot them early. Saw some BIG holes at the exit points after some 223 shooters.

Thanks to the all who worked long and hard in the heat.

Dave

Thanks to everyone for a great time...well, a great, HOT time.

Squad 8 was great! Met some new people, shot with some people hadn't got to before...If I hadn't gotten to shoot on the squad, I never would've gotten to see the stuffing knocked out of a softball. Learn something new every day! :roflol:

Thanks for all the hard work from the staff and pick-up staff! I always appreciate getting to be "just a shooter."

Congrats to Sharon and thanks for the ball... :ph34r:

Next year, can we do shotgun again????

Thanks HPSC!

Denise