Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Battle Rifles

little_kahuna

I carried a M14 for a while for a living with a basic load of ammo and those heavy mags - that is a huge amount of weight. If I am in some type of bunker and will never move - maybe a battle rifle. Otherwise, I am carrying an AR platform in 5.56.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 for FN FAL, just can't get with the garand/M1 safety (yes, it's a classic, i've just got enough problems without sticking my finger in the triggerguard before i'm ready to fire).

Duely noted. Thanks for the input. In regards to the M1A safety, I guess it's a function of conditioning. It seems that most of these rifles perform comparably, so maybe whatever you like?

Keep your zombie killing rifle preferences coming!

Have you guys tried using your weapon hand thumb to release the safety on the M14? I like this method -- you get good leverage with your thumb this way vs. pushing forward with your trigger finger, and it also feels safer to me.

Edited by esskay

+1 for FN FAL, just can't get with the garand/M1 safety (yes, it's a classic, i've just got enough problems without sticking my finger in the triggerguard before i'm ready to fire).

Duely noted. Thanks for the input. In regards to the M1A safety, I guess it's a function of conditioning. It seems that most of these rifles perform comparably, so maybe whatever you like?

Have you guys tried using your weapon hand thumb to release the safety on the M14? I like this method -- you get good leverage with your thumb this way vs. pushing forward with your trigger finger, and it also feels safer to me.

question - when you say "weapon hand" you mean your firing hand, i.e. the hand which you also use to pull the trigger? Not sure how that would work, sounds like I'd have to take my hand completely off the stock to reach my thumb in through the right side of the trigger guard and push forward on the safety with the pad of my thumb. for me, that would be very cumbersome and require significant re-training from the manual of arms i'm used to (and i;ve got enough challenge being proficient with only one way of doing things...) pls correct me if i've misunderstood the technique you're describing.

Edited by jaredr

flam thorougher kicks @ss

I would get one of these..... if I knew what it was ??

A bazookea

What good would an Indian hashish smoking device have when defending ones self again the living dead, unless they were stoners in their earlier life that is !?

:lol::roflol: :roflol: :lol: That there had me rolling!

• 1 month later...

question - when you say "weapon hand" you mean your firing hand, i.e. the hand which you also use to pull the trigger? Not sure how that would work, sounds like I'd have to take my hand completely off the stock to reach my thumb in through the right side of the trigger guard and push forward on the safety with the pad of my thumb. for me, that would be very cumbersome and require significant re-training from the manual of arms i'm used to (and i;ve got enough challenge being proficient with only one way of doing things...) pls correct me if i've misunderstood the technique you're describing.

Oops, sorry for the delay. Yep, you got it right. I saw Jason Falla demonstrating this technique, and I really do like it. Yes, your firing hand comes off fire control, but the safety system on the M14 is pretty suboptimal to begin with... so it doesn't feel overly cumbersome to me. This way, I get really good leverage pushing with the pad of my thumb, versus using the outside of my trigger finger which never really worked that great for me in the first place. And certainly it is safer (e.g. imagine the difference if you're wearing winter gloves).

I didn't have a ton of rounds downrange on the M14 using the previous method so it wasn't that difficult to switch over for me. Devote some time trying it out and thinking about it. If you like it and buy into the practical benefits (I think it's worth it), spend a day of training with the technique or just a bunch of reps of dry manipulations and I'm sure it'll feel natural pretty quick!

HK 93, or HK 91. (BTW- the rubber brass deflector does wonders for the ejection) Both of these are relaible beyond measure, and will outlast the shooter. ( remember the ratio of Zombies to Humans, dont engage, unless absolutely necessary. The back up would be a 10/22 with a can, real quiet like....

FN-FAL

Actually a metric match with some Canadian army fixes:

- The oversize safety to begin with as it is far easier to use than the standard safety

- The double axis mag release for positive release and magazine retention

- All magazines converted to Cdn/UK army style - these catch more positively each and every time

- Probably also use the short dust cover/stripper guide - brass ejects cleaner and further, can be used to load stripper clips directly into the mag.

Why not the M1A/M14?

- Mostly the safety in the trigger guard.

- When most of the southern based guys were carrying an M14, I was carrying an FN and there is a certain pride of ownership to whatever you carried.

Why not the HK91?

- Excessive felt recoil

- front sight ring is visible through rear aperature providing a confusing sight picture

- If you shoot an AR nose to charging handle, you will be too close to the stock on the HK91 and get beat up every time you fire it.

- Destructive to the brass, not an issue for the first case or two of factory .308 but when you need to reload this will be a problem.

BTW, I do not understand any of the comments about any of the .308 battle rifles when firing in F/A, as they all are horrible. From prone position and using a bipod they can sort be used to fire F/A (they will walk up on one leg of the bipod and rounds will go in the "general" direction of fire). But from any other position these battle rifles are a waste of ammo with all rounds after the first round being way off target.

So for a stationary or semi-stationary location an FN for zombie defence; but if you have to walk and carry the rifle and ammo any distance switch to an AR-15 platform so you can carry an adequate supply of rounds as zomies seem to travel in fairly large packs.

• 2 months later...

I voted for what I've built. DSA FAL. I built it to be light and fast to manuever. Recoil is mild for a .308 and it runs and runs and runs. 30 rounders can be had but are heavy when loaded. Folding charging handle for 'slung on the back' comfort. It had a collapsable buttstock but it wasn't comfortable to shoot and the steel lower adds weight. Switched to aluminum lower and CTR stock for better cheek position and lighter weight. Not the cheapest option in my configuration though. Lighter than an AR10, less recoil than an HK91.

post-8536-082555600 1297951865_thumb.jpg

Ok, start saving your pennies because I am about to potentially save your lives. :roflol:

You need 4 weapons in your inventory to cover every eventuality.

Zombies: A P90 (SBR)w/ a suppressor. and 5.7 pistol to match. that is 70 rounds of easy to shoot zombie brain piercing ammo before you need to reload. The ammo is light and the P90 will handle well indoors or out. Not worried about food, as a large percentage of people will just have the munchies for brains, leaving all the cupboards pretty well untouched.

General SHTF: Whatever floats your boat. :cheers: Common cal would be smart. I personally wouldn't worry about big game too much, since everybody with a .22 to great granddads 4 bore will be shooting up everything they see. A night vision optic would most likely be key as any remaining animals will likely be entirely nocturnal. Head shots required for the non-magnum toting guys.

My pick is AR/G17.

A 5th option is a suppressed .22.

Vince

Edited by serevince

Not sure if the AK47 would qualify as a battle rifle, but it would be the first rifle out of my safe if the SHTF. Its the ugliest, crudest, most inaccurate centerfire rifle I own but I know it'll run when I need it to. Virtually indestructible, hard hitting round (not as much as a .308 of course), and lightweight. Figured if there were zombies around the action would be up close, where the AK's lack of accuracy wouldn't be much of a hindrance. Next choice would be my Aimpoint equipped Colt LE6920 patrol rifle. Lots and lots and lots of mags for that gun and spare parts (which I'll probably need eventually if I'm hosing a whole bunch of zombies). Also my trusty Glock 22 with lots of mags for backup.

If I had a short barreled folding stock FAL or HK91 pattern rifle in my safe that would actually be my first choice, then the AK. For zombie hosing one would probably want a lighter rifle that is easily carried since you'll probably always be on the run.

Edited by SIG shooter

if the zombies came tday, i would be stuck with my Ar. but im ok with that.

1st of all, i think my 75gr bthp loads would kill bigfoot.

2cd, to paraphrase stalin, 'quantity has a quality of it's own'. it's been my life mission to acquire copious amounts of 5.56. if i get tagged in the zombie apocolypse, it will be because my barrel was red hot and drooped. :roflol:

First of all, does anyone have any strong opinions on the "300 blackout" setup? I had never heard of such a thing until the other day. Interesting concept...

But as far as zombie scenarios, my choices (none of them actaully "battle rifles," but we are talking about zombie apocalypse):

Saiga 12 (with bayonet)

Flamethrower (with bayonet)

Baseball bat

"The Defender" (Simpsons fans, you know what I'm talking about)

First of all, does anyone have any strong opinions on the "300 blackout" setup? I had never heard of such a thing until the other day. Interesting concept...

There's tons of info on the Blackout/Whisper cartridge. It's less of "concept" now. It's pretty common. Cheap brass, expensive bullet, hard hitter, good suppressed.

Edited by fastmtnbiker33w