Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget production division gun

Philo_Beddoe

Hello: Get the Glock 34 so you won't second guess yourself. I have shot the G17 then G34(sold it), G17 again(sold it) and I am now back with the G34 and will not go back. I would replace the sights with a Warren rear sight and Dawson fiber front. Get a ISMI steel guide rod a 13lb spring. 4lb Wolff striker spring and lighten the striker. Get a Lone Wolf connector and grip plug. That should do it. I would wait till after nationals since you may find some for sale then. Thanks, Eric

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the vanek trigger wasn't allowed in production am I misinformed?

Yes, you are misinformed. Charlie has Production legal triggers, i.e. no external mods, in addition to ones which relocate the trigger pin, which is an illegal mod.

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate tipos typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

Key word being"budget". I would get the used 17 stock. Buy some extra mags.(you will want at least 5 or 6). And wear it out. Once you are sure it is the gun for you(with Glocks this is always a question mark) then think about changing sights, triggers, etc. or getting a 34 or something else.

wear it out how do you do that been working on A G1 since 85 and still cant wear it out, well on 3rd set of mags

I went the Gen4 G17 route, added the Dawson FO Glock front and use the stock rear as well as the Vanek Classic.

Love the grip and new mag release.

As $$ allow you may want to try a Jager guide rod and firing pin along with the Vanek trigger. They work great together.

Bought a used 17 for my wife to shoot and later 34 for me. The 34 has Sevigny plane black sights and a .25 trigger job. I prefer the 34 but the 17 has moved up to the night stand pistol. Found the 17 with True Glow sights, did the .25 trigger job and extended slide release and mag release. I like the way the extended parts feel but am a 1911 fan.

Have about $400 in the 17, hard to beat for the money.

Just keep looking there are good deals on these guns out there, either would be a great starter pistol. The 17 would make a better carry pistol if your planning on getting a permit and would be a little cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

My path...

A new 4th Gen G17 cost me $499.00. Added a set of Heinie slant pros for 69.00 extra.

The sights are leaps and bounds better then the Glock factory ones, the gun comes with 3 grip inserts

and the texture eliminates the need for grip tape. The magazine release is an improvement over the 3rd

Generation G17 and teh gun came with 3 mags. Pick up an extra three mags for roughly 75 bucks and your good to go.

Grand total spent on my gun... just under 650 bucks less the taxes and it's all brand spankin new stuff.

yep i did all most the same thing extra mags ghost 3.5 bladetech ammo and ant looked back sights on order

• 1 month later...

Key word being"budget". I would get the used 17 stock. Buy some extra mags.(you will want at least 5 or 6). And wear it out. Once you are sure it is the gun for you(with Glocks this is always a question mark) then think about changing sights, triggers, etc. or getting a 34 or something else.

I couldn't agree more. Shoot the snot out of it as is, then consider upgrades.

I would suggest trying a 34 before spending the cash? Most people do run the 34/35 better in competition, but not all. I and a small percent of shooters run G17/G22 setup better. You would be better off picking a used one up from a private party. dawson is wayyy over priced on a stock glock with just sights. IMHO

Edited by WildWest N AZ

How about this? I never felt that adjustable sights were need for USPSA.

Used Glock 17 $400

3.5 connector $20

Wolff Striker spring $4

Sights $80

Total $504 for a great USPSA ready gun that will serve you well.

this is exactly what i shoot!!! plus a few extras reduced recoil spring ect.. and a little bit more custom home grown trigger using a lf ultimate trigger stop and have done really well so far

Mat

I would suggest trying a 34 before spending the cash? Most people do run the 34/35 better in competition, but not all. I and a small percent of shooters run G17/G22 setup better. You would be better off picking a used one up from a private party. dawson is wayyy over priced on a stock glock with just sights. IMHO

I am one of those people... I shoot my 17 way better in uspsa and I have turned my 34 into an open plate gun using a carver mount and kkm bbl and sjc comp. runs great with the same trigger set up and will run 130 pf with an 11lb spring. love it

Mat

Pro's

longer sight radius

extended mag release

extemded slide release

new

You're going to have a hard time finding very many experienced competition shooters listing the extended slide stop in the "pro" column. With the high, straight thumbs grip that the vast majority of us use, the extended slide stop is a complete non-starter. We pull 'em off, junk 'em, and replace with the non-extended part off a Glock 17.

Completely true. Indian, not the arrow.

I think it's a bit more complex than that. If you want maximum performance, it's the Indian and the arrow. Or, as our host has put it in the past, "It may be the Indian and not the arrow....but who wants a crappy bow?" :)

Striker spring. I use stock. The light one WILL bite you eventually!

Not in my experience, as long as you can control what ammo goes into the gun.

I change mine often... it has bitten me but @ 4 bucks a spring I will splurge a bit.. plus using a file here and there gets a few 1000 more rounds out of it before I change it again.

Mat