Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a SS magwell

twister

I can't believe we've gotten this far without someone suggesting a search of 1911 magwell. Short version: People who like big magwells love Dawson and Techwell. People who don't swear by the S&A. Brown, Wilson, and a handful of others have small but devoted followings.

Your just going to have to find some and try. I use the TechWell XT but have used the SA, SVI, Dawson as well. I like the way the Techwell attaches and its rock solid. It helps with those blown reloads and I like the grip it gives me.

Hello: I have tried them all as well and even sold some to the guys above :roflol: I like the Dawson no gap since it sits lower and gives me more hand room. I also like the S&A since it has checkering all the way down the back of the mainspring housing and gives lots of hand room. My hands are on the large size so both of these works for me. Is one that much faster than the other, not really. One is faster for table starts though :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I'm using a Techwell XT, but I shortened it up a little bit to make it easier to seat the mags....you need long basepads or the Tripp System Mags to be able to seat them properly. I probably took twenty thousandths off mine with a bench mounted disc sander. With most of the longer basepads/mags you'll have to remove a touch from the front of the pad to get it to fit the box. R,

Edit to add: Good call on the search function comment above. Here's a huge thread on SS magwells:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57062&view=findpost&p=662106

Edited by G-ManBart

I tried the tech well, and as far as the magwell part of it, I thought it was o.k., but, I hated the alumigrips.

Of all the ones I have, I prefer the SVI, but, an ICE is a really close second.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the tech well, and as far as the magwell part of it, I thought it was o.k., but, I hated the alumigrips.

Of all the ones I have, I prefer the SVI, but, an ICE is a really close second.

hmmmm my guns don't have alumagrips ;) By the way they have G10 grips now.

Questions? I'm about to receive my STI Spartan in 9mm. I have already decided on and ordered Tripp Research 10 round mags. I know by testimony from others that the Dawson Ice "no gap" model will not work with those mags and others, unless I change out the base pads to the Dawson ones.

Any cons to using the "gapped" Dawson? Are there any other "Large" magwell that will work with the Tripp mags as is? Otherwise, any recommendations as to what "Small" magwell to go with using my gun/mag combo.

I'm trying hard to restrain myself and make the transition to ESP/single stack as economical as possible, though still have decent quality gear. I have a set budget and want to stay within it or under if possible.