Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Honda Accord

MichiganShootist

My daughter leased a Honda Accord in 2003. When it came off lease 30 months later the book value was considerably higher than the lease buy out.... and I knew she had taken great care of it... so I paid it off and turned it into my highway driving "Match Car".

It now has 107,000 miles on it and the only repairs have been a front brake job and 2 sets of tires.

This past weekend I drove home from the Wisconsin state IDPA match... which was a 420 mile drive. Including meal stops and lots of toll booths in Chicago-land.. I made it in 6 hours (a 70 mph door to door average).

Today I finally filled the tank. It would only hold 13.3 gallons of gas.

So 31.6 mph at high speed with the air conditioner running full blast in a comfortably sized car........ What's not to like???

I think the post above means check the recommended replacement period on your timing belt.

Some engines (and the engine in a Honda may be one) have valves that actually intrude far enough into the cylinder that if the timing belt breaks while the engine is running, the valves and piston heads will collide with very bad results. It can damage not only the pistons, valves, and cylinder heads, but the push rods and possibly even the crankshaft.

Timing belts are somewhat expensive. The repairs if one breaks at highway speed will be VERY expensive.

Do I need them???? Are you selling them????

What's the timing belt post mean???

My wife has a 2003 Accord, according to the dealer the 03 accord 4 cyl does not have a timing belt. Ours has just a little over 100k and still gets 30 plus on the highway. Great car for the money.

Thanks guys.... my Honda is a 4 cylinder and the manual doesn't indicate belt replacement as a requirement at any point.

Your mention though---of it-- reminds me of a terrible story from 1979 or 80. I worked in Houston with a guy who bought a 2 year old Porsche 928 used. It was clean but the driver used to to "fly" from Houston to LA nearly every week and it had something like 85,000 miles on it. The buyer took it to the Porsche dealer to see what mantainence they suggested. They included in their long...long... list a new timing chain/belt, which for the dual over-head V-8 was something like $600 or $700 (In 79)... so they guy decided to put that off.

Two weeks later while showing his girl friend how fast they could get from Houston to Dallas in his "new" car the chain/belt broke at something like 135 mph.

The engine basically exploded even leaving considerable dents in the hood and fenders (from the inside)and even a broken windshield. He and his girl friend were okay ... but as I recall the repair bill was something like $11,000 (obviously not covered by insurance or the factory) Which was just about what he paid for the car 2 weeks before.

Edited by MichiganShootist

Had a 98 accord that had 220,000 miles on it beforethe transmission, a/c, cat converter And a few other things died. Was a really good car though.

If I was smart I would have just fixed it and kept driving it. I'd be up at least a few SVI guns by now!

Just got a new Honda civic and it got 37.9 mpg on a road trip last week. It's almost paying for itself in the gas in saving over my 17mpg jeep!

Edited by rrflyer

Thanks guys.... my Honda is a 4 cylinder and the manual doesn't indicate belt replacement as a requirement at any point.

Your mention though---of it-- reminds me of a terrible story from 1979 or 80. I worked in Houston with a guy who bought a 2 year old Porsche 928 used. It was clean but the driver used to to "fly" from Houston to LA nearly every week and it had something like 85,000 miles on it. The buyer took it to the Porsche dealer to see what mantainence they suggested. They included in their long...long... list a new timing chain/belt, which for the dual over-head V-8 was something like $600 or $700 (In 79)... so they guy decided to put that off.

Two weeks later while showing his girl friend how fast they could get from Houston to Dallas in his "new" car the chain/belt broke at something like 135 mph.

The engine basically exploded even leaving considerable dents in the hood and fenders (from the inside)and even a broken windshield. He and his girl friend were okay ... but as I recall the repair bill was something like $11,000 (obviously not covered by insurance or the factory) Which was just about what he paid for the car 2 weeks before.

I assumed it was V-6 in which case the timing belt / water pump replacement is very expensive but in 2003 Kudos to Honda for getting rid of the timing belt in the 4 cyl version Accord. Up until 02 the 4 cyl Accords had timing belt, balance shaft belt and cam, crank seals that were scheduled maintenence.

• 2 months later...

Like Honda's aren't built in America?

That's why they have so many cargo ships... they drop off the cars and take the $ back to Tokyo. I don't want to get into it here, I just try to buy as many products as I can from US based companies. If we don't start doing more of that EVERYTHING will be made in China or other countries. Pay a little more now or a lot later....

JT

Edited by JThompson

Most if not all Accord's are built from raw materials in Ohio.

Hey Jim bet you didn't know that your Monte was made in Canada.

Ya, it was assembled there.... I always check the stickers. :/)

What concerns me is where the money goes... some of it stays here in the form of wages, taxes etc, but most of profits go oversees and I would rather it not. ;)

JT

What concerns me is where the money goes... some of it stays here in the form of wages, taxes etc, but most of profits go oversees and I would rather it not. ;)

JT

I can't disagree with your logic, but since my Accord was assembled in north Alabama (the state where I currently live), I can at least say that I contributed to the jobs of fellow Alabama residents. I also own a Chevrolet Suburban (wife's vehicle) and a Chevrolet 1500 (match & hunting truck) if it helps. They aren't known for the same fuel economy and reliability, though.

• 1 month later...
Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:07 PM

I'm a big Honda Fan myself. I recently installed my 3rd Timing belt and rolled 300k on my 92' Accord. It's been a great car, I wish I could buy a new one just like it....

Finally figured out what was wrong with the picture.

92%20Accord%20300k%20sm.JPG

Edited by MCFooter

JT

Buy some HMC stock...on the NYSE. Then, you are the owner. :)

JT

Yeah, that buy domestic, more money stays here thing is a fallacy. It originates from buying LOCAL keeps something like 80% of the money int he local economy. So for example, if I buy my tools form the local hardware store, or the dude with the mac tools truck, odds are he spends 80% of that locally as well on things like rent, gas, mortgage, home repairs, cable bills, etc. becasue they RESIDE within the community and conduct the majority of their business there. You spend it with a multi-nat, it goes wherever gets them the most revenue and minimum tax burden. I guarantee you all the "American" companies will shove as much profits overseas to protect their earnings form taxes. 

I drive a Subaru. Built in America, and their domestic headquarters is in my state. It's as local as I can get with a car, and I know that more of an American workers' paycheck gets spent here rather than say the guy working in GM's China plant where they are expanding production. 

I agree with the sentiment, but it isn't that black and white.