Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In today's economy is it really worth getting into reloading when

I was thinking about reloading my own ammo but was wondering if it is truly worth it in today's economy. I live in Cali and I have tried looking for used presses but can't seem to find any for sale. I also don't really know where to look. Is it worth getting a press, bullets, casings, primers, powder and start reloading my own ammo? Some people say yes it is and some say no it isn't so I'm not sure. I have currently gotten once fired reloads from the local gun show but for me its pretty expensive because it's like $200 for 1000 rounds but they are decent reloads, never had a problem with them and thats the cheapest anywhere.

I shoot a springfield xd9 5" barrel. I am 5 min away from my local range and 45 min plus bridge toll away from a decent gun store. Living in the bay area makes it hard to buy ammo and supplies. Whats a good beginner press?

Edited by cali shot doc

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say it depends on how much you shoot. If you shoot one match a month ~100 rounds, its probably not worth it. I shoot about ~1k per month and at 6-8 dollars a 100, its worth it to me. I shoot 185 coated .40 bullets. Brianenos.com is the place to get all your reloading equipment. He has packages ready to go with everything you need. Just give him a call..

Edited by Avezorak

There is no concrete answer to your question. There are may variables to consider such as what caliber(s) you are shooting, how much shooting are you planing to do, how much is your time worth, how easy is it to find components locally vs having to order them, etc.

1000 of .40's run me about 157 give or take. Every little bit helps. However, "worth" is relevant to one's situation. I enjoy reloading, so yeah, to me it's worth it.

You can find used but not abused equipment and some components here in the "Classifieds" or buy new here as mentioned above. If you shoot a lot and buy in bulk yes you can save bucks...if you hit the lottery recently keep buying factory.

FWIW

Richard

From a totally different angle...What caliber and what type of gun?

If you are shooting a major caliber the difference in recoil can be substantial between factory and hand loaded ammunition.

I think most shooters find it easier to shoot a good hand load than factory as it can be "tailored" to fit your particular preference as to how the gun recoils.

There is no question that once you are set up that it is much less expensive to shoot your own reloads than to buy new or commercially reloaded ammo. The main question is, I think, how many rounds do you shoot in a year. If you are a low volume shooter, the time to recoup your cost to purchase reloading equipment may not make reloading very cost effective for you. You can buy fairly inexpensive single stage presses and add in dies, powder measure and scale and get started without breaking the bank (probably less than $200). Reloading 9 mm ammo could save you about $5/box of 50 over the less expensive factory loads if you buy primers and bullets in bulk. Savings are more significant with larger cal. rounds. Anyhow, at $5/box and a very rough outlay of $200 for equipment, you might break even after 40 boxes (2000 rounds if my math is correct). These are rough numbers and I'm sure others will provide better cost figures, but it gives you something to think about.

For me it's worth every dime. I have been really hectic with my work but whenever i get the chance to reload, i reload - it's my zen from time to time.

Just like what they have asked above. How much do you shoot? Not only that, are you willing to put the effort in creating your own ammo and plus chrono? There are tons of questions you can ask - but in all reality - you are the only one who can asnwer those questions....

No matter what it all boils down to - all of us spends money in shooting. Big or small. We do it for the love of the sport.

The ability to customize your ammo and learning about ammo in the process would make it worth while. If you buy a sdb and don't like it you will be able to sell it for 80-90% of cost immediately.

I think reloading is worth it even IF you're a not-so-frequent shooter. Once you establish your setup (and it doesn't have to cost a fortune), it really pays to reload certain calibers... plus the comfort of custom loads, as some here mentioned. Plus, reloading is a nice pastime and is part of the empowerment of shooting itself.

Based on my (somewhat limited) experience...

Depends a lot on what caliber and how much you shoot. From a pure $$$ perspective, if you shoot 20 matches a year and don't practice too much, you are looking at 5000+ rounds. If you buy re-manufactured ammo from Atlanta Arms, that'll run you about $1300 shipped. That's probably less than you will spend your first year on equipment and supplies. The second year, however, you will likely start to see some savings. By the third year, you'll be close to having paid for your equipment but by then you'll start buying some additional stuff. Over 5 years, if you avoid upgrade fever, you will probably see fairly good savings.

But, reloading is also a hobby and there is a certain enjoyment to it in it's own right.

But, reloading is also a hobby and there is a certain enjoyment to it in it's own right.

That's it exactly!! I enjoy reloading so, yes. it's worth it.

Plus, it is much cheaper once you get, "geared up".

The initial setup is expensive but the more you shoot the more you save. The way I justify it, "Honey, if I don't go and shoot all these matches I'm just wasting money by not reloading. Soooooooooo, if I have to make more ammo, I'm actually saving us more money! :rolleyes: Also, if you're like me and have to drive a long distance to find decent factory ammo, it's nice to be able to just go downstairs into the "laboratory" and crank out 200 rounds real quick for an upcoming match.

If you are going to shoot then reload. No amount of someone elses math can prove it is not cheaper over the long haul. That equipment is a one time cost(press, dies, scales)thing. The money savings has been broke down in various threads before.

If you do any serious shooting at all--whether competition (of one kind or another) or lots of practice for personal protection skills--there's almost no argument against reloading.

Yes. Not only that, but you will not really be competitive in most all shooting sports without handloaded ammo.

From a totally different angle...What caliber and what type of gun?

If you are shooting a major caliber the difference in recoil can be substantial between factory and hand loaded ammunition.

I think most shooters find it easier to shoot a good hand load than factory as it can be "tailored" to fit your particular preference as to how the gun recoils.

I'm shooting a springfield xd9 (5" barrel). It's a 9mm

i shoot close to 10,000 rounds each years and i recently parked my turret press in the garage and bough a progressive press exactly to save time....my free time is valuable, i was struggling with the turret because it was time consuming, now with the prog press, i can theoricaly save some valuable time for other hobbies i'm into.

and yes, i save loads of money rolling my own,that was the target at the beggining, and i'm glad i did it.

not talking about the ammo i load for competition wich is exactly tailored for my own guns.

Edited by sigsauerfan

cali,

Another very helpful resource is our very own Reloading FAQs it's a sub-forum in the main General Reloading & Load Data forum. The pinned threads are excellent.

If you do any serious shooting at all--whether competition (of one kind or another) or lots of practice for personal protection skills--there's almost no argument against reloading.

+1, I think this says it all.....

I bought my SDB several years ago from a fellow shooter at the local range. It came with lots of extras, was in fine shape and very reasonably priced. Start asking around and see if anyone in your immediate area has a mind to sell a press. Again, as others have said here, there are online sources for used presses if you don't care to buy 'new'. Of course, you can always buy 'new' from Brian's store if 'new' is what you prefer.

Good luck with reloading. It's fun and often very economical for even the casual shooter.

Dillon stuff holds value well, reloading is half the fun, especially when you find the load your shooter really likes.

It a cost that saves in the long run, lets you shoot more often, in most cases better quality. It's a win, win situation once you get the ball rolling. Have fun with it.