Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack .40 mags?

gunz213

I picked up a .40 STI yesterday and I am looking for info on mec-gar or metalform magazines. I already ordered a few Wilson .40 mags, but the mecgar's are about a third the price of a Wilson and I have had good luck with mecgar Sig magazines. Does anyone have any experiance with either of these magazines?

I wish I could help on the 40 mags. I do use the MecGar mags in my 9mm single stack Bianchi gun and they are 100% reliable. I would not hesitate to use their mags for any gun. There is a reason so many OEM gun company mags are actually made by MecGar.

Chris

i would also try out some Tripp system mags in 10mm with hybrid followers they work really well in my Fusion and STI singlestacks and they also hold 10 rounds and fit inside "The BOX"

i would also try out some Tripp system mags in 10mm with hybrid followers they work really well in my Fusion and STI singlestacks and they also hold 10 rounds and fit inside "The BOX"

When working with a .40 single stack don't skimp on the mags. You just dropped 1k on the gun, spend a little money on the part that screws up the most. The Tripps that Ogiebb is talking about with the hybrid followers have ran great for me through about 8000 rounds now!

When working with a .40 single stack don't skimp on the mags. You just dropped 1k on the gun, spend a little money on the part that screws up the most. The Tripps that Ogiebb is talking about with the hybrid followers have ran great for me through about 8000 rounds now!

That's what I was going to say.

I had better luck with Wilson 47NX mags than the Tripp System mag, but I understand Virgil has changed to a new version. McCormick 10mm Shooting Star mags also work very nicely in my Trojan.

I tried metalform 40, metalform 10mm, wilson 47NX and tripp sytems with hybrid followers in my caspian 40.

The 45acp wilson ETM's I already owned functioned the best. The wider feed lips seem to present the bullet higher and you get less nose dives. Don't ask me why the feed lips aren't a little wider on the 40/10mm mags...

Ok I give up! Just what is the

Trip system mags? I am in the

first stages of having a .40

built. Fill me in!

They are the Tripp 10mm/10 round mags, that the shorten slightly to fix the SS box, recut the basepad grooves in and change out the follower. in .40, you usually get 10 rounds, but they will fix the SS box. I've got a dozen of them and they all run 100% in 2 different Springers with SA Magwells... I really like them with that magwell, they stick out the bottom just slightly and feel like my Dawsons on my limited gun when seating... Never missed a reload with them.

If you order them, just put "system mags" in the special instructions sections and order the 10mm/10 round mags. Or give them a call.

Alan

what is bad about the factory mags with this gun? because i have this exact same gun, bought it slightly used, it came with 3 factory mags and then 2 mags that look similar to the one in the picture which were 9 round mags. would they be more prone to produce feeding problems or does the slide not lock back or whats the deal

I picked up a 10 round System mag from Tripp Research mag for my Trojan (.40). After a spring tune up (with Virgil's blessing) it works flawlessly. They aren't listed on the web site.

FWIW the gun with the mag fit the IDPA box. I will order 2 more.

what is bad about the factory mags with this gun? because i have this exact same gun, bought it slightly used, it came with 3 factory mags and then 2 mags that look similar to the one in the picture which were 9 round mags. would they be more prone to produce feeding problems or does the slide not lock back or whats the deal

One of the issues is that the supplied mags have a spacer so you can't run longer OALs like most folks are for Limited. R,

One of the issues is that the supplied mags have a spacer so you can't run longer OALs like most folks are for Limited. R,

how long an OAL are we talking about?

is this a simple issue of feeding reliability or is the longer OAL for something where you would be using a compensator and your actually wanting to use a larger charge of slow burning powder and you are needing more room in the case for getting the best benefit from the comp? sorry im just curious, cause with most people shooting production 9mm they were saying to load as long as possible for the best 'feeding reliability' like 1.15 long or something close to that.

Edited by Field

I am interested in the Tripp system mags, so these are 10mm mags with a different follower? The reason I ask is I would like to have mags that work for 10mm or .40 since I am thinking about getting a new barrel and bushing for my 10mm so I can shoot .40. I will probably use the S&A magwell as well. I was thinking about getting .40 Wilson mags but if I can get 10mm that will reliably run .40, especially if I need longer .40s I would rather do that.

I am interested in the Tripp system mags, so these are 10mm mags with a different follower? The reason I ask is I would like to have mags that work for 10mm or .40 since I am thinking about getting a new barrel and bushing for my 10mm so I can shoot .40. I will probably use the S&A magwell as well. I was thinking about getting .40 Wilson mags but if I can get 10mm that will reliably run .40, especially if I need longer .40s I would rather do that.

Just contact Virgil Tripp. He answers the phone, answers your questions and takes orders too.