Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A question for all you guys that hunt

I am trying to buy three acres of a rock quarry that is owned by a gentleman I met here locally a few months ago. He leases the land to hunters and is concerned about my shooting and how it will affect the hunters.

For those of you that shoot and hunt, what are your thoughts? If I set up a private pistol range, will I have a detrimental affect on the hunting in the immediate area?

Thanks.

if you buy the land I dont see how it matters look at the laws and follow the laws, no matter where you shoot someone will complain, That being said if you shoot fairly regularly most animals start ignoring it. 3 acres is really not large enough for a private range. Lots of places have laws about shooting within a certain distance of a road or a building you dont own. Someone plopping an out house on the property line could make your spot illegal. You seem to have several posts worrying about neighbors. Trust me they will complain no matter what, If they dont the next person that moves in will. Look into the local laws follow the local laws and buy the land, It is none of the sellers business what you do with it.

The guys that are leasing it for hunting probably won't like it at all. For deer it probably won't matter too much, ducks/geese are a different story but they mainly hunt in the a.m. If you look at the seasons you can probably work around the hunting season and not make the neighbors too mad. I have watched deer that look like they never heard a thing after a shot, others tipped right over dead!

My property is about 17 acres total. Many a day I practice 1-200 rounds, put my stuff up and hunt the evening within 200 yards of where I practice. I've even walked to the back field after practice and deer were already there. The hunters won't like it but in reality it will push the deer towards them and away from you to some degree.

I used to shoot at a friends farm and had a three-sided bay made in a wooded area on the farm. I was shooting one afternoon and while reloading mags I heard something walk up and stop behind the berm I was shooting into. I crept up and looked over the berm and saw that a Doe was bedded down right behind the berm 20 yards away. At another private range, I was shooting one evening and had two turkeys fly up and roost almost above the bay. Wildlife really gets used to the noise and routine and it eventually adapts.

My club, Rio Grande Practical Shooting Club uses the City of Albuquerque public range for our twice monthly matches. If we get on the range early enough to set up we find antelope roaming the bays. :cheers:

CYa,

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

It is none of the sellers business what you do with it.

I disagree Joe. It is his business when what I'm doing may affect his pocket book. Don't assume he has to sell or needs to sell anything.

You brought up some valid points with regard to the law. That is why I had an attorney research the law. That base has been covered. Thanks.

You seem to have several posts worrying about neighbors.

Yes. I have always tried to be respectful of others. If there is a potential neighbor that voices a concern to me, don't you think it would be better to address that concern before I spend money on land?

The Deer won't care. I have been watching them in the deep woods and have a shot go off and they might look up. I have shot deer in a field and had the animal standing right next to them not get scared. Reach over and sniff them... They pay very little attention to gunfire. I wonder if their hearing clips it like a pair of electronic muffs...

It's kind of like all those deer, bear and turkey you see along the roads through the smokies that get photographed 5 million times each year. Once they learn it's not going to hurt them, animals get used to anything after a while.

I've actually shot one hog and had another jump, then trot off a little and start rooting again. Gave me time to reload my in-line .50 cal. and kill him too. Then I was like... :unsure: crap! I have to drag both of these to the truck.

No.

We get deer walking across the range where I shoot rifle. They'll even stand on the berm while you're shooting.

+1 i see deer at our local range all the time. People will be shooting at the 50 and 100 yd ranges and deer will be grazing on the 200

I have a shooting range in my back yard that has deer tracks all the time. :) I have 200-300 round practice sessions at least once a week, more when I can. We have fawns in the spring B) and our young trees get rubbed to death every fall. :angry:

Shooting doesn't keep the deer away.

I don't hunt but some of the neighbors hunt our property.

if there is one thing Ive learned from hunting, deer dont care where you've been....they care where you ARE. Just set your range area up on one corner and hunt the rest and i seriuously doubt you'll scare them off. Ive shot deer and had others stand around wondering what happened or even come to investigate.

oops, too fast on the button...

Cool, is that a piebald?

The deer won't care. I live less than 1/4 mile from my local range, and I shoot in my yard quite a bit. I have posted pics on here before of upwards of 17 deer eating my lawn in front of my house. Hell, I've mowed the lawn and had them less than 50 yards away, and not run. But shut the mower down and step off, then all you see is flags.