Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

choosing a division

I know that eventually I want to shoot with an open gun. I've shot one before and they appeal to me in a big way, but I know that just starting out I'm not ready for that just yet. So, the question is -which division is good to start out in. Keep in mind that I'm that type A, ocd having kind of person thats never satisfied with his performance and always believes that something more could have been done. I like the limited division, but im unfamiliar with what weapons would be best to go with. I have also though very hard on Production and have my heart settled on an M&P Pro 9. so, what do you guys think? I havent bought a weapon yet and would like to hear some opinions from you who are willing before i spend the money. Thanks in advance.

Nox

IF you are sure you are going to go open and stick there, then I'd say Production. It is generally less expensive in terms of gun and gear and will be easier to sell off if you need/want to to move to open.

OTOH, if you went limited with the same brand of pistol you will shoot in open, the mag carriers, mag bodies etc. would all transfer over. A good limited S_I culd be converted to open as well saving you some coin.

First welcome. Nothing wrong with an M&P Pro. I happen to like Open guns as well. Shoot production for a while get your feet wet learn the game and see where it takes you. I'm thinking about doing a run in production after the Open Nationals, but with a CZ. I like iron and a hammer. I just took a break from open and shot the TX State Limited, had a great match and a good road trip. So its not like once you start you can't change, you can.

I don't think it can't hurt to start with Production. It's a great place to learn the basics, the startup cost is relatively modest, a decent production setup can be used in a lot of sports where an open gun could not, and you can resell production gear to a much wider group than open.

Plus, when you're not using it, that production gun will be a lot more handy in a bedside table than an open gun. ;)

Shooting production will help you develop your stage strategy skills, and will force you to hit As. It's a great place to get started and build fundamentals. The M&P 9 will also let you shoot your first few matches in limited minor. You won't be very competitive against the bona fide limited shooters, but that will let you focus on the shooting and being safe without so many reloads.

I agree with MarkCO production is a great place to start, its inexpensive to get into and easy to sell out of. However if your pretty sure your going to go open you may want to start with a good used S-I type limited gun, because everything (holster mags and magpouches) will be usable. Plus you will be able to move from open to limited and back very easily.

Good luck with your decision.

I started in Limited for my 1st 3 matches (shooting my 34 - Limited minor). Less reloads, let me concentrate on shooting, safety, etc... After several matches, I switched to production. I was comfortable with the concept of the matches by then, and I was able to plan the stages / reloads / strategy. It was a good intro, and I think it helped me overall in my transition to this sport...

I would start in production, shoot different matches,learn how to shoot a stage. While at diffrent matches look around and talk to open shooters.

There are so many different open gun configurations that it would be nice to know what you like or want so you buy 1 instead of 2 or 3 diffrent guns

There are so many different open gun configurations that it would be nice to know what you like or want so you buy 1 instead of 2 or 3 diffrent guns

+1!

If I'd just shot the gun I already owned for the first year I shot, I could have saved a lot of money and the frustration that came from buying guns that were ALMOST what I wanted.

very good input. all of you saying the same thing makes the decision easy. one more question though.....whats an S-I gun?

A short way of writing STI or SVI, which are different manufacturers of 2011 style pistols (double stack 1911's).

I figured this is as good a place as any too post this.

I've agonized for too long over which gun/division to shoot. Took a year plus break from shooting due to an injury (tried switching to left handed but that didn't work at all) and am now getting back to it. However, I couldn't decide whether to go back to Production with my CZ75 or Glock, shoot SS with my 1911, or revolver with my wonderful 625. Problem, if you want to call it that, is I love shooting all of them! Unfortunately, as the experienced shooters know, switching from one to another will keep you a C shooter forever. I'd like to do better than C.

Soooo, I took the advice of Flexmoney and others and just picked one. I literally put 4 pieces of paper in a cup; shook the cup for a minute to make sure they were mixed; then closed my eyes and picked one. And...drum roll......the one I picked was the Glock.

Now it's off to practice........

Well, my advice comes from jumping around for a while and finally settling into 2 main divisions. If you know you will go to open, then go ahead and jump in and start there. You can bypasss(for now) some of the things that I have seen run new shooters off. I see many new people go to production and get fed up with all the reloading, the minor scoring and having to plan out a stage around 10 round limits. A Texas star to a newer person can be bad. This gets in their mind and they quit having fun and leave the sport. Now, with open once you have working equipment you can focus on watching the targets, trigger pull and movement. Someone local will probably have a backup open gun they would probably loan you for a couple of matches and might even have one for sale if you ask. Just don't take it to a match until you know it runs 110% or else you will hate open and your decision to go that way. Since you seem new to STI's try to get a local shooter that has working equipment to take you under their wing. They will be glad to.

• 4 weeks later...

If open appeals to you but the cost of an S_I doesn't, check out an XD or Glock that's been converted to open. You could get a great used one for about half the cost of an S_I and it will be a lot of fun. You have the choice of 9mm major, 357sig, or .40 and each has their pluses and minuses. If you can find someone at your club with one ask them if you can shoot theirs.

Good luck.

I want to shoot an open gun. they appeal to me in a big way, but I know that just starting out I'm not ready for that just yet.

Nox

Why are you "not ready" for OPEN yet?

Money? If money is not the obstacle,

I'd start out in OPEN. If money is

the problem (isn't it always?) - then

Production is an excellent place to

start.

But, if you're NOT READY for OPEN, and

you have the money - I'd jump in anyway.

...switching from one to another will keep you a C shooter forever. I'd like to do better than C.
Not necessarily. ;)

I agree with the previous post. If you have no desire to shoot iron sights, then the only disadvantage to starting in open are the financial hurdles getting started, and the "upgrade path" switching from one open blaster to another if you get the bug to change.

...switching from one to another will keep you a C shooter forever. I'd like to do better than C.
Not necessarily. ;)

+1 People make switching into a far bigger deal than it is.

I'd actually recommend someone shoot Limited if they want to shoot Open, but don't have the funds just yet, or haven't settled on an Open gun style/smith/etc. Frequently, Open/Lim shooters approach a stage very differently than Prod/L10/SS shooters (for obvious reasons). Most of the time Open and Lim shooters do things pretty similarly other than some where the Open guns don't have to reload at all, or there's a really hard shot that's easier to pull off with an Open gun. With experience, switching from the high capacity to low capacity mindset isn't a problem, but in the beginning, it poses more of a challenge. R,

If money is not the issue go open if that is really where you want to be. You will see a lot about how recoill works thru the c-more.

Why drop a grand on a division you really don't want to shoot??

There are a few nice open guns for sale now. You will just have to pick a caliber and go for it.

Mildot

I started in Limited and wish I would have started in Production.

Pro's to starting in Production (to me):

1) This division forces you to shoot accurately. I don't LIKE to have to take the time to shoot accurately, I just want to go fast. Builds very bad habits that I'm having issues overcoming now (B-class). I am very low C class in Production as I'm sloppy and shoot lots of C's (survivable in Limited, not so good in Production).

2) Production forces you to perform reloads/mag-changes often. You will never be sorry you learned to do them efficiently. I've seen some really good Limited and Open shooters who never ended up learning to do mag-changes fast as they don't have to as often. Also, as there are no magwells permitted in Production, you must learn to hit your reloads by watching them all the way into the opening, not blind like you can get away with if you had a magwell. If you can reload quickly in Production, you will be amazed at how fast you can do it with another division.

3) Equipment cost. Minimum investment compared to other divisions.

4) If you learn to shoot Production well, you will be very happy with the improved triggers, longer sight radius (or dot presence), reloading ease and accuracy to which the Limited and Open guns are capable.

I started in l-10, because it best fit what I had on hand. I then switched to production. between the minor scoring and the mag changes, I think it is one of the best divisions for developing all the foundation skills except perhaps really solid recoil control. A move to open wouldn't penalize you much for that either. So I'll join the choir in suggesting production. 

I 'started' (I use that term loosely) shooting production w/ my G21SF that I use for work. Only a few times here and there at weekly steel matches. I saw the open shooters, shot an open gun, and I was hooked. Went out and bought a full blown (used) open set up, and fell in lust. Shoot what you have, or work to get what you really want, and go punch some holes. I'm having more fun than I have in a long time. :cheers: