Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why so few rifle matches?

There are tons of handgun matches all around the country and an increasing number of 3-gun matches. However, the number of rifle-only matches is surprisingly low.

I would think that a quality rifle match would attract quite a few people and I personally would travel as far as I would for a 3-gun match for a good match.

Also, a rifle match could attract people that aren't necessarily into 3-gun, since the shotgun part seems to be the biggest "turn-off" for some people.

I would love to see some quality rifle matches, USPSA or outlaw, I dont really care... I just want to shoot..

Surely I can't be the only one?

a rifle match could attract people that aren't necessarily into 3-gun, since the shotgun part seems to be the biggest "turn-off" for some people.

Surely I can't be the only one?

You can include me in that camp. I'd love some rifle only or rifle + pistol.

I've done very little 3-gun just because I can't muster enough enthusiasm to invest the money or time into shotgunning. I've got a cheap pump I'll drag to matches when the urge strikes, usually loading out of my back pocket...

-rvb

Funny you mention that. We are making final preparations before we announce the dates and stages for the 2011 High Plains Rifle Challenge at the OKC Gun Club. 12 stages of all rifle, using the OKC scoring matrix, broken into these divisions;

Tactical non-magnified

Tactical magnified

Rimfire non-magnified

Rimfire magnified

More to follow.

Mike

+1. There are some really good rifle only matches (Az Independence Day Rifle and Bay Area Rifle Challenge to name 2) but they are quite rare. Why let the Europeans have all the fun? I wish USPSA would run a rifle nationals and I also wish for victory in Afghanistan, for SB1070 to win in court, and that NASA would focus on space. We will see which wish will come true, if any.

Glad to hear about the High PLains Rifle Challenge!

The AZ ACTS (Rifle+Pistol, with focus on rifle) matches attract people that don't shoot 3 Gun...one of the main reasons a lot of people like shooting it is there is no shotgun. They are every month at Pima Pistol Club on the 3rd Saturday.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

Me too, although I love shotgun shooting, but I like not having to bring so much stuff to one match...

This is why I just shoot pistol. Rifle only though would be cool at least once or twice a year, especially a really good match.

+1. There are some really good rifle only matches (Az Independence Day Rifle and Bay Area Rifle Challenge to name 2) but they are quite rare. Why let the Europeans have all the fun? I wish USPSA would run a rifle nationals and I also wish for victory in Afghanistan, for SB1070 to win in court, and that NASA would focus on space. We will see which wish will come true, if any.

Glad to hear about the High PLains Rifle Challenge!

Kelly, I don't know you but I think we would get along very well. A little off to the side but a fun post

Jay

One reason there are less of them is the fact it takes more big bays to make a good rifle match. You can hold one in a mainly pistol range but it is lots more fun if you can spread out some & really utilize the rifle for what it can do.

Another reason is ammo cost. If you keep the round count down low, it is not as fun, if you bump it up, you get lots of people not coming due to cost. At least that is what I've found in my 3 gun matches. I have to keep the rifle count down or I hear plenty of concerns from folks that just won't spend the money.

Just a couple of reasons I haven't had one at our range.

MLM

One reason there are less of them is the fact it takes more big bays to make a good rifle match. You can hold one in a mainly pistol range but it is lots more fun if you can spread out some & really utilize the rifle for what it can do.

Another reason is ammo cost. If you keep the round count down low, it is not as fun, if you bump it up, you get lots of people not coming due to cost. At least that is what I've found in my 3 gun matches. I have to keep the rifle count down or I hear plenty of concerns from folks that just won't spend the money.

Just a couple of reasons I haven't had one at our range.

MLM

Mark, I think you should have MORE rifle rounds.

Mark, I think you should have MORE rifle rounds.

Jason,

I agree but I heard from several folks that the round counts I had planned a few matches back were just too costly & they couldn't afford to shoot that much. I understand, times are kind of tough & all so that is why we have been holding them down as much as possible. Of course, those folks haven't showed up for the 3 gun matches anyway so I guess it is a moot point.

I would like to see a big rifle match in and around the State of Texas.....

The big carbine match in Corpus Christi early this year was a GREAT match. http://www.texascarbine.com/index.html They have the range for it & the guys to do the work so it should be on everyone's radar. I intend to make it back next year if at all possible. It's a long drive from here but it was worth it!

MLM

Just to reiterate, we WILL have a major rifle match in OKC next year for sure. 2 days with tons of prizes.

Details will be posted soon. Just finalizing plans and dates. Kurt Miller, Trapr and myself will host this match to be ~250 rounds.

M

Edited by mike_pinto

There are only two places in this area (Mid Atlantic) that do rifle matches that I am aware of. One is Langhorn PA that does a non-USPSA match monthly and the other is Topton PA that does USPSA 3 gun once in a while.

I rather expect that facilities may have something to do with it, but I also wonder if liability is another factor. Having guys running around shooting at things with pistols is one things but a stray rifle round over the berm may be more than the ownership (and their insurance) is willing to risk.

The OKC match will surely be on my list to make next year.

We have some pretty good rifle matches in CO, just none of them run under USPSA rules. There is also a monthly match at the Whittington Center that is long range...60 rounds and 4 miles.

Funny you mention that. We are making final preparations before we announce the dates and stages for the 2011 High Plains Rifle Challenge at the OKC Gun Club. 12 stages of all rifle, using the OKC scoring matrix, broken into these divisions;

Tactical non-magnified

Tactical magnified

Rimfire non-magnified

Rimfire magnified

More to follow.

Mike

why no open?

+1K on more rifle only matches, I love them, but they are pricey.

My local club does a couple rifle only matches every year, and the matched consistently get the biggest draw from other clubs and people who don't normally shoot 3-gun. This year match had mainly short fast course's that required precision shot at close ranges. Not something many people at our club were good at, it was a great learning experience for myself and a lot of other shooters. Our round count was around 175 for 6 stages, but worth every penny.

New York State Rifle Championship, an almost annual event.

West Point (USMA) MAY be running a two-gun match next fall or spring.

One reason there are so few rifle only and for that matter 2 or 3 gun matches in a given area likely has to do with the workload already incumbent upon the few that design, administer and build the matches. People get tired. Want a match, get a few of your buddies together and approach the board at your club, you might be surprised what you can accomplish.

You may have to sacrifice a straight USPSA or IDPA match to run your match and that can also be a big turn off. A lot of our customers are from USPSA and pistol is what they choose to shoot. Take away their monthly match and you can wind up with some upset customers.

For the record, we are currently looking at what we are going to do this year for our SG only and 3-Gun Matches. Maybe it is time for a carbine only here?

Jim

We normally shoot what the MD calls a Tac rifle match. Usually 150 to 200 rounds, 5 or 6 stages. But what makes it different is there are required mag changes, usually a lot of movement, and must retain mags, and shoot out of different positions, and its time plus, takes to A hits to neutralize. It is not a USPSA or an IDPA match, its a club match, and usually will turn out 30 or so shooters, the big match at the end of the year is usually cut off at 80 shooters or so. Entrance fee to the match is usually cheap.

Usually shoot 3 different divisions, irons, optics and competitor, competitor is basically anything goes "open". No mag funnels allowed unless shooting competitor, irons and optics are pretty much plain jane rifles.

I shot the Steel City Tactical Carbine Match this year. It was my first rifle match. I would like to shoot at least one major rifle match a year. I will be looking hard at the OKC match mentioned earlier. I would love to see a rifle only match at PASA Park in Quincy, Il. Seems like it would be a great facility for a rifle match, and it is less than 2 hours from me.

Tactical non-magnified

Tactical magnified

Rimfire non-magnified

Rimfire magnified

More to follow.

Mike

I am going to predict that this match will be the best rifle match in the country. I can hardly wait!