Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" for Limited -

Seth

Through a little dumb luck, I'm a whole lot closer to having a 6" limited gun built than I thought I was. I've stared at a stack of pictures and specs from Benny, Millennium, Cheely, Freedom, Bedell, Tripp and a few others and have found a VAST array of looks and cuts.

Are the guys shooting the ultralight 6"s still happy? Is this a worthwhile investment or a passing trend?

How are you guys springing them? Where's the weight balance? Thoughts on do's and don'ts?

Thx.

S.

I just got my 6" in 38 Super from Benny , it looks like a Fat Free but with a tiny little 38 hole for the bullet to leave.

the gun shoots great and is accurate. on 8" plates over 50 yards. I shoot mostly Open handgun and this gun has about the same ballanc as my Open gun and it shoots about the same speed.

8bl spring.

I wanted a bull barrel and Benny advised a bushing barrel , = so I went with the Pros advice and I am happy

I like the ballance better than my 5" 40 and it feels good when shooting with Recovery time and transition time.

Edited by AlamoShooter

I just bought a Glock 24 just to see if the longer barrel matters that much. It does shoot softer at a lower charge but I'm still not sure that it's an advantage.

After shooting one match with the Glock, I'm really still on the fence. In other words, I still don't have a good answer for you. Part of me wants to sell it and part of me wants to give the long slide a shot.

I normally shoot a 5" STI.

Edited by twodownzero

Thanks for the input. I shot Todd Jarretts a couple of weeks ago and was shocked at how easy it was to call your shot. That sent me in to a wicked tail spin of MUST HAVE...

So now I ponder the value and how to build it right.

S.

You will love it when you get it done. Mine is the best shooting I've ever had. Long sight radius and uses less powder to make major. The front sight tracks better for me (straight up and back) than the 5in guns I've shot.

Happy building

The sight radius would be similar to a glock 34/35, a G24 would actually have over a half inch more sight radius than a 6” 2011. I love the sight radius on my G35 compared to my Single Stack and if I were to go with a 2011 I think I would look at a 6” first.

I switched from a 5-in sight tracker to a lightened 6-in gun two and a half years ago and it was a good decision for me. I like making major with as little powder as possible (with fast moly bullets) and the sight radius helps for long shots. Mine balances right on my support hand. Lightening cuts are necessary for that balance, but the style is up to you. I like the Brazos style holes. Mine also have the spring tunnel cut out and a slot on top.

The sight radius would be similar to a glock 34/35, a G24 would actually have over a half inch more sight radius than a 6” 2011. I love the sight radius on my G35 compared to my Single Stack and if I were to go with a 2011 I think I would look at a 6” first.

Interesting. I don't know if I've ever compared them before. My 6-in STI and G35 with Dawson sights are within 1/4 inch of each other.

Limcat's New Sabercat 6" KKM bull barrel 40SW Limited w/STI aluminum frame. I've shot a standard frame 5" SVI Infinity limited w/tungsten sleeved barrel for 4 years then Limcat's Wildcat 5" extended frame w/full profile slide, w/tungsten sleeved barrel for about 3 years. This new 6" setup from Limcat by far shoots the flattest, as accurate, transitions the same and weights relatively the same as the SVI 41.5oz and Wildcat 41.3oz - Sabercat 41.9oz all unloaded. It's been about 6 months of shooting and I haven't yet taking advantage of how fast and flat it shoots but time will tell.

post-3673-12788178488_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davidp1911

I shoot a Benny 6in Fat Free( big suprise right). I've had that gun 4 or 5 yrs and a lot of other people have shot matches with it also, that gun has never, ever failed. Keep up with the maintance on the mags and do the ammo right and Benny guns are fail free. I see all the guns that come out of the shop, do the grip work on the ones that are stippled and under cut and test fire a lot of them, I've never had one in my hand that didnt just feel right. Spend your money where it counts, then you can work on your shooting cause the gun will be there.--------Larry

I was just told saturday to quite looking for the magic "arrow" since I've just installed the 3rd barrel in my 6" gun since building it. I've tested springs, firing pin stop plate radii, different barrel weights (bull/light bull/bushing), plastic vs. aluminum grips, smaller STI magwell vs ICE magwell etc. I won't know the results until I try it so I test different set ups.

It all boils down to: I love shooting a light 6 inch gun.

I was just told saturday to quite looking for the magic "arrow" since I've just installed the 3rd barrel in my 6" gun since building it. I've tested springs, firing pin stop plate radii, different barrel weights (bull/light bull/bushing), plastic vs. aluminum grips, smaller STI magwell vs ICE magwell etc. I won't know the results until I try it so I test different set ups.

That can be half the fun of it. Trying to find that "perfect gun" for you.

DSC_0475.jpg

I just need to get my ass to shoot better so I can run this thing to its full potential.

Using less than 4g of N320 to make major (200g bullets) is a real nice benefit too.

Go 6in you will be pleased. I know where you can get an awesome one built any way you want it for less than most of the big names out there.

What's so much fun about constantly changing stuff? Find a gun that works, doesn't jam, and practice practice practice.

What's so much fun about constantly changing stuff? Find a gun that works, doesn't jam, and practice practice practice.

And I see you shoot a stock 2011 with whatever spring rate STI put in it. :sight: I test to continue my edjucation, not just for my own shooting benefit. As a gunsmith I get questions all the time about what a different set up or part will or won't do. If I haven't done it, tried it or seen it personally my opinion wouldn't be based on anything substantial.

I went from a Glock 35 to a Brazos 5" then Brazos 6", I would never go back.

Come on man, you've had two of his guns...LMAO :roflol:

I so want a 6" Limited rig, but I'm just not shooting enough Limited to justify it right now. :(

i much prefer my 6" gun for limited. It is now heavier with the SV stainless grip, but the weight is in the hand and not out front. the 6ers out there that i've seen do not cycle as fast as a lightened 5", but that really doesn't matter, the recoil is much more subdued. Bedell built up my gun, the only thing i've added is the sv grip and an sv Ti trigger.

Haven't you ever heard of "Tinkeritis"?

I've had it since I was 4.

I may have something that works, but......... if I just do this it might work better. :roflol:

What spring weight are you guys running in your 6" Limited? I've been using ISMI 12.5lb. while shooting 180 gr. Bear Creeks.

Limited:

I'm changing all my springs in my Dawson-tuned STI 6" .40 Eagle.

I want reliability, but right on the edge.

Help?

L-10 & SS:

...& while your at it, how about a 5", .45 w/ a Les Baer lower, Gary Moody custom slide? Tight.

I'm changing all those springs out too - slide & main in particular. Recommendations on the leaf-spring?

I like 185 JHP w/ about 4.0 Clays (just about what I shoot in my .40 - 180 JHP w/ Clays).

I'm re-doing my whole "thing" so any & all help would be so very much appreciated.

Thanks to all.

-jb

ps I shoot L-10 w/ a 6" Dawson-tuned STI .45 TargetMaster that may be the best (.45) gun I've ever owned - by far.

pss if you ever buy a Dawson piece - spend the extra $200 & have Dave tune it...it'll be the best 200 you've ever spent!

Edited by stinsonbeach