Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good IDPA/Carry gun

Now that I have an SV open gun, I don't want any "lesser" guns. Should I go w. a 2011 for carry? (Work's in a pretty rough place. Decent chance of needing a gun - if its not welded down, its stolen, cops having problems w. "outlaw" bikers in the front of the plant, etc.)

I've been trying to learn to like my Glocks since December - but they don't like me. I'm tired of having a cut on my strong hand. I have a GGI tuned P226, which is a good gun, but I'm not that crazy about it.

The budget, if reasonable, isn't much of a problem. I'm going to be selling off a couple sigs and a few Glocks, maybe some more guns - so I can pretty much get anything short of a Korth.

I'd like something tough enough to take being crawled around with/possibly sprayed w. a variety of chemicals. I will probably be keeping my XD for really bad days, however.

Caliber preference ? What IDPA division or does it matter? Ive been nothing happy with my M&P Pro. Would not hesitate to get a Regular/full size or compact M&P. I also highly regard the CZ pistols 75B/SP-01/P-01. They fit me much better than the Sigs.

Now that I have an SV open gun, I don't want any "lesser" guns. ...

Seems like the two obvious choices are a 1911 that maintains the same controls and ergonomics of your 2011, or an M&P if you prefer tupperware. The M&P points just like a 1911 and it's not too hard to shift back and forth between the two.

you will always have a tradeoff between firepower and ease of carry and concealment, different seasons with different clothes, you will probably need a couple, Since I am shopping with ur money,,,,,, Id go with a Ruger .380, a STI VIP, and a Remington 1100 Tac 4 in the car. A M203 would be cool for back up,,,, Say ello to my little friend,

Edited by Joe4d

A local GS has an STI 4.15 Tactical in 9mm that I have been dreaming about. Might make a good combo gun. One of my regular carry guns is a lightly modified Colt LW Officers ACP that I also compete with in IDPA.

FWIW

Richard

PS: Good luck...the choices are almost endless!

J&G sales is selling good Argentine HiPower copies ( Argentine FM90)for $309 to $359, G22s for $349 to $389, and there were a few other deals they had going on with the mailer I found on the desk this afternoon. These are good, reliable, and inexpensive pistols that you can find decent carry holsters for.

Too bad you can't keep your dog with you at work too. I take my girl with me sometimes when I'm welding in our shop alone, along with my trusty go to gun. Mine is harder to conceal,(Big ol revo) but I'm not trying to hide it from the building manager or the security guy who lives there at night. They all carry small five-shot revos in their pockets while in the building after hours.

Hello guys, I'm new to this site and have not shot a match but I do know a little about carrying a firearm everyday. i live on the Gulf Coast and have carried a firearm everyday for the last 28 years. The best gun to carry is the one you will carry, in teh same place, every day, no what the weather or the circimstances. The biggest gun in the world will not do you any good if it is in the car or at home because it was jsut too big to conceal.

I carry a Dan Wesson CBOB 45 daily. Regardless of your choice, I highly recommend you carry in a comp-tac M-tac holster. Extremely comfortable and conceals anything. If I had the money I would be carrying an STI VIP. I used to carry an M&P 40C but once I got the CBOB, I never touched the M&P again.

Ryan

P.S.: I carry everyday in central Florida even on 100+ heat index days. The M-tac makes it possible and comfortable. I'd worry less about the gun choice and focus on a good belt and rig and plenty of practice.

Glock or S@W M@P in 9mm or larger caliber, mid size frame. Not as much cash out lay as a good 1911 and not as bad a loss if it comes up missing. They work every time with good ammo, may not be the ideal game gun but lots of people practice by shooting IDPA with true carry guns.

Might check one of the Indoor Ranges with a rental selection before purchase to see what fit's your hands and how well you can control it. Lot's of good choices just have to find the fit for you.

I would take a a look at the CZ 75 tactical sports in 9mm. This gun is awesome and can be carried just fine in a good IWB holster and sturdy belt!

I'm usually the last to decry the weight of a carry gun, but the TS is just overdoing it. They are big, heavy guns. They are extremely well suited to USPSA Limited and IPSC Standard; not so much as a CCW piece. Do any of the major holstermakers even offer anything IWB for a TS?

My EDC is a CZ 75 Compact, which also gets shot in IDPA ESP (as I only carry it C&L). I wanted the compact for two reasons: shorter grip for concealability and shorter barrel for maximum comfort while seated (with a IWB setup).

There's a lot of variety to choose from in CZs. Any specific wants/needs? SAO? DA/SA decocker? Weight?

Edit:

See the attached comparison of a compact small-frame, full-size small-frame, and full-size large-frame in the CZ lineup. (CZ 75 Compact, SP-01 Shadow, and Tactical Sports, respectively. My personal set of "front-line" CZs.)

The TS sports a length difference with the Shadow that is almost the same as the Shadow compared to the Compact. The TS features a longer front-to-back dimension in the grip. And because the TS is a large frame, it also features a wider grip (not illustrated here, of course).

post-20030-127847216655_thumb.jpg

Edited by Walküre

If you are willing to carry a large metal gun and are big enough to conceal it Id recommend a Beretta 92FS.

You can get deals on these guns and they can be very easily polished and sprung to be very shootable. I dont think you can get a more reliable pistol unless you want to hang with your glock. My XD broke a pin in the top of the slide rendering it inoperable so Im not an XD fan for carry purposes (it busted after 3,000 rds).

For IDPA the Beretta is easily accurate enough to compete with and with practice can be very fast from the holster, but you do have to dry fire it to get used to it.

you will always have a tradeoff between firepower and ease of carry and concealment, different seasons with different clothes, you will probably need a couple, Since I am shopping with ur money,,,,,, Id go with a Ruger .380, a STI VIP, and a Remington 1100 Tac 4 in the car. A M203 would be cool for back up,,,, Say ello to my little friend,

LOL. I agree with most of this, including the M203.

Another vote for a Berreta; a G model in particular.

I carried an STI Eagle in 9mm as an offduty gun for a long time; very similar to my limited gun, and served as a backup for matches.

FY42385

• 2 years later...

In case anyone cares, as an update I now carry a G20 to work. I was carrying a G36 or a P7 PSP, until someone tried to rip the roll-up door off the work shop in the back, during the work day. (We now have carbiners attaching chains running from concrete anchors to the door. Seems to work quite well.)

I had a 5" 2011 built, which never ran properly, and went back to the builder. Stainless steel doesn't do well at work - carbon is fine - and Glocks just ended up being easier to keep up with.

I didn't quite trust the anodizing on the Sig to hold up, and it takes a surprisingly small amount of lint under the hammer to render one in-operable.

I just got a VIP, which I think I will like quite a bit - but its mainly going to be for non-work days (I'm not on the plant floor that much, anyway, now...)

... an M&P if you prefer tupperware.

now thats funny

isn't someone making a 1911 compact....: is it RIA.......cant remember

maybe im thinking of STI's 1911 lawman with 3.24 in barrel. honestly being canadian i just skim the carry articles and look at the pictures :)

Edited by chipdouglas

I like to carry an XDM and compete with the same gun in IDPA or the XDM 5.25 in USPSA production. I also like the CZ-75 variants and have an SP-01 just found myself turning to the XDM more for carry purposes.

(Work's in a pretty rough place. Decent chance of needing a gun - if its not welded down, its stolen, cops having problems w. "outlaw" bikers in the front of the plant, etc.)

MP5 or a Saiga shotgun? Start wearing a trenchcoat!

Edited by Red Ryder