Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What recoil spring for production with factory ammo?

Wik

I've been reading post after post of people raving about switching to a 13lb ISMI or a 14lb Wolff recoil spring. I'd like to see what all the fuss is about. I shoot production with a Glock 34 and generally American Eagle 124 grain ammo. What recoil spring or spring/guide rod would you guys recommend going with? Also I don't want to make disassembly/cleaning/reassembly more difficult so uncaptured are out.

Thanks!

Wik

I've been reading post after post of people raving about switching to a 13lb ISMI or a 14lb Wolff recoil spring. I'd like to see what all the fuss is about. I shoot production with a Glock 34 and generally American Eagle 124 grain ammo. What recoil spring or spring/guide rod would you guys recommend going with? Also I don't want to make disassembly/cleaning/reassembly more difficult so uncaptured are out.

Thanks!

Wik

Jager stainless guide rod and 15# ISMI spring works for me.

Is it a worthwhile addition, or is it a solution to a question that was never asked? I obviously don't want to be hindered by my equipment, but am looking for worthwhile additions to my 34 other than sights, dry fire time, and ammo.

It's really a feel thing. The only way you will tell what works best for you is to buy a couple of springs and try them out. They are cheap and it never hurts to have a few spares lying around. I don't recommend going lighter than 15 lbs on the recoil spring unless you are also going to run a light striker spring as this can sometimes cause the gun to not want to fully lock into battery. The two springs work against each other during trigger pull.

The difference between a captured and non-captured for assemby and disassembly is not even a discussion. They both are simple and a non-captured is far from making these processes more difficult. As for changing the recoil springs, the non-captured is 'pull one off and put one on'. The non-captured is just a PITA for this.

a stiffer spring creates more recoil in the operating cycle if the slide, just like tighter suspension creates a stiffer perceived ride in a car

I would run a 13lb ISMI and a Jager plastic rod in our Glock. I think you will notice an immediate difference watching your front sight under recoil

• 2 weeks later...

Buy one or 2 and see what feels best. Just learn how to do the safety check to ensure that your gun will not fire out of battery.

I had to switch back to a factory set up last week half way through a match (went from my 13# set up to a stock captured set up). I had a bad case that ruptured, and it left me 2nd guessing the problem (I was afraid it was out of battery, but it was really just a weak / bad case). After the switch, I was amazed at the different feel of my gun. The front was literally diving forward, and it was much harder to track my sights... I had not realized the difference it made! Needless to say, I switched back ASAP. It really felt like two different guns!

IMO the 15lb ISMI is a safe bet in 9mm if you're looking for a little better than the stocker, you'll get better sight tracking and less perceived recoil, but no worries of out-of-battery fireworks... Lasts a very long time too, maybe as long as the 17lb stocker, I have one that's seen over 7500rds and still works/feels great.

Stock recoil assemblies. Last FOREVER and have not hurt my game one bit.

+1 it is all I use.

Concur.

... have tried both steel and tungsten rods with aftermarket springs... saw no benefit to different spring weights and actually experienced decreased reliability with tungsten guiderod... Switched back to stock recoil spring assembly and now enjoy optimal reliability.

Hello: I like the 13lb ISMI recoil spring on either a stock guide rod or a ISMI steel guide rod. I also use a 4lb striker spring with a lightened striker. I use a Warren rear sight and a Dawson fiber front sight. The trigger I do myself and is about 2 lb pull. Need a grip plug now :roflol: Thanks, Eric

IMO the 15lb ISMI is a safe bet in 9mm if you're looking for a little better than the stocker, you'll get better sight tracking and less perceived recoil, but no worries of out-of-battery fireworks... Lasts a very long time too, maybe as long as the 17lb stocker, I have one that's seen over 7500rds and still works/feels great.

+1. A number of my fellow Glock shooters have bumped up to the 15 ISMI after some issues with 13 (self included)

If you can notice a positive difference between stock and the new recoil spring then by all means put it in. The stock or ISMI spring will last a very long time. I use a wolff 12 lbs recoil spring because the timing works better for me and I can see a noticeable reduction in muzzle flip. But I have to change my spring out at least 3 times a year. My load hits 132 PF using 147g MG CMJ behind 3.7g of N320.