Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Watching her fade

Round_Gun_Shooter

I HATE to see the labored breathing from an enlarged heart, the glow leave her eyes, and the lack of joy she always showed when we came home. I truly hate to watch our 11yr old Pembroke Welsh Corgi slowly fade. It has accelerated this past week and it is not good. She is in no pain we can see but we have been told it is months at most and days at least that her heart will give out.

She is my daughter's dog and ultimately it is her decision but watching the pain in my daughters eyes is what I hate most. We have never allowed an animal to suffer and this will be no different but I hate the fact that my wife and I will need to eventually make the decision as my daughter is much too attached to be able to let go and I prefer to be the bad guy so she can cope.

My Avatar will go dark when she leaves us. She is a friend to us all.

CORGI004.jpg

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Our dog, Daisy is my daughters "sister", appears to have a brain tumor. We will find out tomorrow confirmation on the tumor and the likely options, but the end is soon approaching. It will cap off a terrible 12 months for my wife (losing your father and brother) and will be emotional for the rest of the family.

I'm truly sorry it's that time. Those of us who love dogs know your pain and that of your daughter. I always share this poem with people who lose friends with four legs.

Give them both a hug for us...

Jim

FOUR FEET

I have done mostly what men do,

And pushed it out of my mind;

But I can't forget, if I wanted to,

Four-Feet trotting behind.

Day after day, the whole day through--

Wherever my road inclined--

Four-Feet said, 'I am coming with you!'

And trotted along behind.

Now I must go by some other round--

Which I shall never find--

Some where that does not carry the sound

Of Four-Feet trotting behind.

--- Kipling ---

This one is nice as well...

TREAT ME KINDLY

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend,

For no heart in all the world is more

rateful for kindness than the loving

heart of me. Do not break my spirit with a stick,

For though I should lick your hand

between blows, your patience and

understanding will more quickly

teach me the things you would

have me learn.

Speak to me often, For your voice is

the world's sweetest music, as you must

know by the fierce wagging of my tail

when your footsteps fall upon my ears.

Please take me inside when it is cold

and wet, For I am a domesticated

animal, no longer accustomed to the

bitter elements. I ask no greater glory

than the privilege of sitting at your

feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with water, for I

cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well,

to romp and play and do your bidding,

to walk by your side, and stand ready,

willing and able to protect you with

my life, should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and

I no longer enjoy good health, hearing

and good sight, do not make heroic

efforts to keep me going.

I am not having fun. Please see that my

trusting life is taken gently. I shall

leave this earth knowing with the last

breath I drew, that my fate was always

safest in your hand.

--- Harris ---

Edited by JThompson

My big dog has had surgery on a cancer this year and has bad hips. He used to be able to clear a 6' fence with nothing but a touch at the top... now he's just an old dog. I fear the day that I'll lose him. I'm going to cry like a baby.

I feel your pain. Get the dog a prime rib and rub its belly!

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Gary, please make make choice as quick as possible,

I have also been there and done that. I feel for you

all.

Rick

I agree. Its hard to follow through with the final decision, but do whatever's best for the dog.

It's never an easy decision, but I've learned the hardway that it's better to let them go too early, than to keep them around too long.

My heart goes out to anyone having to make this decision.

Sorry to hear about your dog's health. Cherish what time you have remaining.

Everytime I read about someones dog getting sick/passing on, it makes me go home and spend a little more time with mine. I almost tear up about the thought of my buddy, Bandit, leaving me.

I know how you feel. My K-9 German Shepherd, Lancer, was my partner. I loved him so much and after he was gone

I cried for many days. He was my best friend in the world. He protected me ,found children,criminals and drugs

He was a member of my family. I will never forget him. Hopefully I will see him again some day.

Gary, please make make choice as quick as possible,

I have also been there and done that. I feel for you

all.

Rick

I agree. Its hard to follow through with the final decision, but do whatever's best for the dog.

Thanks//What I hate about his situation is I will know when it is time. I have been here before. I have outlived many but they are all still with me in one way or another. From the Irish setter I bought with my news paper money to the 1yr old male I have now. They all are the best but I truly hate doing the right thing when the time comes.

She will get every chance and she knows it. She started heart meds this week to make her more comfortable.

Thanks to all but I think it may be time to close this before we get too much into discussion.

When my Collie died years ago, I was sent the following. I share it with you all and I shared it by PM to one other.

I Stood By Your Bed Last Night

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep. I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear, "It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea, You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore. I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care. I want to reassure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key. I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said "it's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair. I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you everyday. To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew, in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning and say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide, I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see. Be patient, live your journey out ... then come home to be with me.

- Author unknown

Mods please close and thanks for the leniency on this one

CHIVEAUSUMMER.jpg