Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice on a new scale - take the poll

Accidently crushed my Dillon balance scale (dropped a case of bullets on it - balance arm is bent and useless). Guess it's time for a new scale. I've always had pretty good luck with the Dillon scale, but have contemplated going to an electronic scale. I'm pretty sure whatever I get will be a Dillon, but am interested in your opinions on non-Dillon products.

Please take a moment to answer the poll question and comment on which type of scale you prefer and why. I will probably order my new scale tomorrow - appreciate your feedback. :cheers:

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the D-Terminator, the ChargeMaster-1500, and the Frankford Arsenal portable and I use the Dillon the most. I have found all three of them to read the same so no real difference in accuracy. I originally got the ChargeMaster for weighing out charges for my AR-50.

Brian

Edited by Too_Slow

$29.00 Frankfort Aresnal Electronic 2 yrs works good, except when temp is below 40 in building then you need to let it warm up a bit. $21 Lee Safety for cross check and cold nights on the bench.

After about 2 years - My Dillon scale went out and, due to the age of the scale, Dillon did not replace it.

I was told the reason it went out was because I had batteries in it and the power transformer also plugged in at the same time. Not mentioned as harmful in the instructions........

They offered a (modest) discount and I replaced the scale with another Dillon which is about 10 years old now and still working perfectly AFAICT........

Accidently crushed my Dillon balance scale (dropped a case of bullets on it - balance arm is bent and useless). Guess it's time for a new scale. I've always had pretty good luck with the Dillon scale, but have contemplated going to an electronic scale. I'm pretty sure whatever I get will be a Dillon, but am interested in your opinions on non-Dillon products.

Please take a moment to answer the poll question and comment on which type of scale you prefer and why. I will probably order my new scale tomorrow - appreciate your feedback. :cheers:

Call Dillon. Tell them what happened. The beam scale has a lifetime no BS warranty as well. I will be curious what they say/do.

Call Dillon. Tell them what happened. The beam scale has a lifetime no BS warranty as well. I will be curious what they say/do.

Excellent advice - I called Dillon, explained what happened, and asked if I could buy a replacement beam for my scale. Their guy told me "No, we don't sell replacement parts for our scales. But if you send it back to us, we'll repair the scale, recalibrate it, and ship it back to you for free". He then gave me a return authorization number. You just can't ask for better customer service than that - just one more reason why I'm a Dillon customer for life.

I picked one of these up from BE at pretty generous discount, because it had been factory reconditioned. It works great.

Jack

How about the one Brian sells? BE Scale I am considering it. Hard to beat the 20 year warranty.

I have an RCBS Range Master 750 that I got in a trade for labor. I have nothing but good things to say, but it is the only scale I have ever used.

I have the same scale. Never any problems after 5 years. Calibrate it once in a while (I calibrate each time I load, if it even sits for a day, I re-calibrate, takes 3 minutes...). My .02...

I have an Ohaus beam scale that I bought in 1969 and it is still working fine. Also purchased one of the Frankford electronics from Midway and it lasted about 3 weeks past the warranty period. I also have the same electronic scale that BE sells, also available from Unique Tek, and it has been working very well for at least a year now.

IMO you always need more than one scale, especially if one of them uses batteries or plugs in. I'm guessing my old beam scale will last another 40+ years.

I have an Ohaus beam scale that I bought in 1969 and it is still working fine. Also purchased one of the Frankford electronics from Midway and it lasted about 3 weeks past the warranty period. I also have the same electronic scale that BE sells, also available from Unique Tek, and it has been working very well for at least a year now.

IMO you always need more than one scale, especially if one of them uses batteries or plugs in. I'm guessing my old beam scale will last another 40+ years.

Excellent point on needing more than one scale. Dillon is repairing my balance scale and I ddon't have a backup. Lots of good feedback on the Unique Tek - might give it a try.