Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wrong Weight Slide-glide

MoNsTeR

So instead of 50 degrees and sunny, it turned out to be 30 degrees, covered in a persistent cloud of fog. Naturally, my gun was full of Slide-Glide #1, and had worked perfectly in practice friday. But let me tell ya, on the SG page where it says

S-G #1 is medium or standard weight, and is engineered for all stock-type pistols in temperatures above 45 degrees.
IT IS NOT KIDDING. In the freezing cold, SG#1 turned my gun into a Stovepipe Factory. After blowing one stage I stripped it, wiped it, and oiled it with some Breakfree a buddy gave me. I'll think I'll use Lite from now on just in case...

I just keep hearing jamming stories....even in Limiteds. The one thing they all seem to have in common though is that it was shortly after a cleaning. Perhaps the SG needs to get worked into the areas it wants to be in.

I just keep hearing jamming stories....even in Limiteds.  The one thing they all seem to have in common though is that it was shortly after a cleaning.  Perhaps the SG needs to get worked into the areas it wants to be in.

That could be. I wonder if folks are just gooping the crap out of their guns, slapping them back together and walking up to the line with a gun that's basically hydraulically locked shut.

I always cycle my action a bunch manually, just to get the excess Glide out of the slide rails before I go shooting. I've shot the thing in freezing downpours with zero malfs. I'll probably have a new Limited gun here shortly. I'll see if I can duplicate it while things are chilly.

I'd say that sub-zero (Celsius) temperatures shouldn't be a problem for SG.

I just received this stuff from BE store, and gave my Limited (Standard for IPSC) gun a deep cleaning, then coated the inside with SG#1. At the end of this process, I too hand-cycled the action a few times to have the excess grease coming out of the rails.

The next morning I went to the range: it was about -2 °C at the time I started (9 a.m.), and had heated up to +8° when I finished (12 p.m.), but my gun functioned flawlessly all the time.

Although I'm only starting to get experienced (read addict) with SG, I didn't have any jam.

I have used SG Lite in temperatures ranging from 12° F (-11° C) to 21° F (-6° C) in my CZ 85 (production) without problems, I use it sparingly and always cycle to remove excess before firing.

I missed the opportunity to test in -7.6° F (-22° C) this week, there was no daylight left when I returned home from work at 17.00 .... B)

Using the light SG, at TJ's class a few weeks ago, my slide was sooo slow and sluggish. The temp was prob. around 40 degrees, felt colder though. I took some of my buddies rem oil and WOW, what a difference. So I use a mixture of SG and light oil, such as rem oil. The Kell lube was not any better in the cold. So I keep Kell Lube and Rem oil in my bag and will oil according to the weather.

• 10 months later...

I REALLY should have remembered this thread before shooting last weekend. I believe the match director has video of my STI Edge's slide oozzzzzzzzing along like a clip from the $6 million man before stove piping. I think I'll use Rem Oil until the spring thaw then go back to SG.

On the first stage it was not a problem. After being out in the 15 degree (f) with about a -15 wind chill on the second stage it only jammed once, then was warm enough to run fine. On stage three you could watch the slide ease back as the gun fired then think about going forward for awhile, (anyone got a sandwich?) then stop on a stovepipe. Drop the mag, clear out the empty brass and new round, insert new mag, push slide completly forward fire a round and repeat. After about 6 rounds like this I was getting pretty good at clearing failure to feed/extract/go into battery failures and the gun had warmed up enough to finish a 20 second stage in 46 seconds. :lol:

I've been using SG exclusivly for 2 years and never had any problems with malfunctions but my slide has in cold weather been so slow that you can follow it on a web cam. For those cold days I mix SG with Break Free.

It is a grease, so it is temperature sensitive. Below 50 degrees: S-G Lite applied sparingly.

Being grease, the Glide was never originally intended to be used in cold weather or in duty or carry guns, because it will always slow down the slide's cycling time. However, with the addition of the Lite to S-G's line (thanks to the forum), especially if applied sparingly, it can be used in colder weather. But please don't forget that it is a grease, so if you're wondering whether your gun will work because it's freezing outside, don't use it. Instead use a light oil, like FP-10 for example. (Break free is a horrible lubricant.)

be

It is a grease, so it is temperature sensitive. Below 50 degrees: S-G Lite applied sparingly.

Being grease, the Glide was never originally intended to be used in cold weather or in duty or carry guns, because it will always slow down the slide's cycling time. However, with the addition of the Lite to S-G's line (thanks to the forum), especially if applied sparingly, it can be used in colder weather. But please don't forget that it is a grease, so if you're wondering whether your gun will work because it's freezing outside, don't use it. Instead use a light oil, like FP-10 for example. (Break free is a horrible lubricant.)

be

I use #1 into the low 50s on my Limited gun (which has zero play) with no problems. Haven't broken out the SGLite yet.

BreakFree might be a sucky lubricant, but it's a GREAT cleaner. ;):D

If you want to use a grease in cold weather, try TW25B. It's what I use on my carry guns and I know from experience it works nicely no matter how cold or hot it gets.

Kellube works pretty well in the cold too, if you don't use too much.

I used to mix SG and Break free to about 50/50, but I only use FP-10 because it isn't as temperature sensitive at around freezing as most.

Have had even better results with Mil-L-7808 (Aircraft turbine engine oil) As an experiment, I put a little SG Lite, FP-10 and 7808 in small cups and stuck each in the freezer overnight. SG and FP-10 became the consistency of butter while the 7808 kept it's liquid form and still flowed smoothly. But that test was for the most extreme conditions (around zero degrees F)

I run SG-Lite once the temp hits 50 (#1 from 50 to 80 and #3 above 80). Even Lite can get balky down below 20 but I have found that cycling the slide a few times gets it moving again and it will run just fine after that.

I have just made a few cycles of the slide part of my LAMR procedure year-round now and it works fine.

be

BE, Can SG be used for looooooong term storage of guns? I've heard that some greases and oils contain a small amount of acid (i think) that is not very good for the gun in long term storage.

I've heard that some greases and oils contain a small amount of acid (i think) that is not very good for the gun in long term storage.

Dalmas,

I'm confident 'cause I use an oil that suits my SV's and my Carrera. There's no oil containing acid going into my Carrera-engine or lubricating my SV's.

And the use of Slick 50 preserves my Carrera-engine and my SV's (I'm the prowd owner of three of them) :rolleyes:

i had the same problem a few years ago when i got the new open blaster. i sent all my buddies a pic of it with the statement, "i have a new can of Whoop Ass so watch out. the day of the match was similar to yours, jam-o-matic on the first stage, added light oil and proceeded to win the rest of the stages after that. i told everyone that i got the new can of whoop ass and forgot to read the instructions. it said "thaw before using" :D

lynn

BE, Can SG be used for looooooong term storage of guns? I've heard that some greases and oils contain a small amount of acid (i think) that is not very good for the gun in long term storage.

I'll get back to you...

be