Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area Match

Area 5 match is being held locally. I only have one match under my belt now and was wondering if this was a match I could or should shoot in. Would I be better off shooting a few more local matches first? I just saw this match was a short drive for me and thought if would be fun and a learning experience. Any thoughts or advise would be great.

Thanks, foilhat

Good expierence. Remember almost all of our un happiness comes from comparing ourselves with others. So this in mind keep your expectations in line. Concentrate soley on making hits and the rest will take care of itsself.

So go for it, and at the end you will know what you need to learn as you go along.

Good Luck have fun and be safe.

Patrick,

As a member of Tri County Gun Club; consider this your invitation

to shoot Area 5 with us. I understand we have 321 shooters signed

up so far. It will be a great experience.

Ron V/aka Sparky

i was in the same position you are earlier this year. I was unclassified and had a local Level II major event about 40 min from my house. Absolutely the best decision I made to shoot it! Don't miss out on this type of match if its in your neighborhood.

I just shot Area 6 last month. It was my first big match and well worth it. Didn't shoot that good but had a blast and got to watch some GMs shoot

GO FOR IT

Edited by drodriguez

Thanks guys

I don't have my classification yet, so it looks like I'm shooting U. Sparky, the total is up by one more now. You guys should be at 322. Just got done with the sign-up sheet. Now I just have to wait for my PIN. Now I need to go practice for the next two weeks.

Thanks guys

I don't have my classification yet, so it looks like I'm shooting U. Sparky, the total is up by one more now. You guys should be at 322. Just got done with the sign-up sheet. Now I just have to wait for my PIN. Now I need to go practice for the next two weeks.

There's a match this weekend at the same range as the Area 5... be there. Also one at Pine Tree the following weekend....be there. That will give you two more locals, one of them will give you a comfort with thr range you wouldn't otherwise attain... be there.

I got your app tonight...

Welcome to A5. :)

JT

Thanks guys

Foilhat,

Welcome. Like Jim said we have our regular monthly match this Sunday at Tri County (its a three gun, but you

can just shoot handgun and lunch is included). Also like Jim said there is a Sunday match at Pine Tree Pistol

Club the first Sunday in June (Pine Tree is an indoor range in Rockford, IL). That would give you a little more

than practice if you make either or both of those matches.

Sparky

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely do go the the match.

However, watch how other shooters do it, NOT how fast.

Shoot your own game. Get your hits.

I've seen too many new shooters watch the big dawgs, and try to run fast. Then their new friend Mike shows up. Even on close wide open targets.

So, take it easy, don't get flustered, enjoy the experience, be safe.

treat it as a local match, with a lot more shooters, yrs ago i finally made it to a nationals back in barry, Ill. which i had sorta envisioned as the 'mecca' for us practical shooters, only to realize they had just as many holes in their barricades as the ones we had at my home range,

go for it, it will be fun, and you will meet ALOT of great shooters, ask a ton of questions, video the 'super squads' if you can...yeah, go for it, good luck, and most of all, have fun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Absolutely! Remember safety first by keeping that finger out of the trigger while moving and reloading (this were my 1st DQ as a newbie) and have fun meeting some great peeps!