Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squibs with Titegroup

diablodawg

I recently had to switch to Titegroup from WST due to shortage of powder in my area. With WST, I experience no bad rounds in approximately 4k. Since switching to Titegroup; I have experienced 7-8 low powder rounds, including 2 squibs lodged in the barrel, in less than 2k. Additionally, when weighing powder throws, the Titegroup is very inconsistant in its weight; occasionally being off (light) by as much as .7 gr. Obviously, the squibs are my fault for not paying attention to the weight of every round I load, but it is disconcerting that I have had so many problems with this powder. Is it a metering problem with Titegroup or all me? Has anyone else had problems with Titegroup metering through a 550?

I have not used it with my XL650 but with the Hornady LNL it is very consistent. The Crono results for TiteGroup are lower ES and SD than WST. 9 mm 125gr Jacketed (4.3gr TiteGroup vs 4.7gr WST). You might want to try N320 when you can't get WST.

Have you torn the powder measure down and cleaned it lately? Be sure to clean the inside of the powder funnel, crud can build up in there.

Never lubricate a powder measure, even the LNL.

Is it a metering problem with Titegroup or all me?

It is very consistent on my 550 so it's all you. :devil:

Something is wrong with your powder measure if Titegroup doesn't meter well. As CocoBolo said, tear it down and clean everything and then see how it works.

Edited by bdpaz

What kind of powder measure/press are you using? I use titegroup and have been extremely happy with the consistancy of the throws.

Corey,

The last sentence of his post mentions his 550.

CYa,

Pat

I can only add the data point that with a LnL if you are not using the pistol powder insert, titegroup will meter VERY badly once you go under 5gr. At 5gr and above, it's incosistent, but usually just .1 or .2, under that, it can be .8 or more. 

Are you using the small charge bar in the 550? (I have no idea how bulky WST is). 

What kind of powder measure/press are you using? I use titegroup and have been extremely happy with the consistancy of the throws.

Corey,

CYa,

Pat

crap, im blind :ph34r:

I would be approximately 72.9 times more likely to blame the press and/or the reloading procedure than the powder, especially if I'd run 2K rounds and experienced 10 problems. There are a lot of people using TG without those sorts of problems.

My guess is that you either had a clump or an obstruction that worked itself through the hopper, or the hopper itself is out of whack somewhere.

I use Titegroup in my 550 and it is very consistent. Any chance that something binding in the powder throw bar? A moisture issue that has caused the powder to clump?

Edited by Brooks

I've been loading with titegroup for a long time and have never had a problem with consistency. check out uniquetek.com they have some great products to help improve the consistency of your powder throws.

I also use a 550 and use TG with no problems with consistency. I use TG for 45 acp and 40 S&W. Very consistent for me.

Couple tips make sure the powder hopper is 3/4 full throw 15 charges and dump them back into the powder hopper. Now you are ready to check your charge weight. Weigh ten charges and divide that by 10 to get your true individual charge weight. Also do not store powder in the hopper empty it after your reloading session is done.

Example if I want 5gr of TG the weight of ten charges should be 50.0gr.

Hope that helps.

I also use a 550 and use TG with no problems with consistency. I use TG for 45 acp and 40 S&W. Very consistent for me.

Couple tips make sure the powder hopper is 3/4 full throw 15 charges and dump them back into the powder hopper. Now you are ready to check your charge weight. Weigh ten charges and divide that by 10 to get your true individual charge weight. Also do not store powder in the hopper empty it after your reloading session is done.

Example if I want 5gr of TG the weight of ten charges should be 50.0gr.

Hope that helps.

+1 on bkeeler's post

I was using 5 powder throws divided by 5. But 10 is that much better.

Corey,

CYa,

Pat

That explains your shooting then! :roflol:

I have another opinion on the testing of powder throws. Dropping a total of 4 or 10 loads ...or even 100 then dividing the number only gives you the average charge "thrown". Which is NOT good enough!!

I do that too..... but I would never consider trusting only that process because it's only an average. For.... example 5 loads of 8 grains and 5 loads of 2 grains would give you an average of 5 grains per load..... but half of the loads would probably be squibs and the other half (especially with TG) would probably blow up your gun.

After you are "close" use individually weighed charges to determine if you are "dead on"...... Especially if you have had consistency issues in the past.

Remember also if you do not have all the stations on your press loaded with cases you will get a different results than if they are. I was told that by the gurus at Dillon.

Good luck.

Edited by MichiganShootist

Corey,

CYa,

Pat

That explains your shooting then! :roflol:

<_<

lol

I do a little of both. Ill run a few through my measure to get it flowing. then weigh a single charge. while its tetering on my balance beam scale. ill run 5 more off into a 2nd pan on pop it onto my digital scale and see what the total is. then i switch measuring devices for both pans to verify. hasn't failed me yet

Edited by Corey

I have another opinion on the testing of powder throws. Dropping a total of 4 or 10 loads ...or even 100 then dividing the number only gives you the average charge "thrown". Which is NOT good enough!!

I do that too..... but I would never consider trusting only that process because it's only an average. For.... example 5 loads of 8 grains and 5 loads of 2 grains would give you an average of 5 grains per load..... but half of the loads would probably be squibs and the other half (especially with TG) would probably blow up your gun.

After you are "close" use individually weighed charges to determine if you are "dead on"...... Especially if you have had consistency issues in the past.

Remember also if you do not have all the stations on your press loaded with cases you will get a different results than if they are. I was told that by the gurus at Dillon.

Good luck.

Example: The first drop into the pan weighs 5.0gr,the second 10.0gr the 3rd 15gr........... so I do not see where you are coming from I watch each drop into the pan when it hits 50gr that's 10 drops. Digital scales are usally +/-.1gr If you read 1 drop it actually could be 4.959gr not that that makes too much difference. YMMV

I recently had to switch to Titegroup from WST due to shortage of powder in my area. With WST, I experience no bad rounds in approximately 4k. Since switching to Titegroup; I have experienced 7-8 low powder rounds, including 2 squibs lodged in the barrel, in less than 2k. Additionally, when weighing powder throws, the Titegroup is very inconsistant in its weight; occasionally being off (light) by as much as .7 gr. Obviously, the squibs are my fault for not paying attention to the weight of every round I load, but it is disconcerting that I have had so many problems with this powder. Is it a metering problem with Titegroup or all me? Has anyone else had problems with Titegroup metering through a 550?

I have not experienced any issue with extreme variation of powder weight with my Dillon 550 and Titegroup in 9mm. However, I recently switched to WSF for my 9mm loads as I prefer a slower burning powder.

I have noticed that the granule size of Titegroup is not as consistent as either WST or WSF - I see lot more fine particles in Titegroup.

AS mentioned earlier, check the powder measure. The other thing to consider is Titegroup does NOT like low charge weights. I have seen and heard of erratic behavior when shooters where trying for low PF reloads.

• 2 months later...

In my Dillon 650 measure, TG measures like dry sand; every bit as good as 231, and better than Clays. Wherever your problem lies, it's probably not with the powder in this case.

A suggestion: since you're using a 550, I'm assuming you're using the same measure as I, and that the instructions for setting the powder drop are the same. If so, ensure that when the press is cycled, the white plastic block in the side of the measure that slides back & forth goes all the way to the end.