Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squibs with Titegroup

diablodawg

Additionally, when weighing powder throws, the Titegroup is very inconsistant in its weight; occasionally being off (light) by as much as .7 gr.

I load TG almost exclusively (first on an SDB and then on my 650). I have never seen it be off like that.

You probably have an obstruction in the powder measure. And, they can be hard to find because of that bridge in the bottom...when you turn the powder measure up-side-down to dump and check it, stuff can stay caught in that bridge in the bottom.

If not that, next check the operation of the powder measure.

Last guess would be wet/clumping powder (somehow?). I'd suspect a spider had nested in the system before I'd guess the powder to be at fault.

Could you somehow be short stroking the handle....? If you have the old style measure linkage I would check the springs that wrap around the measure and see if they are tight enough to move/return the powder bar its full travel. If the new powder system or old powder system check and make sure your link rod has some tension on it at its resting position and make sure the powder bar has a full stroke - complete forward and rearward movement.

Make sure your powder tie has not backed off - probably would notice by the brass not being belled as much if this is the case.

As other have said - Check and see if there is something blocking flow in the hopper its self...

As others have said TG is fine so lets find your problem. Make sure part #13845 is in your measure, it is a white plastic collar. If it is not go back to the last container you emptied powder into, get it out and reinstall in the powder measure.

If it is in the measure make sure the powder bar is making a complete stroke, it should be flush with the measure housing and spacer when the ram is all the way up.

You didn’t say what charge you were using but Dillon makes 4 different powder bars make sure you have the appropriate one for the load you are using.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a problem with my 650 a while back with inconsistant loads and found the compression washer behind the adj screw on the powder measure had lost its tension. the adj screw could be moved by hand I called dillon and they sent me a new washer fixed the problem !!

In my Dillon powder measure and in my RCBS ChargeMaster, TiteGroup clings to all surfaces. This hasn't effected the charge dispensed, but it has certainly made cleaning out the measure more difficult. I have also noticed that it has a tendency to clump a bit. I could certainly see where a different lot could cause problems. So far, I haven't found any reason to move to it over AA2, AA5, and 231/HP38.

• 3 weeks later...

Approximately 6K rounds of 9mm with titegroup through my 650 - not a single squib or any major variation even with minor shell snapping. The most variation i'll get is a tenth of a grain. TG is great, no problems here.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive used titegroup in my .45 for a while and never had any more than a .1 weight deviation and never had a squib loading in my LNL. My father had no concerns in his 550, but with the dillon powder measure it does occasionally have a .2 deviation in weight. That has not been a problem with titegroup for him. For example, my father shoots 4.5gr. charge behind a 200 gr LSWC for bullseye and it is accurate and functions in both his 1911's everytime. Considering Hodgden's published starting charge is 4.8!

But I did notice that because of it's slightly bigger kernal size the charge weight deviation is alot more if your not using the pistol insert/small charge bar in these presses. So I would have to unfortunately say the problem lies with an operator or a general equipment malfunction :(

Edited by BallisticianX

I have another opinion on the testing of powder throws. Dropping a total of 4 or 10 loads ...or even 100 then dividing the number only gives you the average charge "thrown". Which is NOT good enough!!

I do that too..... but I would never consider trusting only that process because it's only an average. For.... example 5 loads of 8 grains and 5 loads of 2 grains would give you an average of 5 grains per load..... but half of the loads would probably be squibs and the other half (especially with TG) would probably blow up your gun.

After you are "close" use individually weighed charges to determine if you are "dead on"...... Especially if you have had consistency issues in the past.

Remember also if you do not have all the stations on your press loaded with cases you will get a different results than if they are. I was told that by the gurus at Dillon.

Good luck.

So what...not having a case in every station somehow causes an imbalance and knocks the load off? Just curious, thanks.

Remember also if you do not have all the stations on your press loaded with cases you will get a different results than if they are. I was told that by the gurus at Dillon.

Good luck.

So what...not having a case in every station somehow causes an imbalance and knocks the load off? Just curious, thanks.

I don't know that you'd get a variation in the amount of powder delivered, but you will get a variation in the other stations (overall length being one of them).

Your powder drop weights WILL NOTbe affected by the number of stations occupied with a case, this goes for the Dillon and LNL. For that matter nothing else will be affected either. The source of that information saying it will is incorrect. I can assure you of that from my experience and my close relations over the years with Dillon and Hornady. Im also pretty sure that this not an issue on an RCBS progressive either, though I dont own one there basic operation is very similiar to the LNL.

• 1 month later...

The other thing to consider is Titegroup does NOT like low charge weights. I have seen and heard of erratic behavior when shooters where trying for low PF reloads.

What is considered a "low charge weight" for TG?

• 2 weeks later...

Had very good results with TiteGroup for years, one of the better metering powders.

I shoot Solo 1000 and had trouble with powder bridging, the fix was to polish the inside of the powder funnel with a wad of Q tips and Simicrome polish, I feel it helps with other powders as well.

Check linkages and bolts to be sure nothing's bent loose or missing causing problems.

I always pour powder through a funnel and watch as it flows to check for clumps in the powder and shake the jug a little before pouring.

Always put the top on the powder measure and back on the jug as soon as you finish pouring powder.

The little white bushing on the side of the measure that operated the powder bar came out once and I had similar problems. The measure would work but be inconstant.

Looked at the book that part is called Bellcrank Cube #13871

Not sure if it was mentioned before but I had some squibs with tite group.

The reason was i was getting to much dillon case lube inside the cases. This was neutralizing the powder resulting in mouse fart rounds and squibs.

Good luck :)

• 3 weeks later...

I get +/- 0.1gr using Titegroup with my RL550B and a 5.0gr nominal charge. A few percent of rounds will measure 0.2gr off. As others mentioned, make sure the powder charge bar is moving all the way from one extreme to the other. Clean the whole setup and check everything out. I had inconsistent loads once because I inserted the failsafe rod from the wrong side of the bell cranks (the bar that goes from the ram to the powder measure). This caused the bar not to always move all the way one side to the other. Gave the rounds to a new shooter so I got the pleasure of a new barrel on my six shooter after he ringed it :)