Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock VS STI Edge for Limited

WildWest N AZ

So I am a limited shooter who truly believes in my Glocks and ive beaten STI guns before. I also believe that a shooter makes his or her blaster go not the other way around. I for some reason have taken a interest into Edge here lately, and I cant figure out why either? Me being so very Glock is the way to go! Im wondering if any of you own both a Glock and STI for limited duty, and if you feel that one or the other is any better suited for the job? I guess what Im affraid of most is if I buy an STI my 35 will become a dust collector? maybe ive posted this for nothing and its just more or less what you like to run and our more comfortable with and nothing more....

Only one way to know, and that's to try both. For some there will be no difference, and for some one or the other will be better. For many people I think the single action trigger is an advantage. Beyond that it really comes down to how each fits your hand. R,

Try the search. This is one of those "beat to death" topics that seems to crop up every few weeks/days. In the end, shoot what makes "you" happy.

I knew that this a beat to death ?, but just wanting to find someone that shoots both brands to shed some insight on it for me? thanks for the help...

Depends. How much have you done to your Glock?

Does it have at least a super trigger kit from Charlie Vanek? Does it have good sights? A good magwell?

I shoot a "tricked out" G35 in limited. I toyed with the idea of getting an STI but I was honest with myself and realized that the gun isn't the limiting factor. Until I reach the point where it's the gun holding my scores back and not me, I'll keep shooting the G35 and spend the extra $$$ on ammo components.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

Well, okay, I've owned and shot both. When I first started shooting, I shot Glocks exclusively, and I also took much glee mocking the guys with the higher end guns because I got into Limited with a much cheaper investment. I also beat a few guys with my Glock here and there. And I can admit I did get a stupid smile on my face every time I saw one choke in a match. I also thought my Glock was a sewing machine until I started to add things to it. Then it became just as unreliable as the S_I's I would often mock. I have plenty of video of my old Glocks choking in competition.

Then one day during practice, I shot my friends double stack .40. It was a Armscor double stack. It handled the recoil of a .40 much better because of the extra weight. Thus, my splits where noticeably faster. And I also noticed I was much more accurate, as his trigger job was far beyond the Vanek trigger of my Glock. My beliefs are based on my experience, and what I experienced could not be denied. I shot my Glock one more match before selling it.

Long story short, I eventually sold all 4 of my Glocks and bought an 1911 and have not looked back. If you don't believe me, I have recorded every match I've ever shot, with the exception of my very first match and they are all posted on Youtube. You will see I used to shoot nothing but Glocks, then after October of 2007, it was replaced by 1911's, and I have shot nothing but 1911's since. I have a few older ones, but they are painful to watch because they were of my Glock 35 choking badly in matches.

I'm now a firm believer that any gun can and will choke if not properly maintained or set up properly. And I also believe that it's always the indian, and not the arrow. But if you give that indian straighter arrow's he's likely to be a better indian.

My "old" Glock 35...

G35-001.jpg

YMMV

Edited by Aristotle

This has to be a trick question the guy that posted it is Glock. I love my STI HPF Edge it cost 4 times as much as a Glock.

I got beat Sat by a guy with a glock, in fact he is the one that always says "Either you can shoot or you can't" ok next match I'll be in the can shoot column. That same guy could't see my tail lights with his Para.

It is the Indian and not the Bow. Shoot what fits in your hand and puts a grin on your face.

Edited by CocoBolo

I own and shoot both SV's and Glocks for different games, the SV's for USPSA and the Glocks for GSSF. I started shooting a G35 in USPSA, but felt the single action trigger and weight of the SV allowed for smoother runs.

The Glocks run by Sveigny and Vogel seem to do a great job thereby reinforcing the "indian not the arrow" idea presented earlier. I will continue to shoot and carry both because I don't feel hindered by either.

Good luck on your journey!

Hello: For Production a Glock 34 is great. For Limited I like the STI Eagle style pistol better. I even like my 6" STI I built better still. I want to try a 5" STI with a bull barrel but with a short dust cover next. I just need to fit the barrel. For me the Glock 35 was a little too light shooting major loads with 185 grain Precision bullets. The STI just feels better in my hand. I also compared my classifier scores and I shot the 6" best of all the Limited pistols so far. So for me it looks like a 6" STI 2011 is the one that works best for me. Thanks, Eric

My 35 is tricked out to the max by SJC, so its setup and runs with out issue. I know that you dont need an STI ect to win matches thats been proven by the big names. But what I have found is that everyone that Ive talked to has never looked back after moving up to the 2011 platform. Every thing is double or triple the price to buy though mags for example! I guess what im most afraid of is to be honest is that Ill love edge so much ill just forgot about my Glocks all together? Sounds dumb but thats whats holding me back from buying at this point? LoL

My 35 is tricked out to the max by SJC, so its setup and runs with out issue. I know that you dont need an STI ect to win matches thats been proven by the big names. But what I have found is that everyone that Ive talked to has never looked back after moving up to the 2011 platform. Every thing is double or triple the price to buy though mags for example! I guess what im most afraid of is to be honest is that Ill love edge so much ill just forgot about my Glocks all together? Sounds dumb but thats whats holding me back from buying at this point? LoL

So I guess in the end its up to me if I want to make the move to a 2011? I think the best thing for me or anyone considering that pricy of an investment is to become friends with an STI owner and in hopes they might let me run a match or at least try it out to see if it fits you or not? Thanks for the insight....

Edited by WildWest N AZ

Hello: If you are second guessing your choice, then it is time to try something else. I would keep your Glock just in case you decide you shoot it better. Like I said, for me the Glock 34 is the right choice for shooting Production. I have tried some of the best Production pistols but the Glock is it. I tried them and sold them. Don't keep pistols you won't shoot, let someone else enjoy them :cheers: It may take you a while to find the right one for you. I am still looking :devil: Thanks, Eric

I was shooting a 34 in production and a 35 in limited when I got the urge to jump on the boat and I bought an edge. It was the enhanced from Brazos and I am very very happy with it. During this purchase, I was a B class shooter in production. I bought the edge (2007) in a time when I really wanted to improve and I thought this may be the ticket. Well I realized that I just needed to focus on production and get better there as it would surely translate into other divisions (which I think it did). The 2011 grip is different and if I am going to run the Edge in competition I will do a lot of dry fire with it beforehand, because sometimes I don't depress the grip safety enough. Now I prefer to focus on the Glock and I think it fits my hand like a glove. But if I put as much practice into my 2011, I am sure I would say the same about it. I'm glad I have it to play but I felt I needed to focus on one system as I improve.

Why can't you have both. I break that edge out to just have fun. When you get known as a production shooter at your local clubs its cool when the others see you maybe twice a year with the 2011 and they rib you about about finally getting with the program. I think it is funny.

So I am a limited shooter who truly believes in my Glocks and ive beaten STI guns before. I also believe that a shooter makes his or her blaster go not the other way around. I for some reason have taken a interest into Edge here lately, and I cant figure out why either? Me being so very Glock is the way to go! Im wondering if any of you own both a Glock and STI for limited duty, and if you feel that one or the other is any better suited for the job? I guess what Im affraid of most is if I buy an STI my 35 will become a dust collector? maybe ive posted this for nothing and its just more or less what you like to run and our more comfortable with and nothing more....

If you have an interest in a STI buy a used one. If it doesn't shoot you sell it. They hold their value. I use this saying a lot and I got it from Flex, " just pick one and SHOOT IT".

Hello: If you are second guessing your choice, then it is time to try something else. I would keep your Glock just in case you decide you shoot it better. Like I said, for me the Glock 34 is the right choice for shooting Production. I have tried some of the best Production pistols but the Glock is it. I tried them and sold them. Don't keep pistols you won't shoot, let someone else enjoy them :cheers: It may take you a while to find the right one for you. I am still looking :devil: Thanks, Eric

Ive gotten to point of wanting to know if another brand would suit my needs better or is the glock platform the way to go for me? I just need to get my hands on one to see how it feels and runs, I wouldnt buy a high dollar car with out taking her for a test run.... lol

as for me, at least in USPSA type matches it will always be a 2011 style platform, i prefer it, doesnt mean im bashing Glocks, love em, shoot the heck out of em in GSSF matches, stink with em in USPSA matches, go figure??? for me cant seem to run a pivoting trigger as well as my 1911 trigger at speed

I want to try a 5" STI with a bull barrel but with a short dust cover next.

That's what I have.

I love the STI. The single action trigger goes a long way. I have tried and tried to shoot production but I just love the single action trigger way too much.

I think with the Edge you'll have a little easier time getting good scores because of the light single action trigger, extra weight for recoil control, etc once you put in some practice and dry fire time. Good deals on used Edges pop up now and then; if you get a used one and try it you could always unload it and not lose out too much if you dont like it. Echoing the posts above, it definitely is the Indian not the arrow, but give the Indian an arrow that is a little easier to shoot and he'll probably be a better Indian. I have a Brazos tuned Edge which is scary accurate and boringly reliable; love it ;) .

Thank you for everyones input helped me alot! Had a chance to get my hands on Edge tonight? Felt pretty good in the hands and has me thinking I would like to run one for a bit to put my questions on which is better for me to bed? LoL Seems from what Ive read Brazo's is the place to buy one from?

I’m a little reluctant to go to the 2011 platform since I shoot my SS 1911 much worse than I shoot my Glocks, even with its nice light, short travel trigger. My Glock trigger is fairly light and crisp too, but longer travel and better reset pressure. A GM told some of us in a competition class that the whole short, crisp thing is overrated and that people are more likely to slap the trigger. He may have a point since I get about 3 times more mikes in matches where I run the SS. When I was getting ready for the WSSSC at Rio Salado the hammer broke on my SS and I switched to the G21SF for 2 weeks. My times and accuracy (at speed) definitely improved and then worsened after the 1911 got fixed. To me the 1911 seems more flippy despite its considerable weight and I can’t track the sights very well. Keep in mind I’ve only been shooting Glocks for about a year and had my 1911’s well before I ever bought a Glock. Does the 2011 have the same recoil dynamics as the 1911?