Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hey Single Stack shooters . . .

I've been shooting limited up til now and now that I've shot the required classifiers to get my initial classification in limited, I'm going to start shooting some single stack, beginning next Sunday.

To all the single stack shooters - any advice you can give me? Going from 20 to 8 rounds per mag is sure to be a huge change in my thought process for figuring out stages!

Edited by Pro2AInPA

this is over simplefied

If your moving your reloading

take a little more care about your shooting, theres just not

enough bullets in the gun to make up very many shots with out going to a reload

once at slide lock and there 8rnd arrays all the rest will be at slide lock

I shoot in single stack minus 2, or revo division, my advice, front sight and don't miss, steel must be bang/ding,,bang/ding,,bang/ding,,, not bang bang ding,,, bang bang bang bang #$@^%$*&&^% bang ding,,,,, have fun

Thats right, no more squirting shots. One for one on steel, set-up, verify, then fire. Funny thing is shooting like this ends up being faster then shooting 12 shots at a platerack with the Limited gun .. ;)

as others have said: dont miss. not many extra bullets to make up for bad shots. Learn to reload-very smooth and very fast: you'll be doing it a lot!! :P If you take more than one step to find a target, grab a fresh mag. Stage planning will be different as well, just try to find the 8s. As previously posted, avoid going to slide lock. if you do, you'll be there the rest of the stage (trust me after my match today: 4 SL reloads on one stage altho they were unavoidable as i had to start empty).

While SS may be the only division I've competed in, I absolutely LOVE it! its a challenge, its fun, i love the 1911.

• 2 weeks later...

I find the biggest hole in my SS game is stage managent. I have only been shooting a year and most of the guys I shoot with either shoot limited or open, so walking through a stage they try to help but some times forget that I shoot a SS

Make every shot count. When the wheels fall off of plan A, transition smoothly to Plan B.

If you are moving you are reloading. Practice--practice--practice reloads. You are going to be doing

a lot of them. Make sure you practice all the way to that back mag pouch, the one you hope you

never need.

Be S-M-O-O-T-H. Smooth is fast.

Carry a lot of mags. I shoot production with six, I'd want eight or nine for SS. On well designed stages, there's be more places where you'll fire two or four and then reload. On stages that are set in multiples of six or eight, you'll barely notice the difference....

I shoot SS from time to time. It helps me shoot more accurately. I do miss my 20 rd limited rig, but it is a challenge. I also production for the same reason. If you move reload+++++. Practice the reloads.

Don't miss is a good one, however, being human and in a hurry.....

If you do miss, have to do an extra reload and get off your plan, reload again to bring the gun up to capacity before carrying on with the rest of the stage.

Edited by BillD

Make good hits fast. Don't miss.

Analyze the stage to your strengths, reload to emphasize them, and carry enough mags to do so.

So, master the reload, slide closed and slide lock.

Know how to fix "errors" on your feet fast.

Misses in SS cost one big time. . . .

And, of course, that blaster better run 100% 24/7!

If you do miss, have to do an extra reload and get off your plan, reload again to bring the gun up to capacity before carrying on with the rest of the stage.

I have also adopted this so the rest of the stage goes as planed. I also agree with others on reloading while moving, practicing reloads, get a good magwell, and shot a stage as best for your strengths.

This is right after don't miss! Don't try to replan the stage on the fly! If you need a couple extra shots on a star thats fine just do another reload and get back to your plan.

This is right after don't miss! Don't try to replan the stage on the fly! If you need a couple extra shots on a star thats fine just do another reload and get back to your plan.

had to do this EXACT thing yesterday. was going to shoot 2 poppers and the star then reload and move to the last array. had some star issues and did a standing reload( :( ) first 2 shots in fresh mag finished up the star. I immediately hit the release and went for another mag to get back on track.

Edited by Corey

When you say find the eights are you shooting until empty or will you make a mag change say after a 6 and having to move to the next array. or are you shooting until a empty mag. I seem to be doing alot of standing changes.

I've been shooting limited up til now and now that I've shot the required classifiers to get my initial classification in limited, I'm going to start shooting some single stack, beginning next Sunday.

To all the single stack shooters - any advice you can give me? Going from 20 to 8 rounds per mag is sure to be a huge change in my thought process for figuring out stages!

Shoot it like it's Virginia count all the time. Have extra mags on your belt (5 is absolute minimum for long stages). Movement almost always equals a reload. Forget tricks or gaming stages. Single Stack is about execution of the fundamentals, not seeing something somebody else missed.

When you say find the eights are you shooting until empty or will you make a mag change say after a 6 and having to move to the next array. or are you shooting until a empty mag. I seem to be doing alot of standing changes.

Try to find how you can take 8 shots from each position/area when possible....sometimes it's smart to add a target or two from another array that you happen to be able to see.

Here's a scenario. There are two targets you can only see from the start position. The next position has four targets to engage, but you can see two of them from the start position. The third position has two final targets. Shoot the two from the start, plus the two you can see from the second array, reload while moving to the second array, shoot the two remaining from the second array, and then two from the third position. It's one less reload and one less opportunity to fumble a reload. If you have a lot of room between each of those three positions it may be a minimal advantage, but if they're pretty close it can help you shave half a second or so by eliminating a reload. R,

Buy the biggest magwell that will make the gun come under the weight limit. The Dawson ICE is nice if you can afford the weight and money. Get good sights to help you NOT MISS, as was said above. While most people dryfire, I just practice reloads and do little actual dryfiring. Know exactly where the gun will shoot so you don't have to make up a miss on a steel plate.

And what everyone else said above on stage planning, not missing, and reloading on the move. If you are moving, you are reloading. Get it down so that you can have the reload complete in the first step or two then haul a$$ to the next array.

I've been shooting SS Since March 2007 and I love it. The division is getting more popluar as well.

Welcome to the Division!!

Chris

Buy the biggest magwell that will make the gun come under the weight limit. The Dawson ICE is nice if you can afford the weight and money. Get good sights to help you NOT MISS, as was said above. While most people dryfire, I just practice reloads and do little actual dryfiring. Know exactly where the gun will shoot so you don't have to make up a miss on a steel plate.

And what everyone else said above on stage planning, not missing, and reloading on the move. If you are moving, you are reloading. Get it down so that you can have the reload complete in the first step or two then haul a$$ to the next array.

I've been shooting SS Since March 2007 and I love it. The division is getting more popluar as well.

Welcome to the Division!!

Chris

Well said Chris. :cheers: SS is demanding, but is fun to shoot.

A.T.