Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lets talk about SS mag cleaning

Corey

How often and when do you guys clean your SS mags? I'm talking about taking the springs out, base pads off, etc not just a wipe down. In anticipation of my new Dawson base pads coming tomorrow, i decided to tear mine down and give'em a good cleaning. got 4 of them done in about a half hour (On my behalf i was watching TV while doing it) There is NO WAY to do that every time between stages, at least not with my CMC power mags. Its not hard, just sorta time consuming. Do you guys clean them before a match after a match, every so-many rounds?

What say you?

Never.. so far.

If I dropped them in mud, it would be a different story, but the normal range dirt, etc.. never bothered mine. Maybe I'm living on borrowed time.

I did by a Arredondo mag cleaner brush, I think I used once on STI mags.

what kind of mags are you guys using? even if i was hustling it seems like id need 3-4 minutes to get the spring and follower out (if i get a mag brush, itd save me a bit of time) clean it up and put it back together. That 15-20 min of mag cleaning after a big stage. I do like to help paste and set steel to help my squad move along and this would kill a bunch of that ability.

myself I use wilson and tripp

my son uses powermags is just as quick

push the follower down

insert punch

let follower fall

remove punch

catch spring

almost as fast as you read this

First, since I'm always running the timer most of the time, I have enough magazines on hand and loaded to finish a local 5-6 stage match. That's 15 right now. Unless I'm at a range with grass or non-dusty gravel, if they hit the ground they go is a separate pocket and get a complete cleaning at home. If I need to load more to finish the match, there are always a few that didn't hit the ground. If I'm at a major match, magazine cleaning makes for a nice break in the action. If it's a squaded match, and my equipment needs to be taken care of, someone else can tape.

Second, every couple of weeks in good weather or immediately after the weekend in bad weather, all my mags get disassembled and the metal parts go through the ultrasonic cleaner. Is it necessary? Maybe not, but I like the dry lube bath on the bodies and springs.

I take care of all of my equipment and it takes care of me. No malfuctions.

I've only got 7 mags at the time, so i dont have the luxury of pocketing the dirty ones until later. :unsure:

Im gonna time myself tomorrow with the other mags I have left to clean. maybe Im making more of this than necessary.

With the Tripp mags I just pop the basepad off and the follower and spring come right out. Send a brush through it and wipe down follower and spring. A6 match this weekend, mags where hitting clay/dirt and sticking. I had to clean them several times. Not worth a rock in the mag ruining a stage.

I've only got 7 mags at the time, so i dont have the luxury of pocketing the dirty ones until later. :unsure:

Im gonna time myself tomorrow with the other mags I have left to clean. maybe Im making more of this than necessary.

Kleanbore makes two types of SS mag brushes - one with nylon bristles and one with a mop material. You can get both at Natchez Shooters Supply. Get one of each and get the proper tool to make disassembly easy. You should have something in your kit already.

1. disassemble mag

2. wipe follower and spring with cloth.

3. run bristle brush through body once, twice if a lot of dirt got inside.

4. run swab through body.

5. reassemble

If I'm not distracted or don't drop anything, I think I could do a Chip PowerMag in a minute or two. Tripps and Wilsons are easier. You can find a time to clean. Maybe not all at once, but in time for your next stage.

edited to correct info.

Edited by Steve J

The base pads on mine pop off really easily but the lips that hold the metal plate wont allow the spring to just pop out. I seem to have to wiggle the each loop of the spring over the lips.

Never, I use primarily wilson 47Ds for the 45 and they don't get cleaned during a match or between matches for that matter. I am not even sure the last time they have been apart. Never had a problem with them.

...and glocks never jam and cars don't need their oil changed. ;)

For those guys that never clean them your, lucky men or skilled where you drop them.

I watched my son rack 4rnds out in the middle of a stage before he noticed a piece of mulch stuck in his mag

said he did not clean them after the last stage.

now if they hit the ground he cleans them.

If I get any dirt in the feed lips that won't wipe out, or if I can feel any grit/resistance when I push the follower down with my finger, they get a full tear down. Depending on the range, this sometimes means cleaning 4-5 out of 7 every 2 or 3 stages.

Wilson 47D's or ETM's take me about 10-15 minutes to clean about 5 mags. Wipe down the outside and the follower, ram a brush through em a few times and bang the dirt off the springs and slap em back together.

The base pads on mine pop off really easily but the lips that hold the metal plate wont allow the spring to just pop out. I seem to have to wiggle the each loop of the spring over the lips.

Yeah, even the Wilsons I use (47NX) require a little wiggling. The basepad on the Tripp mags is easily the best when it comes to fast disassembly/assembly. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I have seven CMC power mags with the base pads

that I can slide off.Only problem is with the

thin metal plate that goes between the mag spring

and the base pad. That can be a PITA to remove/

replace. But most of the ranges I shoot at do have

sand and I do need to clean them!

I use Wilson 47D's. Haven't seen a need to clean them during a match but I do take them apart and clean them before the next match. Only takes a few minutes. Cheap insurance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ah that I were young enough to have focus now that I see the use of it. - Me

Birchwood Casey makes two types of SS mag brushes - one with nylon bristles and one with a mop material. You can get both at www.natchezss.com . Get one of each and get the proper tool to make disassembly easy. You should have something in you kit already.

1. disassemble mag

3. run bristle brush through body once, twice it a lot a dirt got inside.

5. reassemble

If I'm not distracted or don't drop anything, I think I could do a Chip PowerMag in a minute or two. Tripps and Wilsons are easier. You can find a time to clean. Maybe not all at once, but in time for your next stage.

Dont see the brushes on natchezss un birchwood casey under cleaning, are they somewhere else?

Birchwood Casey makes two types of SS mag brushes - one with nylon bristles and one with a mop material. You can get both at www.natchezss.com . Get one of each and get the proper tool to make disassembly easy. You should have something in you kit already.

1. disassemble mag

3. run bristle brush through body once, twice it a lot a dirt got inside.

5. reassemble

Dont see the brushes on natchezss un birchwood casey under cleaning, are they somewhere else?

Oops. Sorry. Kleanbore, not Birchwood Casey. Here is a direct link.

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?brand=KB&mfgSubGroup=4578

Kleenbore Products Mag & Mag Well Cleaning Brushes, Swabbing Mop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KBMAG204 KB MAG/WEL CL BRSH 45/40/38/10M In Stock $3.49

KBMAG206 KB MAG/WEL CL BRSH AR15/M16/AK4 In Stock $4.49

KBMAG202 MAG/WEL BRSH 22/25/380/9MM STAG In Stock $3.49

KBMAG200 MAG/WEL BRSH 22/25/380/9MM STRA In Stock $3.49

KBMAG208 MAG/WEL SWAB 9MM/38/10MM/40/45 In Stock $3.49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello: I use Wilsons in my 45. I wipe them off if they are just a little dirty. If they get sand in there I clean them everytime that happens. It only takes a couple of minutes and usually it is only 2 or 3 mags. The Tripp and Metalform Elite mags are easier to take apart. I use a golf towel and brushes I get from Harbour Freight. A bottle of water may be needed sometimes as well. A can of brake clean if things get real bad. I carry 8-10 mags with me. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

After shooting SC and Area 6, this is a problem I'm well familiar with. I start by knocking the sand out and wiping down the outside. If I can load the mag without it sounding or feeling like its coated with sandpaper, I let it go. If not, I'll take the time to clean it. If time is short, I'll just move that mag to the last position on my belt and hope that I don't need to go to that mag on the next stage.

In a perfect world, under those conditions, I'd clean every mag that hits the ground after every stage. I find that time doesn't usually allow that, and that it's also pretty hard on my thumbs. I love my Tripp Mags, but the bottoms tend to be a little sharp.