Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you have more than one range bag?

Delray

It seems like everytime i head to the range I leave something I need at home. So I decide to buy one really big midway range bag that I am pretty happy with. As it turns out this bag is like a gun safe ... the bigger it gets the more stuff you have to fill it up.

My bag has multiple sets of hearing protectors, multiple eyes, pens, small tools, targets, range finder, binoculars, sand bags, markers, chamber flags, stapler, etc, etc. That leaves very little room for the pistols and ammo. If am shooting .22s I might want to bring a certain set of spare parts, if I shoot 1911 I might want to bring other parts.

I am thinking I might dedicate a bag a to my safety gear, spotting scopes, tripods, tools, etc and then a bag dedicated to whatever I am shooting that day that would include the pistol, magazines, spare parts and ammo. I know a lot of the guys at my range have SUVs with cabinets and safes but that is overkill for me at this point.

What do you guys do to keep organized?

I shoot USPSA. I bought the large midway bag as well. I used to just pull out the stage bag and carry it around at matches with ammo and mags etc. I would leave the big bag in the truck. Then I out grew that.

What works well for me now is the large midway bag (left in the truck)for all my extra stuff such as timer, knee pads, rain gear, extra eyes and ears, extra ammo, cleaning kit and whatever else....

I now use the shooters connection ultra bag which is the smaller version. I carry, gun,eyes and ears, ammo, mags, hat, squib rod(not for me, for the other guy ;) ), brass bag, cleats (tied on) and rig(draped through the carry handles). This results in a pretty managable weight after I gear up with the gun, rig, ammo, mags and cleats.

I keep my chrono and all my practice stuff in a big tote that I only take to the range on non match days.

I have the bag I take to the match with those items I need or think I am going to need. Gun, ammo, hearing/eye protection, brass bag, etc, etc. Then I have the bag I take to the match that I hope I don't need. Tools, parts, gloves, knee pads, etc. Then I have the bag I take to the range for practice with targets, pasters, stapler, timer, etc etc etc. I think I need a large bag on wheels and someone to wheel it. :surprise:

thanks,

George

I have a cart that I've set up to hold a couple long guns, has cubby holes to put things, and my bag gets strapped on too. The only time I don't pull the cart out is at an indoor range, and then I just leave most of it in the truck since it's usually not that far of a walk to the parking lot.

Since different divisions require different equipment, I use a different smallish range bag depending on what I'm shooting. Of course there is a lot of overlapping equipment that I have to remember to retrieve from the "main" bag. So far, its working for me.

I have a "match" bag and a "range" bag. I keep the stuff that I know that I will need in the "match" bag and carry what I use for practice in a separate bag. That way all I have to normally do is make sure that I have enough ammunition and the right firearm when I have a match that weekend.

since i shoot open and limited and the platforms are basically the same(swap out mags and ammo) there is one bag forthat,then i have another for rifle and one morestill for shotgun stuff(lotsa speed loader sticks hehehe) and if my back is bothering me, i have a jogger/stroller to carry it all

Just one...

Sold on it.

Rush 24

Jman you know are posting just so we see your avatar. I like it. I , too have too many bags. I got a new one- a Sportster from Blackhawk I like a lot.

Edited by Jadeslade

I have one main bag (Bagmaster) that is my USPSA pistol bag and range bag. I have other bags for revolvers, 3 gun and .22's. Of course, I still have to remember to get my shooting glasses and electronic muffs out of the main bag. The one thing that is easy for me to forget is my holster, belt and pouches. That all used to be in my range bag until I got a CR Speed belt.

Edited by BillD

I have a bag I use when I'm shooting revolver because it has the right mix of compartments for full, or empty speedloaders, extra ammo in baggies, and the reloading board for my Safariland speedloaders, and holds whatever else I need for revolver. I have a second bag for semi-autos because the accessories are different and this one has magazine holders built in (it was a gimme at a IDPA Nat Champ match) I have a third bag set up to haul to my backyard practice range, and holds stuff I wouldn't haul to a match. I'd rather not carry more weight than I need at a match, or practice, and each bag is tailored for what I want to do at that time. It works for me, as long as I don't have a Senior Moment and grab the wrong bag for the gun I'm shooting. If I can handle that, I've got a compact, lightweight bag that doesn't wear me out during a full match. I see no reason to carry every piece of gear you have when the gun/Division you are shooting doesn't require it. There's nothing wrong with being selective.

Chris Christian

I use the Maxpedition Kodiak Gearslinger. I had the large range bag the other guys use, but the weight was shifted all to one side. I kept way to much stuff in that bag. The gearslinger has many organizing pockets to use and for me, it worked out better. Weight is much easier to tote when it's on your back.

Preston

Just one...

Sold on it.

Rush 24

I looked at the video review for this bag. It does not have any internal dividers right? Do you carry your firearms in it?

Yes I carry a couple bagged Glocks in it. The large interior compartment is lined with zippered pockets. I added the bottle carrier and small utility pouch for brass. Both attach to the bags exterior.

I find that no matter the size of bag the stuff I carry just keeps increasing to the point where I dislike carring the thing. For that reason I don't like the really big bags. Every so often I have to go thru my stuff and decide whether or not I really need each item at a match.

I would love to have a Shooters Connection bag that would carry everything but then I wouldn't be able to carry it. Then there is the need to have magazines or moon clips for the gun of the day. And is it going to be the Open gun with 170 & 140mm mags or the Single Stack/L10 gun or the limited gun or the revo or the Production gun. It was just easier to buy a bunch of Midway bags on sale and dedicate a different bag to each gun, unfortunately I may be the reason the Midway bag is on backorder as the count is at 7 plus a couple of CED bags for Glock 26 & 27 mags (GSSF).

I have a big plastic tub for all of my practice equipment (staple gun, tape, timer, chrono, etc) that stays in the car. I have a range bag setup for each gun/division I shoot (Limited, Open, Single Stack, etc)with all the duplicate and specific equipment in each bag. The bags are of different manufacturer with Dillon bags being the most common. Between my daughter and I we have about 7 bags.

I use the large Midway bag for my general gear: eyes, ears, tools, rule book, brass bag. I have several of the Midway Pistol Bags (like a rug, holds 7 mags, and has 2 big pockets) I have one set up for production, 1 for Limited / Limited 10, 1 for Single Stack, and 1 for Steel Challenge. I just insert witch ever pistol bag into the range bag as I'm heading to the range / match.

I keep my ammo in ammo cans, so I grab whatever caliber I need on my way out. Once at the range, after I gear up, I take the pistol bag out of the range bag and replace it with the ammo can.

I also have a case with range tools ( for set up, or when R.O.'ing a major match). And, I have a large rolling suitcase that has my targets, rests, knee pads, misc large crap that I might need for range practice days.

My name is Erik... I am a crap-a-holic... If I "might" need it, I bring it... Looks like I am going on vacation! :blush:

My first bag was a cheap knock-off of the Green Mountain range bag. It was a great bag...but after several years of use, it fell apart and I threw out all but the removable inner bag, which I still use for matches.

I've got a Waller and Son original bag (anyone know what happened to them? Their web site has changed, making it look like they're totally out of the gun bags business). What I used most now is an i-Shot mini deluxe. Either something's wrong with their web site, or that bag is discontinued.

The trouble with a really big bag (like the Green Mountain) is that you'll be tempted to load it with too much stuff. I broke the shoulder strap on mine (the cheap knock-off) which the retailer replaced. After that, I stopped keeping any ammo in the bag and instead carried ammo in mil-surp ammo cans.