Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo 1000 discontinued?

lll Otto lll

Read about it on Handloads.com and TheHighRoad.

In addition, Grafs, PV and Widener's are OOS.

Another thing is that Western completely changed the formulation of Nitro 100 and now labels it "Do not use in Handgun loads".

Seems they moved the manufacturing from Czech Republic to St.Marks and changed the powder from flake to ball...strange.

Can't confirm the Solo rumor but I can't dispel it either, that's why I'm asking.

Funny thing is, I was on the phone with their ballistics guy this week but hadn't heard the rumor yet.

Edited by lll Otto lll

As far as I can figure Solo 1000 was a flake powder similar in burnrate to Clays more suited to Shotguns than handguns. What information I can get from powder suppliers here and in the US goes as follows - When Accurate bought their version out is was made by the same people that originally made Scot (Scot 1000) powders in Europe and therefore it did come from Czech republic, formerly Czechoslovakia. Rumours have been flowing about that there were problems with shipping from Europe (ask anyone looking for Vihtavouri) and they MAY be changing. The truth will never out.

IF they change or have changed to St Marks then it will be ball powders as that is all they make there, that powder plant is now mostly owned by General Dynamics after Olin Corp (they hold the rights to Winchester branded ammo and components) sold off it's shareholding.

Not to be confused with Nitro 100 which is supoosed to be a similar burn rate to the old Hodgdon Trap 100, that was originally made by St Marks, but I have not seen any of that since Adam was in three cornered trousers (real nappies for the uneducated).

Hopefully those that like the powder will be able to keep buying it. But with all the changes in owners and shipping hassles be preparred for anything and have two backup plans.

I just ordered 15 lbs from Midway. They still have it in a variety of sizes so there is no panic yet. I've found Solo to be the best for my handguns and somem of my midrange loads for my 303 and a few other old rifles.

My new 8lb jug of Solo 1000 is 70fps slower than my last batch, so its pretty useless untill I can work up some new loads, but they'll be way over what anyone else is running and what is published. I ordered it from Midway when everyone else was out and it shipped pretty quick, but I didnt check where it came from. The threads discussing the FPS variation are around here somewhere.

RUMOR DEBUNKED.

1250 is gone. 1000 lives on. Been made in the same place since 2004. It's only tested for shotgun when they test each new lot. So it varies a little more batch to batch as a result.

Edit: For the record. I called Western Powders to get this info. I asked them about why my new lot was soo SLOOOWWW

Edited by 98sr20ve

I also called Western and it HAS NOT been discontinued. Solo is still being imported from Spain (UEE Cartuchería Deportiva, S.A).

Before that it was made in Scotland and before that Czech Republic.

Here's their website but it's down http://www.ueec.es

UEE also imports ammunition under the RIO name http://www.rioammo.com/components_powders.htm

For the record. I called Western Powders to get this info. I asked them about why my new lot was soo SLOOOWWW

And their answer was?

A.T.

It's a shot gun powder and the lots are tested in a shotgun not a pistol.

It's a shot gun powder and the lots are tested in a shotgun not a pistol.

Thanks for the info Steve. Solo 1000 is the only powder I use. It works great IMHO for 9MM and .45.

YMMV,

A.T.

Glad to hear it's not being discontinued & thanks for the information on testing lot to lot.

IMHO, you should test 'any' powder when the lot # changes. Back in December of '09 I purchased 16 lbs. of Solo 1000. I'm still in my first 8 lb. jug. When I open the other 8 lb. jug, I'll order 16 lbs. more. When I get to the two new jugs, I will reduce my charge 10% and chrono a few.

Life is Good,

A.T.

Solo has not been discontinued, Rio just purchased all of it from Accurate and it takes 60 plus days to get more across the waters. After talking to Rio for a while they said it was about 30 days ago when they cleaned Accurate Arms out so we just have to wait for the ship to arrive with more.

Interesting, Rio set up a small shotshell production facility here in the US (Tennessee) about two years ago. Much faster (and somewhat less expensive over the long term) to load the top selling SKU's here than ship them from Spain.

Edited by Middle Man

I am pleased to hear this.

I had been trying to promote this powder since 2004 or 2005 after it became difficult to buy VVN310 & N320 (and I later lost my dealer-pricing on VV) AND because I noticed that Solo 1000 is a fast, SINGLE-BASE powder (like N310/N320) for which there is handgun data.

My hope was that if enough people bought Solo 1000, it would never be discontinued.

Fate, being what it is, intervened & now I rarely shoot; haven't even set up the reloading in the new house. Maybe when my kids are old enough to start shooting, Solo will still be around!