Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some prayers for my mom.

eerw

Just got a call from my brother in California..

My mom is in the ER, being stablized and then being moved up to ICU.

Word is docs are thinking she suffered a heart attack. Her heart rate is low, she is on a pacemaker now and is on morphine for the pain. He says she is coming in and out, not speaking.

Trying to make plans.

Just need some prayers. Thanks.

Edited by eerw

Thanks all..really appreciate the prayers.

fury of phone calls tonight from my brothers that are out there.

She was moved up to the Coronary Care Unit. She is on a pacemaker and dopamine to get her heart rate and blood pressure up. Cardiologist will see her tonight/early this morning.

Kind feel like I don't know what to do, so I am just sitting here pacing around the house.

Thanks again for the prayers

Edited by eerw

OK...1 a.m. latest update.

Cardiologist with info from the last test does not think it was a heart attack (good )

doesn't know what the cause of the dropping heart rate and blood pressure is (bad).

Look at possibility of it being medication. so plan is to flush meds from her body and see where the heart rate and blood pressure go.

It's wait and see. but at least immediate crisis is past.

Thank you everyone for the thoughts and prayers. Thank you for a place to come talk it all out.

Kind feel like I don't know what to do, so I am just sitting here pacing around the house.

That is always the hardest part. That's also why prayers are sent for you as well as your mom. :)

10a.m. update.

pacemaker is set at 60, and her heart rate is running about 65.

blood pressure is up too.

so the dopamine is being reduced.

Cardiologist will run some more tests.

Thanks all for listening to me ramble.

Edited by eerw

Stuart,

first -- prayers sent.

Second -- heart rate higher than pacemaker = good; heart rate lower than pacemaker setting = bad.....

The pacemaker is basically set to step in when the heart rate drops below a certain number, in this case 60 beats per minute, to get the heart back up to at least that number of beats....

Good luck!

OK..noon update.

talk me through this.

off the pacemaker, heart rate dropped too low, Docs re-established the pacemaker and now she is scheduled for surgery to install a permanent one.

is this a pretty straight-forward procedure? risks?

thanks

OK..noon update.

talk me through this.

off the pacemaker, heart rate dropped too low, Docs re-established the pacemaker and now she is scheduled for surgery to install a permanent one.

is this a pretty straight-forward procedure? risks?

thanks

There are lots of pacemakers installed every year -- and have been for a long time. I'm thinking they've figured that out pretty well.....

There'll be monitoring involved -- some of which can be accomplished over the phone, there may be some medication adjustments needed, and in ~ 10 years or so there may need to be a new battery/pacemaker installed -- hence the occasional monitoring....

My 6th grade teacher collapsed in cardiac arrest in 1977, was revived by the newly licensed paramedics in town, had a pacemaker inserted and was back teaching before the school year ended. IIRC, he lived until the late 90s/early 00s --- and he started with a worse presentation, major heart attack.....

Some quick info Here

Looks pretty straightforward, its not open heart surgery, it indicates a recovery time of about a week.

Thanks...appreciate the information.

I know that it's supposed to be pretty straightforward and things are pretty high speed these days. but I appreciate the reassurance.

Some quick info Here

Looks pretty straightforward, its not open heart surgery, it indicates a recovery time of about a week.

Thanks...appreciate the information.

I know that it's supposed to be pretty straightforward and things are pretty high speed these days. but I appreciate the reassurance.

I think we all sweat bullets when our loved ones are undergoing inpatient treatment....

Try to take care of yourself too....