Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Todays Kids Are Weak

I am the father of three girls, aged 10, 7 (8 in May) and 3. They have physical education once a week at their elementary school. I watch them as they have had the luck of having the late class at the end of the day. (This is just the two older ones, seperate classes, so I see one of their classes twice a week.) Recently they have been playing kickball. I am amazed at the lack of phyisical abilities of the average kid these days. Not quite shocked but troubled,

Kickball is the easiest sport and arguably one of the most fun for kids ages 5-10. K-5th grade, I'm telling you whenI was a kid we'd hike four blocks to the school on weekends and get a game going. ('Cause some of the migrant kids didn't have mits, balls and bats so we played this when we wanted to get a big group together.) We would knock on doors of every kid we knew in town. By 9 or 10 we'd have about 16 kids out there and we'd play until enough of us got called home, or too hot and decided to go swimming somewhere. So we played this game and most of us were at least passable kickers , runners, feild players to make it possible to pick two decent teams.

Now, fast forward to todays kids who are not allowed to venture far from home unsupervised. They are out on the feild palying kickball and few can kick the ball on a roll. Some can, but many can't really. Many wre unable to accurately throw the ball as a feilder,and some had trouble running from base to base. I was kinda suprised at this and talked with their grizzled and weatherbeaten coach. She played sports all through her years in school, and was a club v-ball player too. We're talking to a seasoned athelte in her mid to late 50s, who still runs several 10ks a year. She says that in the last ten years, the ability of the kids with basic phyisical sports-like abilities has dwindled a bit. The amount of time your kids spend playing outside has dropped quite a bit.

I coach soccer, and I can attest to this too. I am amazed at how few kids have the coordination that is really exercised by physical activity. They just have changed quite a bit. (I've asked coaches that have more years than me about this alot now.) I thought maybe it was just me. I helped coach my little brother who is ten years my junior when I was a kid, and was his asst. coach for his teams. The little boys and girls at that age then seemed a bit better.(6-7 played co-ed) So that was the level I was expecting to see when I started coaching my daughters teams last year. Nope. And it was a wake-up call.

Get your kids outside away from that computer. Find something and get them into it. They need to get out and play as often as possible. Otherwise we are building a coutry of lard buckets who will know nothing of sprotsmanship, and teamwork. not to mention basic coordination.

Okay, rant mode off.

JZ :wacko:

when i was a kid ( not terribly long ago) i LOVED going outside, playing kickball, running around on the playground, whatever! I will also agree, the level of physical ability in today's youth is lacking from my generation significantly. I sometimes go back to the old babseball diamonds where i grew up playing to watch some little league action (usually for my g/fs' nephew) and the over all skill level is so low its not even funny. i can remember some of the guys I played with and the skill levels are so far apart its rediculous.

i thnk its bc parents (some, not all) these days dont put as much effort into practice with their kids as they used to years ago.

Yeah-you are on to something. My girls are a couple years older, but I've seen the same thing. Part of it is school boards de-emphasizing gym class and worrying too much about "legal problems" arising from injuries. Also the rise of "gated communities" and similar living areas has really diminished open spaces where kids can play. I don't have solution, but I had to literally drive 3-4 times a day on the weekends and a couple of times during the week to get my kids some sporting activities - I don't mean just the soccer stuff, but just swimming, running, riding-just so I could feel that they were at least getting a taste of things to do. They have settled on gymnastics and dancing, along with biking and swimming now, but it's a do it yourself family project-there is no sense of sports activity in town. Forget school-they have made that like a mini-lockdown. More freedom would be good. Oh yeah- I take them to the range every so often-my oldest likes the AK smile.gif

When I was at school there was about 3 hours of Physical Activity per week. During the summer vacations, every kid was outside playing all day long. I never had much talent at sports but every one of that generation was fit.

What you are seeing now, is the results of the 'PlayStation Generation'.

When I was at school there was about 3 hours of Physical Activity per week. During the summer vacations, every kid was outside playing all day long. I never had much talent at sports but every one of that generation was fit.

How about "Generation X-Box" ?

thats not helping either...

I feel the sudden urge to go pay kickball now :)

thats not helping either...

I feel the sudden urge to go pay kickball now :)

This reminds me of how when I was in my early 20s and living with my GF, (A former all-american high school sports chick.) we would get our friends and some beer and some carpet samples for bases and have a game in the canyons. It was a hoot!

Yeah, Generation X-Box. That si very fitting.

Edited by JimmyZip

I was just talking to a buddy of mine at work about the diminishing toughness (physical and mental) that seems to occur from generation to generation. My dad was a short man but

tougher than nails. One of those wirey-strong guys who was always doing something physical. Grew up an orphan, was an infantryman for three years through North Africa and Italy, struggled through Parkinsons

until it took his life and not once complained about a single thing in his life. This seemed to be the general rule of that generation.

Me, I grew up playing sports both pickup games and formally in high school and college. I was a gym rat for years but as I have rolled into my mid 50s I find it harder and harder

to drag my ass into the gym or to go out for the hard runs. I whine episodically about the things diabetes takes away from me. So definitely am a notch down from my dad. Again, typical of my generation I think.

My daughter, and I love her dearly, is and has always been physically inactive no matter how much I have cajoled her into different sports, hiking, etc. (We've lived apart since she was 5). She was working up in Zion national

park for 7 months. When we went up to visit her and go hiking she and her boyfriend had not been on a single hike. Not one, and that really is all there is to do there. She and her boyfriend are horribly, horribly

out of shape and really don't even seem to care. Odd. They seem happy to live largely in cyber-world. She also is much less mentally tough and far too willing to assume the victim role. I fear this also is typical for her generation.

I think there is a good argument that prosperity beyond a certain point is more of a curse than a blessing. (I mean of course prosperity beyond the point of me being able to afford reloading supplies :P )

edited for lousy spelling

Edited by Neomet

"…we have not spent the last 65 million or so years finely honing our physiology to watch Oprah. Like it or not, we are the product of a very long process of adaptation to a harsh physical existence, and the past couple centuries of comparative ease and plenty are not enough time to change our genome. We humans are at our best when our existence mirrors, or at least simulates, the one we are still genetically adapted to live. And that is the purpose of exercise."

-Mark Rippetoe

When we were kids we played ourselves nearly to death each day and a lot of it involved physicality. We skated, rode bikes, climbed trees, played ball, used all the play equipment at the park, and hiked frequently into the hills (and collected buckets of lizards, usually). NONE of us were overweight or sluggish. Ever. It was amazing. We made UP things to do all the time and never thought twice about just "sitting around." :rolleyes:

I almost worry more about the MENTAL capabilities of some kids nowadays, though--even though their physical selves are deteriorating as well. Some 'kids' out there (young adults) can't even make simple conversation! Now, I saw a family of at least five this morning at a Goodwill store (I was buying books for the Jail library), and ALL the kids were bloated, overweight, dumb-faced mouth-breathers. God. Is this our local future...? :surprise:

(In Goodwill's defense, not THAT many of the customers seen at this particular North Eugene store are that decrepit. You'd be surprised at who all shops at our really nice local thrift stores!)

I almost worry more about the MENTAL capabilities of some kids nowadays, though--even though their physical selves are deteriorating as well. Some 'kids' out there (young adults) can't even make simple conversation! .......... [snip]

Sorry Siggy ... but that line made me think of that beauty pageant girl from South Carolina .......... the one who thought that "some people out there in our nation don't have maps".

:roflol: :roflol:

This is an extremely interesting topic to me. When I was growing up, I was one of the "fat kids"- as well as being one of the overall biggest kids in school from kindergarten on. Even as a "fat kid" I played sports every day, took gym class every day, rode my bike every day and was able to keep up with everyone else. We left for school in the morning and didn't come home until dark or later- no big deal. I lived out in the country with my Grandma during the summers, where I swam and tooled around in my rowboat every day- unsupervised I might add. When I wasn't doing that, I had a gun in my hands out in the woods hiking and shooting whatever struck my fancy (cans, sticks, you name it).

When I was 14 I got a job painting docks and working at a marina. Work was 3 miles away and I had to walk or ride my bike unless I wanted to go in when Grandma left for work (2 hrs earlier than I had to start). Through High School I always worked at least a part time job (sometimes working the graveyard shift on Friday and Saturday nights). It was my responsibility to make it to work on time and do my job. If I screwed up, I heard about it from my boss and then from my folks.

I will say that there are exceptions to this, but they are kids that were raised the same way that their folks were raised. The really sad part is that many of these parents are looked on as being bad parents by their peers- because they are "too hard" on their kids. The peer pressure among parents is causing weak children. :(

This is having an impact on the military too. You would be amazed how many 18 to 20 year olds are so physically weak and/or obese that they cannt pass the basic entrance exam. Entry level military training's goal is to get them into decent shape such that they can be assigned to a unit that then has to continue to develop their physical fitness.

"..... but that line made me think of that beauty pageant girl from South Carolina .......... the one who thought that "some people out there in our nation don't have maps".."

...Let alone a clue...!

(Yes I remember that gibberish she spewed at the time. God Almighty, I couldn't freakin' believe they even aired that embarrassing stream of, well, cluelessness!!) <_<

Its not just public education that de-emphasizes phys ed, my daughter was one of only 2 kids that got the Presidential Physical Fitness Award at her private school last year when she was 13. Now in public high school (she skipped 6th grade) she is one of very few kids that can run a 7 minute mile, most don't even make the 4 laps.

I think I witnessed the downward-turning point for life as we knew it --- the advent and easy access to Air Conditioning.

If someone had beamed down a bunch of bad-ass video games to us back then, no one I knew would have stayed inside to play them. It was too damn hot!! Yeah, we walked and rode bicycles all over creation, and sweated our butts off in the process, but it was still more fun than being inside.

It's introduction is also when people quit sitting on porches after dinner, or taking walks to cool off. We gained a lot, but lost some, too.

Siggy, the term you are looking for is Verbal Diarrhoea. Closely related to the other meaning of VD.

We have a new guy at work, he "works out" three time a week and is 22, I am 46, don't work out, am somewhat overweight, and can lift twice what he can, for longer and get more done in the same time. He drives me insane. The boss keeps saying I need to cut back on that kind of work. If I did it would never get done. Everything just seems to take so long to do with him and he disappears all the time. The guy is David Copperfield.

He can't spell, can't add, but is great with customers. So fecking what.

We have a new guy at work, he "works out" three time a week and is 22, I am 46, don't work out, am somewhat overweight, and can lift twice what he can, for longer and get more done in the same time. He drives me insane. The boss keeps saying I need to cut back on that kind of work. If I did it would never get done. Everything just seems to take so long to do with him and he disappears all the time. The guy is David Copperfield.

He probably spends all his time doing crunches and looking in the mirror lol.

Another quote from Rip,

"Strong people are harder to kill, and more useful in general"

:cheers:

In our school, kids who are involved with physical activity are bigger, faster, and stronger than ever before. The most popular class in school is weight training, with multiple sections filling to capacity every semester. The class is evenly split between boys and girls. We have a lot of kids that easily squat 2 1/2 times their weight and more.

Funny thing, take those guys snowmobiling at high altitude, then stick a 500 pound sled to the handle bars and they play out way too soon getting it unstuck. Youth and strength doesn't necessarily equate to endurance and toughness.

Damn straight, when I was three back in 1991, we had to blow on our games to get them to work! Lazy kids these days...

Edited by DyNo!

I have an XBox, I play video games. I think it's funny how lots of things get blamed on video games. Video games have actually been proven to boost eye to hand coordination and I even read a story about athletes that played video games performed better. Quit blaming everything on the video game industry. It's not the real problem...

I was a fat kid in Highschool, I was one of those kids that had trouble passing the basic Militay PT test that Ranger talks about. When I got to AIT I had trouble there to. Then I got orders to Germany. When I looked around I saw all my leadership, the people I was supposed to look up to, the people who were supposed to be my examples, were indeed fat bodies. They were lazy. I hated them. I realized if I went to Germany I might end up the same way. Why did I join the Army? I wanted better for myself. I'd been debating on volunteering for Airborne Ranger training but I was hesitant because I didn't think I'd be able to do it. Hell, I had trouble in basic right? But when I looked around I knew that I didn't want to be the way my leaders were, so I told myself I would try my damnest even if it killed me. 3 weeks later I was in jump school. When I graduated jump I spent three months in a holdover program trying to make it into the Ranger Indocrnation Program. I busted my ass the whole time, and never quit trying. I was made fun of, called a peice of shit, everything. But one day I made the grade, and made it into the training.

When I was in the training it was the hardest thing I have ever put myself through. I struggled, but kept pushing. I just told myself I wouldn't be the last guy and I wouldn't quit, no matter what, until my body just gave out. I ran he whole 12 mile ruck (i've never been able to keep out of the slinky of a non-release ruck march). I made the cut...and succedded where others failed. 8 of of us left AIT together, two of us made it. I earned my scroll, my tan beret. I earned the title Ranger. I made it where others didn't and I get EXTREME satifaction out of when everyone who said I couldn't, who said I would fail, has to eat their words when my big chested Ranger boots wearin' @$$ walks in the door.

That rant was a bit off topic, but it's important because I believe the problem here is drive. I didn't have any. Becoming a Ranger gave me the personal drive I needed to be successful. People are fat because there is no drive anymore. Kids are taught that they are enititled. Everyone makes the team....everyone gets to play. Not the people who work the hardest. Hell, when I was in highschool I didn't make it on to the freakin' golf team. THE GOLF TEAM.

It's okay to be fat nowadays. "Your perfect the way you are...blah....blah....blah." Becoming fit develops drive....drive develops the will to succeed...and success (and even failures in the attempt to succeed) develops confidence. There is no confidence anymore and I think it's sad. When I was a kid I was never taught to be strong, to be confident. I think that is where the problem really lies. We need to teach drive and the want to be better, both for ourselves and others. Without it, this country will even more become what it is already on the path to....a country full of fat, "i'm entitled", puss's.

Just my .02 cents.