Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swinging plate rack - Polish Plate Rack

sbo76

Ya the PPR is just a phsych out. The trick is to shoot it real fast and dont miss or it will get away from you !! :P

The real devil target is North Salt Lake's Winger, see at bottom of first page. Farley has some evil target ideas, it's essentially a swinger on a swinger that does anything it wants .. your trying to shoot one of those rear window bobble heads..

Who the hell is sixinch ?? :huh:

HELLO PPRES. For the right amount of graft, I can introduce you to him, I think it is fair to say he was probably the very first to shoot the Polish Plate Rack. See you on Saturday if you are shooting SLPSA.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They work great, 9mm etc.. Being from the home club of the PPR we have shot them extensivly and the only problems I have seen have been with the improper set up, or reset of the thing. When resetting people forget to take the lock pin out or they fail to balance it correctly and it goes off by itself, otherwise it works. I have not seen any calibration issues with them yet. It can be calibrated by locking the bar horizontily with the intergrated lock which turns it into a two story platerack..

Improper reset by our squad resulted in the RO's taking over the weight calibration & lock pin removal. I thought it was a great idea to give someone else the responsibility. However not looking forward to a partially visible PPR especially shooting a Revo.

Shot the PPR last Saturday in Idaho Falls with the lower plates partially obscured, the course designer gave you the option of shooting a pepper popper which started the rack to rotate or advance and shoot it stationary requiring you to either back up to shoot the popper or opt for a miss on steel. And yes I shoot a revolver just not very well. As Farley likes to say "his targets take you out of your comfort zone"

Edited by 357454

• 2 weeks later...

Today was first day of Area 1 (mostly RO', staff and Vip's) The Polish plate rate is awesome because Farley and Egan designed a course that gives you 3 different options, no spin with retreat, closest to targe with full spin, or hybrid with shooting top steady, bottom moving after hitting activator. Poor genius!

Mr. and Mrs. Farley had already mounted the Original Trademarked *thumb rest [generic]* which were gifts to all Area one Open Shooters. They both said they shot if a lot faster than before and when they got to the paper their groups were much better.

So I retract all previous negative comments I made about the Polish Plate Rack. It's awesome. Farley exlained my listening to all the complaints at the previous 2009 Area One match and range failures were due to incorrect setup which was fixed. I was in one of the few sqauds where the prop was set up incorrectly and after some shop work, worked as intended. But by that time we were backed up 2 hous on next steel stage, so all I hear for two hours were complaints. I think its one of those odd ball situations that likely wont cause grief again and was an anomoly. So I got a biased view from other shooters then. But this is now and the Polish Plate Rack is greatwhen set up properly as designed by the manufacturer.

Farley is great guy, and I am a convert to Polish Plate Rack, and sounds like he is a convert to the real *thumb rest [generic]*. Life is full of wonderful surprises.

Edited by Aloha Robert

Area one update on Polish Plate Rack.

Most of shooters have been thru the Polish Plate Rack and it is simply amazing! I met Farley, the designer and fabricator, and he a super great guy.

They have perfected it and it shoots VERY reliably now. The shooters seem to enjoy the challenge especially since there were about four different ways to shoot it including static with retreat, partial static, a side box to get the top, and full spinning with activator with less movement. Truly brilliant stage design including many variables on the static targets.

My hat is off to Farley and Tim Egan, Great job!

Area one Polish Plate Rack.

four different ways to shoot it including static with retreat, partial static, a side box to get the top, and full spinning with activator with less movement. Truly brilliant stage design including many variables on the static targets.

yeah i only got in the top 20 or something doing static retreat but that was also how i saw TJ and Ron avery shoot the thing and they had some pretty good times

• 3 months later...

I have shot a PPR once. While I enjoyed the challenge, I question its place in a match. I think it unfairly punishes a missed shot and lesser shooters. On paper targets, the consequence of a poor shot is discrete - fewer points or a Miss. On static steel, a missed shot results in a Miss or in taking a little more time to hit it the second (or third) time. But on the PPR, one bad shot could cause a death spiral. The shooter either spends loads of time trying to get the last couple plates or incurs two or more Misses. The consequences of that bad shot or shots gets magnified b/c the challenge becomes increasingly more difficult. Then, the difference b/t the best shooter and the worst on that stage is not reflective of the worst shooter maybe just missing one shot; it becomes an exponential difference.

I have shot a PPR once. While I enjoyed the challenge, I question its place in a match. I think it unfairly punishes a missed shot and lesser shooters. On paper targets, the consequence of a poor shot is discrete - fewer points or a Miss. On static steel, a missed shot results in a Miss or in taking a little more time to hit it the second (or third) time. But on the PPR, one bad shot could cause a death spiral. The shooter either spends loads of time trying to get the last couple plates or incurs two or more Misses. The consequences of that bad shot or shots gets magnified b/c the challenge becomes increasingly more difficult. Then, the difference b/t the best shooter and the worst on that stage is not reflective of the worst shooter maybe just missing one shot; it becomes an exponential difference.

You bring up valid points. (and I am not a fan of the counter argument of "it's the same for everybody").

But, one could also say that it is a very practical challenge. We still have some practical roots left in our game, and what is more practical than being a big winner if you succeed in making your big shots?

Also, without a match...there probably isn't a desire to make a target array like this. So, the match gives us an opportunity to experience a shooting challenge, like this, that may be hugely beneficial to us in the big picture of things.

But, you are right, one must be careful to not beat up the lower classed shooters. I think the gun factor goes a long way to elevating that concern with a prop like this.

I had one until last weekend...They are alot of fun to shoot and present a big challenge. But it is more of a mental target more than anything.

But, since I do not have one any more, there are always bigger and better ideas on the horizon... :devil:

I had one until last weekend...They are alot of fun to shoot and present a big challenge. But it is more of a mental target more than anything.

But, since I do not have one any more, there are always bigger and better ideas on the horizon... :devil:

I agree with you regarding the mental part. We've had a fair amount of shooters who were worried about shooting it. After a couple of tries they realize it isn't that hard if you keep your wits about you and don't freak out.

Make it a little more challenging and put a few no shoots in front of it. Then it can get weird.:devil:

Pat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just shot one of these for the first time this weekend. It would have been a lot more fun if it hadn't been partially obscured by three stacks of barrels! :blink: There were places along the front fault line of the shooting area where you could see every plate in any position, but unless you cleaned it off quickly, it looked more like line dancing! :roflol:

I want to add this one.. We found out that if shooters have very open chokes (ie mossy's with cylinder bore) I can honestly say that they cannot effectively knock plates off of it with the standard 3 dram - 1 1/8 oz 7.5 loads at 15 yards.. in fact a few ppl had trouble shooting 1 1/4 oz #4 lead with their open chokes.. #4 buck was very effective on taking the plates off it though.. I was able to clean the rack using 7.5's with an improved cylinder.. Modified or Full would likely be effective at longer distances but I have yet to test max range with those chokes as yet with the standard 7.5 target loads from wally world.. In due time :)

Edited by sargenv

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just shot the PPR last weekend for the very first time, production gun with two mag changes :sick: but it was still a blast. The video above looked way too familiar and I swear there was a voice in my head yelling "MORE BULLETS" too!

Most effective method seemed to be 2, 3, 4 the 1 on the top row and then clean the bottom 1, 2, 3, 4. Let one of the weights fall off and Katy bar the door!

Nice addition to a match unless you're a revo guy.