Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swinging plate rack - Polish Plate Rack

sbo76

At Tuesday night Steel (Rio Salado az) they had a swinging plate rack? (4 plates up 4 down) Has anyone seen one of these before? I was fortunate enough to make my hits, but i saw a lot of people who had a hard time. (they put a texas star on the next stage hidden by 2 barrels so you could only shoot at one side just to make it fun) I asked a few seasoned shoots about the rack. No one had ever seen one before?

I talked with a GM on an approach to shoot it. He told me to start from the downward canted side (in our case left to right) and take the bottom targets from the right to left. It seemed to work, but the rack went vertical on me, so I went from left to right to vertical top to bottom.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot one a few times. Once you learn the trick it is pretty straight forward.

I don't know if I just got lucky, but shooting the away from the cant seemed to work. Once the end weight falls off that bad Billy is going vertical, so just be ready to go from L/R to Top/Bottom. This was a cool stage though!!

I shot the one at Area 1 last year slow but sure: kept it balanced by alternating left/right from the inside out. The end plates went last. Spun like a propeller when I was finished but didn't move at all while I was shooting. I even had a miss in there. Much easier than a Texas Star.

Bingo! The PPR is much more about psyching you out than it is about being too difficult. Unless of course you use one of the funky looking guns with a cylinder :D

Edited by smokshwn

You do not have to shoot it fast. Shoot inside then outside, top or bottom. The key is to keep it balanced as much as possible. I think I heard there is a YouTube on it. I have seen C class shooters clear with very little movement and M class swing it. Again, Learn the trick.

Bingo! The PPR is much more about psyching you out than it is about being too difficult. Unless of course you use one of the funky looking guns with a cylinder :D

Careful there Buckwheat! :sight: It's harder to miss with a wheelgun.... :ph34r:

Edited by sixinch

Darn, I knew I should have gone out last night! Its called a Polish plate rack. There is some vid of one around here someplace. They are promising one out at HDC in New Mexico this year.

Yup, everybody will get to shoot a PPR at this years High Desert Classic. Fun times await! :cheers:

CYa,

Pat

• 2 months later...

Ya the PPR is just a phsych out. The trick is to shoot it real fast and dont miss or it will get away from you !! :P

The real devil target is North Salt Lake's Winger, see at bottom of first page. Farley has some evil target ideas, it's essentially a swinger on a swinger that does anything it wants .. your trying to shoot one of those rear window bobble heads..

Who the hell is sixinch ?? :huh:

Edited by P.Pres

Does anyone know how the plates mount on Farley's PPR? Is it a paddle base and single spring like on MGM's "whirly gig" or double tits and spring loaded lever like the Texas Star?

I have seen them twice at big matches now.

I was very lucky and cleared it acceptably fast so I am not whining about myself but I HATE those kind of props. I saw even excellent shooters have a bad time with them because the sometimes very rapid swing is unpredictable. There is a sliding weight in back that makes it even screwier.

And it depends on where on the plate your bullet hits. And there were quite a few range failures due to that prop that really backed up the squads.

And it does not behave the same with all PF either. I saw excellent center hits on plates from those shooting minor and the plate might or might not come off or worse goes partially askew. And how in the heck do you calibrate them? Or add some wind and you are also screwed.

I think it is a very bad prop because

1) It violates the prinicipal of USPSA that the course should present the same challenge for every shooter. If a prop is unpredicatable, is it the same challenge for every shooter?

2) You can have a great match and get totally reamed by a bad behavior (thru no predictable fault of your own) by one prop.

3) There are plenty of other ways to test accuracy or moving targets.

Now I see folks are putting hard cover in front of part of rotation making it even worse.

To me it's just one of those "gotcha" props that dont belong in USPSA.

Actually I'm surprised they are even considered legal as rules (4.3.4) says metal targets must be as described in Appendix B5 and those in B5 are nothing like the attachments on Texas Stars or Polish Plate racks