Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 3gun shotgun

Corey

Im not sure which area to put this is, but Mods feel free to move if necessary.

Before I begin... I KNOW this isnt an optimal 3gun shotgun, or hell prolly not even a good one for that matter.

Here is the only shotgun I own at my house currently:

P1030246.jpg

Stock 870 with pistol grip stock. It is actually a home defense gun loaded with 00 buckshot at the moment. Should I even consider using this little guy for an intro to 3gun shotgun or would I be wasting my time with it?

I do have a couple other options if I went to borrow one from my dad's house (both pumps, 1 12 ga mossberg and 20ga- both limited to 5 rnds max if i take my duck plug out, they are hunting shotguns). I also may be able to borrow my boss's 3gun shotgun, but im not sure what he has done to it, I dont think its much.

Shoot what I got or start the begging to borrow a gun from somebody?

My first couple of matches were with an 870. Use it at several matches and take a look at the equipment others are using. I have seen several people who could keep up with *most* semi-auto shooters using their pumps. The big advantage as I see it to a semi auto are softer recoil, and quicker sight recovery...

The most valuable thing you can do is learn to reload quickly / efficiently.

+1 to whatever these guys above me said.

If that is a Knoxx recoil reduction stock it technicaly isn't allowed but until you win you probably won't get asked about it. When you get to your first match make sure you take the time to handle and shoot as many guns as you can. It will save you money in the long run.

Welcome to the fun! :cheers:

Edited by jtischauser

its actually the non recoil reducing one, just the pistol grip and adjustable stock. Think itll be ok? I have the factory stock i could put back on, but I like this one :)

Shoot your 870. Practice reloading it efficiently, that is where you will gain ground on other folks. You are only handicapped by your equipment if you think that you are.

Hurley

Absolutely agree with what everyone else says. Go shoot and have fun. What I would like to add is, at the matches, you will see SGs that are better for the game than the one that you have. Don't get in a big hurry to go buy one. Shoot a bunch of local matches with your gun. Look at what is out there. Ask questions, maybe borrow one or two to try out. All of the popular models have good things and bad things about them, but they all will work pretty good if you know their strengths and weaknesses. When you have gathered a lot of information about which shotgun is best for YOU, then make your purchase. You will be much happier in the long run. Welcome to the most fun you can have.

Screw needing a nice shotgun to get started. I started off with the most beat up, nastiest 1100 in the state. After a while I bought a new shotgun and recently bought another new one. I finally found just what I want. Learn to run a pump really well and the semi autos will feel like cheating.

its actually the non recoil reducing one, just the pistol grip and adjustable stock. Think itll be ok? I have the factory stock i could put back on, but I like this one :)

that will be just fine. the rules are only worried about you not reducing that pesky recoil.

+1 on most comments above!

I run an 870 currently and have gone through what everyone else has suggested. I have had guys at matches let me run their autos and now I know which one I am going to buy. My only suggestion would be to get yourself a mag extension now. Get the gun to where it will hold 7 +1 or 8 +1 now so you are accustomed to loading the the standard 8 most autos run in their tube. You can also do small mods like polishing the loading port, install a fiber optic front sight, etc.

Have fun!

Kyle

Edited by DocMcG

the gun will currently hold 7+1 as it sits. i guess ill give it a run or two and take a peak at everyone's guns while im there. Im more interested in pistol than 3gun, but it looks like fun, i have a buddy that wants to do it and the guys from work want to me shoot a it as well. gonna give it a whirl with what I got and go from there!

the gun will currently hold 7+1 as it sits. i guess ill give it a run or two and take a peak at everyone's guns while im there.

Im more interested in pistol than 3gun, but it looks like fun,

i have a buddy that wants to do it and the guys from work want to me shoot a it as well. gonna give it a whirl with what I got and go from there!

My advice is to not start 3 gunning thinking that this will be a passing thing and pistol alone will hold your interest.

Once you experience the "menage trois" that is 3 gunning you may never be the same!

Run the dog snot out of your 870 and see how you fair after a season.

You may find that Heavy Metal is your home.

Good luck, join in!

Patrick

I started with a Mossy 500. Not the Cool guy gun, but I sure had fun! I dont think I lost any of the mathes I shot because of the 500. It was because of everybody else shot better and reloaded better than me. Shoot the 870 and enjoy. I also have an old 870 i get out from time to time. I have a blast with it.

Your advantage is that you can practice with walmart ammo saving your shoulder and money for the real fun. If you have the 308 and 45 then go for the heavy metal. Most local matches only have a few in the class so you could end up finishing in the top 5 in the division! More 3 gunners = more fun. Go out and shoot one.

Shoot your 870! I shoot my "Blue Rhino" for both heavy metal and Tac Iron classes. I don't give up much to the auto loaders, you still have to deal with recoil and it won't jam except if you short stroke it. As a great friend refers to the 870 "its Gods gun". Nuff said, ya have all you need. :cheers:

Hey that is a fancy nice pump, collapsing stock, pistol grip etc. I did my first 3-Gun with a model 97 Winchester Pump that belonged to an ancestor Texas Ranger. So shoot your 870 it has the advantage of being lite weight compared to the autos.

I switched to an FN SLP MK II, not because the model 97 was not up to the challenge, it was this weak body that could not take the pounding!

In a USPSA shot gun stage with 32 rounds its more about the reloading than the shooting. In a short course of 6 rounds on poppers the weight vs speed of the auto almost balances out. I won the short courses with the model 97 but lost big time reloading one round at a time, now I am up to 3 at a time and thinking Saiga.

Snertly said the 870 would only jam if you short stroke. I will add AND if you fail to push the shell rim past the cut-off when reloading. Now that will stop a 870 COLD! Shoot it & enjoy the sport. Most fun you can have with your clothes on. :roflol:

Corey,

dont know if anyone has mentioned it, but does it have any chokes in it/with it??? they mite be a worthwile investment, out here, biggest shot we run are 7 1/2's...and a texas star at 22 yrs with a cylinder bore gun is an absolute dog to get plates off of....

run the 870, like was said, onlything to add would be an extension to make it 7 or 8 in the gun and some chokes incase you run into a sadist of a course designer that puts poppers and plates out past 20ish yrds...

Im not sure which area to put this is, but Mods feel free to move if necessary.

Before I begin... I KNOW this isnt an optimal 3gun shotgun, or hell prolly not even a good one for that matter.

Here is the only shotgun I own at my house currently:

P1030246.jpg

Stock 870 with pistol grip stock. It is actually a home defense gun loaded with 00 buckshot at the moment. Should I even consider using this little guy for an intro to 3gun shotgun or would I be wasting my time with it?

I do have a couple other options if I went to borrow one from my dad's house (both pumps, 1 12 ga mossberg and 20ga- both limited to 5 rnds max if i take my duck plug out, they are hunting shotguns). I also may be able to borrow my boss's 3gun shotgun, but im not sure what he has done to it, I dont think its much.

Shoot what I got or start the begging to borrow a gun from somebody?

Man that is a very good looking combat shotgun just practice with it.