Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where have some of the top shooters gone?

lugnut

I know there are lots of M/GM that are active (or mods) on this forum. However it seems like several of the top shooters appear to have stopped competing (at least based on www.uspsa.org classifiers/matches). In some cases it seems they they stopped at the top of their game. Based on what I know- some aren't even old. Did they move on to other sports/hobbies? Burned out? I'm just curious. I know this sport can be demanding and all but I can't understand how someone driven so hard to get to that level and no longer compete. Thanks.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are only basing it on classifiers, the pros seldom shoot classifiers or monthly matches, just major matches. Many shoot several different sports. A lot of pros are busy training both in the US and overseas as well. Some have taken real world jobs that are a little more demanding. There has always been a cycle to who is on top, and to who shows up. Who is missing, maybe we need to form a posse and go out looking for them.

Examples?

I feel uncomfortable mentioning names/screen names. But there are lots of great people on this forum, both mods and regular members that offer tremendous help and share their experiences. When someone offers help in a forum, it's not uncommon for me to check their history... kind of a poor mans background check. :unsure: And uspsa.org makes it easy.

In my case the majority of it is a financial issue. The issue being last time I didn't have the capability of doing what I needed to do for that last 5% I needed to be competitive nationally. Next time, I want to be fully prepared to ride it until the wheels fall off.

Now this is just what I've seen and does not apply to all of them but, it does apply to most.

Most of the M/GM's get there because they have a need to dominate in what ever they do. This is not a bad thing, it's just the way they are. If they can't win, they don't play. So for whatever reason job, money, family, they can't practice, don't think they can win anymore or whatever. They will just quit. They don't shoot for the love of the sport but, for the win.

Edited by Still Praying

Now this is just what I've seen and does not apply to all of them but, it does apply to most.

Most of the M/GM's get there because they have a need to dominate in what ever they do. This is not a bad thing, it's just the way they are. If they can't win, they don't play. So for whatever reason job, money, family, they can't practice, don't think they can win anymore or whatever. They will just quit. They don't shoot for the love of the sport but, for the win.

I do have a good friend that is in this bucket for sure. I used to train with him when we could. I harass him all the time for not just coming out and having a good time... but he won't. I shoot for the love of the sport AND the win... but I'm still climbing.

"It's not Pillow Huncher, It's Pillow Muncher."

Keep saying it. Some day someone might believe you.

:roflol:

I'm not one of the big names but I really hate losing. Its what drives me to practice. I wish I had the funds to put more live fire in but I just don't. Did I mention I really hate losing! I don't care if its 30% or 1%. I don't care if its to talent as good as Robbie or some new guy on the block....I just don't like it.

To be at the very top of any sport you need to put in a monumental amount of time, effort and money on a regular basis to keep at that razor sharp skill level. At some point every top level shooter reaches their goals and loses interest and either goes into maintenance mode or calls it quits looking for the next challenge. Or on the other side they can’t reach their goals with all of their effort and or resources and eventually give up deeming the challenge not worth the sacrifice in time, effort, or money.

Lets face it, there are only a very few top shooters that can actually make a decent living by simply shooting. The rest of the guys trying to claw their way to the top need to either throw their every day life to the wayside or have access to unlimited funds to support both their shooting and their every day life. I would venture to say that there are very few shooters, much less top shooters, that have unlimited funds that allow them to focus only on shooting. The rest of the guys basically live out of a travel bag going from one match to the next begging, borrowing, or winning what they need to sustain their shooting life style. This is a rugged existence that I don’t think too many people would be willing to experience much less grind it out for years on end.

This game is not unlike any other game that you put in the effort to master. When you can pickup a puzzle, video game, or whatever and beat it with ease and have done it countless times, how much interest do you really have in it at that point? Not much. The shooting sports are no different. The ebb and flow of life is evident in everything we do.

I think there comes a time in everyones life when the body and/or mind reach a saturation point. Where a desire to be the best there is colides with life. With unlimited funds and/or time most of us would still reach a point where the gain/goal is not worth the pain of getting/staying there. The Olympics is an example, those people have been training 6-8 hours a day for the past 4 years to be a winner and yet how many will have their name remembered next year. The winners maybe if they can repeat every 4 years. I am 69 and have no chance to win a major event so I shoot for the fun but the desire to shoot is still there. People who have reached their goal often lose the spark/need to put forth the time and effort this sport requires to stay at the top.

Lanny Bassham talks about reaching his goal and almost falling apart because he didn't know what he would do next. I believe a lot of our great shooters have reached that point in their lives and have moved on to ventures away from the sport so as not to be tempted to try for that comeback which seldom works.