Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your preferred shooting foot ware, and why?

CHA-LEE

I have size 16 feet and finding shoes can be challenging, especially specialty type shoes/boots. I ended up going with a Belleville 8” insulated Gore-tex combat boot for all my outdoor activities. I put in a custom insole and now they are my most comfortable and least fatiguing footwear Even with the insulation it’s not too hot on warm days and is a lifesaver when it’s rainy and wet. I don’t use them for indoor matches but the vibram fire and ice sole would be great on slick concrete.

I have size 16 feet and finding shoes can be challenging, especially specialty type shoes/boots. I ended up going with a Belleville 8” insulated Gore-tex combat boot for all my outdoor activities. I put in a custom insole and now they are my most comfortable and least fatiguing footwear Even with the insulation it’s not too hot on warm days and is a lifesaver when it’s rainy and wet. I don’t use them for indoor matches but the vibram fire and ice sole would be great on slick concrete.

I have been using some Landsharks mid cut for a little bit now and I have to say that I love them. :cheers: They provide great traction, great acceleration/deceleration and are just overall awesome. One of the best things was that my local sporting goods store had them in stock so I could try them on.

Edited by jkatz44

• 1 month later...
I put in a custom insole and now they are my most comfortable and least fatiguing footwear

What insole are you using. I bought a pair of combats that fit and breath well, but the insole could use some padding.

Adidas Turf Hogs. Lots of little semi-soft cleats make them the best all around shoes I have found. Not slippery on concrete or wood and outstanding for gravel or grass or mud...

my .02

Buy some Dr Scholl's double thickness foam inner soles. They cost about $4-5 per pair. They are much softer and provide more cushioning than the gel style. Throw them away about every 6 months and buy a new pair.

+1 on the Adidas Turf Hog's!!!! I had the Nike Land shark or whatever they're called and the difference is amazing. As posted above, lots of little rubber bumps, good on every surface. Just did A6 with them and thought I would run get sore feet and didn't.

Sharks make my feet hurt. Even with Superfeet in them. I now use Brooks Trail Runners. I did SSNat in them. My feet did not hurt after two days. This is a big deal for me. I looked at soccer shoes for the same reason but settled on the Brooks. They work in the desert sand, gravel and the muddy/wet grass at PASA.

I have Superfeet in all my shoes. They have made a big difference. If you get a pair read and follow the instructions! Do not wear them 8 hours a day after day in the beginning, it will do you harm.

I'm trying to find a pair of lightweight 8" boots, preferably under $100. I've looked through a number of the suggestions made in several threads and am finding that many of the boots listed are either no longer to be found, are way out of my price range, or are too generalized a description to determine which of several shoes are being referred to.

I've found that both 5.11 and Converse have 2-3 boots each that would seem to fit the bill (both with and without side zip). Anyone have either the 5.11 ATAC or the Converse Tactical boots?

I have the Converse suede tan side zipper 8" boots. I am on my second pair because I absolutely love these boots. They are all I shoot in if its outdoors. Great traction, the soles seem to self clean free of mud and debris. They are lightweight, and wear like a tennis shoe, very comfortable especially when wearing them all day and its really hot outside. They breathe pretty well too. I wear Under Armor socks in them, so I never feel like my feet are sweating no matter how hot it is. I usually buy one pair a year whether I need them or not...lol.

Bass

Edited by Bass Ackwardz

Merrells for me.

Light, comfortable, reasonably aggressive tread, with a rounded heel on the models I use, which I think makes certain kinds of mvt. easier/smoother.

I have been wearing these for a while: Merrel MOAB Ventilator Mid. They are a little more pricey that the Nike Land Sharks I used to wear, but i am entirely satisfied with their enhanced performance. They are more versatile and nearly as aggressive that cleats, as light as running shoes, waterproof, supportive of the ankle, and all around hardcore. They are comfortable enough to wear for as long as you want and super breathable. I have yet to encounter a terrain that these do not work well in.

Bates M6/M9 desert boots or Converse Desert Tactical. I love that type of boot for pretty much everything but high snow or stand hunting.

Anything with a good heel, that shows my toes, (pedicure and nail color and my exquisite heels, no cracks at all!) and goes with the red/white/ and blue versa puches I run on my limited rig. Jimmy Choos!

Anything with a good heel, that shows my toes, (pedicure and nail color and my exquisite heels, no cracks at all!) and goes with the red/white/ and blue versa puches I run on my limited rig. Jimmy Choos!

I was getting ribbed for wearing my "black cherry" (AKA purple) Luccheses...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the Adidas Turf Hog suggestions - they do look very good for our sport.

I have the Adidas Kanadia trail runners and they are flat out amazing! You can still find them in the outlet stores like Famous Footware for around 40 bucks. Very light, I can't imagine trading them for boots. I use them for everything except mud and gravel.

Closest [and best] matches to me are on a gravel range for which I use Nike Land Sharks. They do run narrow which is fine for me but not the original poster. If you haven't tried them, there is a lot of "give" for heel/toe shooting and moving.

Won't go into a long anatomy discourse but in general if you've never twisted an ankle, you are unlikely to start twisting them at a match. As mentioned, the mid-cuts are nice for keeping little rocks out of your shoes.

I picked up some Under Armor football cleats for around $30 and have been very happy with them. I think the style is called Hammers. I have shot a handful of matches with thewm and many range sessions. They work well in sand, dirt, and a gravel dirt mix.