Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best brass for 625?

twister

Look closer.

I would have to take my contacts out or use a microscope! :)

All I know is I can turn in a perfectly mediocre reload without regard to bevel orientation.

Also, to try to stay on topic, any old brass other than the evil AMERC or S&B ran fine in my 625 before I foolishly sold the gun.

-ld

Sorry man, I was just messing with you. Couldn't resist. :roflol::surprise:

My OCD and my laziness battle each other in this type of situation. Solution: Always put the dirty side of the moon clip toward the cylinder.

There is a "clean" side on yours?surprise.gif

I must be doing this wrong. My whole gun looks like a before photo in a cleaning product demo. :)

-ld

My OCD and my laziness battle each other in this type of situation. Solution: Always put the dirty side of the moon clip toward the cylinder.

I must be doing this wrong. My whole gun looks like a before photo in a cleaning product demo. :)

-ld

My OCD requires 2 clean sides so I don't get my hands dirty. Demooned clips go in a different box until I go through a 100 and then they get cleaned like brass, walnut first then corn. And practice moonclips are black and match are stainless which are also laid on a mirror for flatness. There is also a TK Moonclip Checker they all go through after being filled. Did I mention I have OCD I sometimes forget when my Oldtimers strikes.

-ld

My OCD requires 2 clean sides so I don't get my hands dirty. Demooned clips go in a different box until I go through a 100 and then they get cleaned like brass, walnut first then corn. And practice moonclips are black and match are stainless which are also laid on a mirror for flatness. There is also a TK Moonclip Checker they all go through after being filled. Did I mention I have OCD I sometimes forget when my Oldtimers strikes.

I just demoon the spent cartridges and toss the moonclips in the tumbler along with the empty brass. Both get cleaned up nicely using ground English walnut from the pet store [used for reptile bedding].

I just demoon the spent cartridges and toss the moonclips in the tumbler along with the empty brass. Both get cleaned up nicely using ground English walnut from the pet store [used for reptile bedding].

I have been thinking about doing that but thought they might come out fused together, thanks for the tip :)

• 1 year later...

Anyone know a source for small primer 45 brass? I am looking to get a 625 and have about 20k more small primers than I do large ones and don't want to go the GAP route. When those run low, I want to shift to standard 45 brass.

Lee

Boy I have a lot of OCD myself although I call it my scientific method of eliminating variables. First, I settled on using Federal brass only in my 625s because I using Fed. factory ammo at the time. I do this for chrono cosistency and I like not having my rims all chewed up by extractors. Leroy is totally wrong about which side of a moonclip goes toward the cylinder....it's definitely the flat side!!!

I take all the off brand range brass I accumulate and make auto ammo for matches and leave it on the ground. I especially like to do this with small primer .45s cuz it makes the brass scrounges mad.

The .45GAP load is very viable for 625s ......our own Champ Cliff Walsh uses GAP exclusively. If you use it though you'll find it doesn't stay in ordinary moonclips very well. Then you buy Hearthco moonclips and Starline brass....more OCD!

Bob

A16841

I'm a bit surprised that most seem to have no problems using mixed brass.

I've found that some brands are very difficult to load/unload into/out of the moon clips (even using a loader/demooner tools) and some brands are virtually impossible.

I'm about ready to purchase a large supply of new brass and keep it separate - for exclusive use in my M625. But am not sure what brand of .45 ACP brass to buy.

I've found that some brands are very difficult to load/unload into/out of the moon clips (even using a loader/demooner tools) and some brands are virtually impossible.

I'm about ready to purchase a large supply of new brass and keep it separate - for exclusive use in my M625. But am not sure what brand of .45 ACP brass to buy.

I would recommend Starline and not worry about it

I run mixed GAP brass without any issues. Once in a while, I throw all my moonclips in the vibrating parts cleaner and let it run for a while. I load all my moonclips prior to a match (I have a 12 post insert for my range bag that I made, each post will hold 6 loaded moonclips) and run them through the 625 to catch any bends, bugles, etc.

I have noticed that a few of my 45 ACP moonclips are too loose for the 45 GAP brass. But I just don't see paying the premium for 45 GAP moonclips ... yet.

I get my brass here.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky for me Im not OCD. I am ADHD and a brass hound and load on a 650. free brass is the best but I at least sort head stamps :)I dont think that I have ran into AMERC brass here in NM but S&B and my 650 is bad mix so it all goes to the scrap pile.

I tried using a u-die but I shoot lead and heavy loads. I LOST retention using the u-die. Using a regular die I had no problems but the u-die cause my bullets in the last chambers to walk a bit. It didn't matter what brass I used either. I don't use r-p and a few other thin walled brass.

I'm pretty much down to Starline, Fed, Rem, Speer, Win, and W-W that I keep finding. Everything else gets chunked.

What do you guys do with your military brass? It's good stuff so I just separate it out, and I'll deal with the crimped primers later. Probably use it for practice loads, I just hate to throw it away, but it's such a PITA.

I'm shooting TZZ 89 and TZZ MATCH 89. It's military (Israeli ??)

Got a good deal on it oh so long ago. 1985.

Some primer pockets were heavily crimped. But most were just fine.

It's on the stiff side compared to WW.

I get my brass here.

me too!

I shoot a 625. I was using mixed headtsamp range brass. The majority of it was magtech since i picked it up from the scottsdale gun club. That magtech brass gives my 625 the fits; i will never use it in my 625 again. I "bit the bullet" and bought 1,000 starline cases. The starline stuff works great in my 625, with either my TK moon clips or my standard moon clips that i bought from Dillon. Therefore I do recommend starline and I do not recommend magtech for the 625.