Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best choice for $100 chronograph

Looking for a chronograph that is around the $100 mark for price. I am looking at the shooting chrony beta chronograph. I did a search, but there hasn't been anything new on them for a few years. Pro's, con's, something better? Let me know, thanks.

I don't have one personally but have used a few with shooting buddies. It seems at best that they get mixed results and are very sensitive to light, environment, and setup conditions. If you will only occasionally use it to check loads it may fulfill your needs. However, keep in mind, once you have a chrono you will find that you will use far more than you planned.

If you don't already have a timer, for $190 dollars (only a little more time saving pocket change) it is very hard to beat the PACT MKIV XP as a timer/chrono combination. With a little care towards setup (light angle) I have gotten very consistent results with the chrono function and the timer gives you more training options than you can imagine.

Edited by smokshwn

Pro chrono digital! Get a light kit for indoor ranges with strange florescent lights and stay back enough to not have the muzzle blast effect the readings. At least 10ft. Worked great even with me using marbles in an old wrist rocket. 195 fps :rolleyes:

If you don't already have a timer, for $190 dollars (only a little more time saving pocket change) it is very hard to beat the PACT MKIV XP as a timer/chrono combination. With a little care towards setup (light angle) I have gotten very consistent results with the chrono function and the timer gives you more training options than you can imagine.

Do you have to buy anything else to use it as a chorno? I guess I need to do some more research on it!

Do you have to buy anything else to use it as a chorno? I guess I need to do some more research on it!

A battery.

I didn't know if you needed the sky screens or something like that to use it as a chrono or if it came all equipted.

After reading some reviews, it doesn't look like many people are very happy with the MKIV XP, and few are having sucess with it working good.

I have a Chrony Beta Master and it works great. I don't mess with the screens but instead just set a clean Metric target on top of the support rods with the white side down. This gives very consistent results no matter what the cloud cover.

I have a Chrony Beta Master and it works great. I don't mess with the screens but instead just set a clean Metric target on top of the support rods with the white side down. This gives very consistent results no matter what the cloud cover.

I too have a Chrony Beta Master and am very satisfied. I do use the included plastic screens with no problems; I have only used the unit outdoors in good daylight and with .38 spl and .44 mag at about 10 ft distance. Sometimes I get no reading at all, and more rarely, a very unrealistic reading such as 150 fps. No reading results when the bullet trajectory is too far above either of the two sensors. I find it best to be no more than 2 inches above sensors. Lateral position is also critical. I try to keep it within +- 1/2 inch of center. The occasional unrealistic readings tend to come when one is right at the limit of acceptable trajectory placement. Those readings are way off. There is a large gap in speeds between the many readings that are realistic (in the 500 to 1300 fps range for my revolver ammo) and the unrealistic ones (less than 200), so it is easy to tell which is which. Once I managed to hit one of the metal sticks that hold the screens. I found that I could make replacement sticks that fit even better than the originals. I used steel rod from Home Depot. I think it was 1/8", smaller than the original. On that I used brass tubing from ACE Hardware, soldered on, both for the joint and to thicken the rod at the ends. Much cheaper than buying replacements from Chrony. The remote control in the Master models is essential for use on a public range where one cannot walk up to the chronometer until ceasefire.

Brad,

I could say something like, " there is no such thing as a stupid question", blah, blah.

But the truth is there are alot of stupid questions asked here. Just look up some of my posts. :wacko:

Honestly, if you don't ask you'll never know the answer, so ask away.

Just don't make it too stupid. :P:lol:

• 4 weeks later...

If you do get a ProChrono watch it in the wind if you put it on a camera tripod. They have a screw just like a camera for easy tripod mounting but they catch some wind and you will need maybe 5 pounds plus of weight hanging off the tripod to keep it from biting the dust, 2 pounds really isn't enough. Ask me how I know...on second thought just make a quick guess.

earl

For those still shopping for $100 chrono's. I got chrono'd a few weeks back at a match with the "official" USPSA set up, i.e The dual CED system in a box. My PF was within .5 of what my Prochrono digital had it at. Thats good enough for me.

I must say though, the CED has some nice features, such as figuring PF ,etc.

• 3 months later...

The prochrono digital can be bought at shooters connection for $95 right now - provided you emailed them and let them know you're a brianenos.com member. They'll give you special pricing.

gohuskers

For those still shopping for $100 chrono's. I got chrono'd a few weeks back at a match with the "official" USPSA set up, i.e The dual CED system in a box. My PF was within .5 of what my Prochrono digital had it at. Thats good enough for me.

I must say though, the CED has some nice features, such as figuring PF ,etc.

+1 :cheers: