Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eagle Scout Bsa

MikeFoley

I'm an Eagle. Earned it in '83 (Troop 513, Johnny Appleseed Area Council, Ohio) when I was a senior in high school, just barely got my project approved and completed before I turned 18. I consider it one of the highest achievements I will ever reach, and wouldn't trade my badge for the nicest open gun in the gallery!

My late grandfather, Sam Carmoney, got his Eagle back in the late '20s. I value his Eagle badge even more highly than my own.

His great-grandson, Sam Carmoney, is presently a Second Class Scout (Troop 83, Mid-Iowa Council).

Mike

Thanks Mike. I got mine in 1988, Troop 518, Barbourville, KY. I got it before my 16th birthday. I too value it, and believe it helps me every day as an adult. My younger brother got his later. There were over 60 Eagles earned in that small town. I am pleased to hear about your son being involved. I wish more parents knew what great values and skills their sons can gain in scouting.

I am not one myself, but my son Brandin is. Made Eagle when he was 17, with 57 merit bagdes. Was chapter chief for the Order of the Arrow, and now at 19 he is still very active in the BSA chapter in our area. My wife and I are very proud.

I was wondering how many Eagle Scouts we have here on the BE forum.  Chime in if you are, when and where you got it, and what it has meant to you.

I'm an Eagle Scout. I earned mine in 1981 just before my 18th birthday. I spent most of my scouting career in Troop 211 in Endicott, NY but I finished my Eagle (along with my identical twin brother) in Troop 44 in Waynesboro, VA.

My Eagle has been part of what defines me. I have a very strong personal code of ethics based on honesty, integrity, trust, perserverance, and respect. The scout oath and law burned that into my heart was the base for my personal code. It was also

I made it to life and then reached the perilous age of 16 when the choice had to made  of Eagle vs. job/car/women........

I made it to Life and then reached the perilous age of 16 when the choice had to be made between Eagle and EMT. EMT and ARC CPR and Advanced First Aid Instructor won out, though I continued my involvement with Troop 88, Princeton, N.J. until high school graduation. I continue to be amazed by the foundation that was laid in my life during my four years in Scouting --- and I'm grateful to the Men and older boys who provided it.

I made it to Life also. I did become a Jr Asst Scoutmaster though. Scouts meant so much because my scoutmaster became a father figure. My parents divorced when I was 5 years old. One of the great things I learned from scouts was Firearms. It was my intro to a sport that I truely enjoy.

Troop 169 Huber Hts, Ohio

I made it to Life, only needed 6 months or so work to go but got a job, Truck, girl, and always at the time thought I could finish up....

Inducted into OA at 15 and really enjoyed my time with the BSA.... would not change anything.....

Small note..... I was the only scout to shoot a perfect 50 with the .22 rifle inthe 3 years running that I was able to attend (Jamboree)

If I had got it it would have been in 84 (long time ago it seems)....

Hop

Scout troop 114 Floresville TX.

Didn't make it to far.

Was in troop 316 in La Crescenta, Ca ( LA area ) in the early 70's.

Moved to northern Ca and got into sports.

Wish i would have stuck with scouting longer!!!

Hey, my wife still laughs at the thought of me being a "weebelo" ( spelling ?).

She says " weebe...........what"? What's that?

Dan

I made it to life and then reached the perilous age of 16 when the choice had to made of Eagle vs. job/car/women........

I made it to Life (Troop 606, Irvine CA) and then reached the perilous age of 16 when the choice had to made between Eagle vs. racing Olympic-class sailboats....

Bruce

Troop 236 Houston, Tx....only 19 merit badges, Life, also discovered driving, and girls at the same time.....but got my God & Country award as well...

Was JAS for a few yrs and then merit badge counselor in first aid and later shooting...

I obtained my Eagle in 1978. I also earned all three of my palms. Troop 86, Birmingham Alabama. I was inducted into the OofA in 1979 and earned my God and Country award. I think scouting was one of the defining moments in my formation as a youth.

I became an Eagle in Troop 253 in Knoxville, Tennessee in 1963. A Bronze Palm followed a year later. The discipline required for the Eagle laid the groundwork for the discipline required in later life for my Master's and Ph.D. as well as the trials and tribulations as a forensic anthropologist in Bosnia, Kosovo, and Thailand. I still remember my days as a Boy Scout with fondness and credit them with what I am today.

February 22nd, 1982 - I was 14 years 4 months old. I stayed in til I was 18.

At the time I did it becasue my father was the Scoutmaster so I had little choice but looking back it was the best thing for me. It was great.

My brother also earned his Eagle Scout and both of my parents were awarded the Silver Beaver.

• 2 months later...

Eagle Scout, Troop 244, La Marque, Texas, February 1998.

Order of the Arrow, Vigil Honor, Wihinipa Hinsa Lodge #113, Lodge Chief 1999, Founder's Award 1999, 2x Charles Chipman Individual Service Awards 1996, 1997, Section SR-1 Secretary, Staff NOAC, Instructor NLS

My dad holds it over me that he has an Arrow of Light and I don't. But I'm an Eagle Scout and he's not, so I guess we're even.

The main reason I was so involved with Scouting in my youth was that my father was very involved as well. It was a fantastic time for me, as my Dad and I don't get to spend as much time together now.

Jeremy

BOTH of my wives brothers are Eagles. Me, I made it just into BSA after I finished Webelos, and then made the choice between CW reenacting, shooting, AJROTC and CAP or BSA. I'm still shooting and made FO, anyway. The irony of all this is that both of her brothers are borderline anti- and viciously anti-, repectively.

• 2 years later...

Not really sure what made me think about it, but I started wondering how many people on the forum were Eagle Scouts. Did a search and what do you know....

I got my Eagle in 2006. My Mom really pushed me to finish, because her father Thomas Mackey was very active in scouting. He was the Counil President for 20 something years, and never stopped being involved. He was still a Scoutmaster for his troop when he passed away in 1993. I am so thankful for my Mom who pushed me to stay in scouts and stay involved. I learned so much through scouting, and hope to get my son involved when the time comes.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the depths....

By the way, I attended the National Jamboree in 2001 and Philmont in 2004. These two trips are one's that I will never forget. I really enjoyed my time in scouting, and when I graduate, I hope I can still be involved

Edited by gunnerBU