Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2.0 trigger job for competition Production & IDPA SSP legal

Clint007

Looking for recommendations To give me a light crisp and short reset comp trigger job for a 2.0 M&P.  Has to look stock for IDPA SSP.

I did recently confirm that Dan Burwell is NOT currently taking 2.0s for trigger work. 

I have his trigger on an M&P (1.0) and it’s terrific but I need to find another artist for the 2.0

the stock 2.0 is very nice, I will admit. But I’m used to very light and tight triggers for competition.

any recommendations would be welcome.  It would be nice to find someone who has proven success with a 2.0 comp-level trigger. I have one 2.0 I had to take back to stock after a failed trigger job by a local gunsmith whose proclamations of skill didn’t pan out.

thank you

C

Dan is the man! Literally! I’m trying to get in contact with him now to have him work his magic on another 1.0 for me. I personally still prefer the 1.0 due to the beavertail. Really hate they removed that on the 2.0. 

Apex sear, (have to use the one they sell for.45) ultimate sear block, and competition spring kit. But you can’t use the Apex striker spring

Probably less $ to buy the action enhancement kit. Brownells part #100-006-036AS

Edited by RH45
Added Brownells part number

11 hours ago, RH45 said:

Apex sear, (have to use the one they sell for.45) ultimate sear block, and competition spring kit. But you can’t use the Apex striker spring

Probably less $ to buy the action enhancement kit. Brownells part #100-006-036AS

‘I didn’t realize I could add Apex parts without their trigger. So it will improve the trigger but still look stock?

c

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2018 at 5:37 PM, Clint007 said:

‘I didn’t realize I could add Apex parts without their trigger. So it will improve the trigger but still look stock?

Hah! Yes. Yes you can.

This 1.0 ate CCI primers all day long and I did all the work myself. M&Ps are insanely simple to work on.

2.75lb trigger:

IMG_7362.JPG.5a479e4041cf7d50cf54acda6bf396f5.JPG

I removed the striker block plunger (under the rear sight) and used some fine sandpaper to de-burr the plunger channel. It was pretty ugly in there. I then installed the Apex Ultimate Striker Block and spring. What a difference. Just doing this knocked a pound or more off the trigger pull and it is silky smooth.

• 4 weeks later...

Can you guys help me with specifics.   Looking for very little pretravel and extremely short reset.   Of course lowest trigger pull as possible.   Please let me know the part numbers that so i can order.   I have already polished.  Thx

Don’t mess with the pretravel in an M&P using production legal trigger and trigger bar.

Do you know what you’re doing with the pretravel in the stock gun? That’s where the striker block (or firing pin safety) is deactivated.

The more you reduce your pretravel the less margin for error you have between safety deactivation and the striker getting sent forward. I’ve worked on two M&Ps which were completely NOT safe to have dropped (they’d have gone off if hit the wrong way)  because of this idiocy.

It doesn’t make your trigger pull lighter. It doesn’t make you shoot faster. It doesn’t anything useful to delete the pretravel.

Dryfire with the gun often. Until taking the trigger back to the wall the instant you touch it is a habit.

7 hours ago, mktt89 said:

Can you guys help me with specifics.   Looking for very little pretravel and extremely short reset.   Of course lowest trigger pull as possible.   Please let me know the part numbers that so i can order.   I have already polished.  Thx

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191838

Apex #100-060

You will use all of the parts, except the striker spring.

My 1.0s initally came in at 36 ounces, but, I think they are a little lighter, now that they have been shot a little.

I didn't measure the weight on my 2.0, but, it feels a tad heavier than my 1.0s.

Vast improvement over stock!!

I dug out my trigger gauge, and I was right, the 2.0 is heavier than my 1.0s. It came in at 40 ounces.

I guess that I need to do some polishing.

I couldn’t get a reading on my X-five because my trigger gauge only goes up to 72 ounces.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 2:58 AM, RH45 said:

I wish Apex would make a kit for the Sig P320.

I just picked up an Xfive, and it seems to have some real potential, but, to me, the trigger is just  nasty ? 

Lol I totally agree with you there. I played with my buddies XFive and man... that trigger :( Had high hopes for the gun too. After APEXing my M&Ps, it's hard to go back to a mushy trigger. 

Now my CZ Shadow trigger is another story... ;)

Now than an APEX flat trigger is legal in Production, your trigger job goals just got much easier!

(Do some searching if you haven’t heard. All brands of hammers, mag releases, triggers etc are now legal. Or will be in a couple of months when the revised rules take effect.)

19 hours ago, Snowb1rd said:

Lol I totally agree with you there. I played with my buddies XFive and man... that trigger :( Had high hopes for the gun too. After APEXing my M&Ps, it's hard to go back to a mushy trigger. 

I'm on the wait list to send the pistol back to Sig for their "upgrade" and also on the wait list for a Bruce Gray Competition kit.

I really don't think it will be as nice as an Apexed M&P, but, we'll see.

• 6 months later...
On 2/28/2018 at 11:01 PM, Snowb1rd said:

The Apexed M&P M2.0 is just like the GOOD SA in my DA SA pistols. 

My stock P320 X5 was really blah in dry fire, surprisingly better in live fire. My fully Gray Gunned and polished P320X5 is decent, but nothing amazing, in dry fire.  Once again, however, in live fire the X5 is really really good even though it is mushier than my fully Apexed M2.0 5".  I like a smooth light crisp action in the DA of my DA SA pistols, as well as a short crisp SA. So I am still on a quest to determine why I shoot the P320 X5 more accurately out of the box than anything but my CZ SP-01!

• 10 months later...

Just wanted to make sure I understand. The Apex competition trigger enhancement kit that has been linked above looks like it was designed for the 1.0 and Apex and Brownells say that the kit will not work in the 2.0.

So you guys have installed all of the competition kit in a 2.0 except for the  striker springand it works with no issues?  

Just wanted to confirm before I get started and buy the kit for my M&P Pro 2.0

5 hours ago, DJZ said:

Just wanted to make sure I understand. The Apex competition trigger enhancement kit that has been linked above looks like it was designed for the 1.0 and Apex and Brownells say that the kit will not work in the 2.0.

So you guys have installed all of the competition kit in a 2.0 except for the  striker springand it works with no issues?  

Just wanted to confirm before I get started and buy the kit for my M&P Pro 2.0

Yes, that’s the correct kit.

you can try their striker spring 

I have them in SOME M&Ps, but went back to the stock striker springs on a couple, due to light strikes.

Apex told me NOT to use their sear spring inw2.0, but, haven’t had any issues with it, so it’s staying in.

• 3 months later...

Apex sear and striker block are all you need.   I had my M&P.40 pro done by Dan Burwell.  Great trigger.  If you know what you are doing with a little polishing on the Apex parts you can get a very nice trigger.   I used the stock striker spring with these two Apex parts and was able to get a trigger that was as nice the Burwell one.  Don't change any angles on the parts.  Just smooth them out with 2000 grit sand paper.  Then use a felt tip on a Dremel and some polishing compound.  You'll be very pleased

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 12:06 PM, DJZ said:

That's correct, the Apex kit for the M&P9 1.0 will not work in the M&P9 2.0.  You have to get the kit made for the M&P45.  When you go onto the Apex web site, the link to the DCAEK for the M&P9 2.0 takes you to the M&P45 site.  And, no, you don't have to use the Apex trigger with the kit.

I have that kit in my 5" M&P9 2.0 and it made a world of difference.

I agree that the 2.0 factory trigger isn't much better than the 1.0 factory trigger.