Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best mag setup STI or MBX

frankge

On 8/4/2017 at 8:55 AM, teros135 said:

MY 170s get 28 reloadable with stock MBX innards, 29 reloadable with TTI internals.  YMMV. 

Same here when I switched to TTI internals. I can get 30 in the mag and one in the chamber for loaded starts. I download to 29 for reloads.

On 11/2/2017 at 12:58 PM, Bdh821 said:

100% MBX mags. I bought some STI gen2 mags and still prefer MBX

Ditto, but make sure you get the MBX gen 2 mags.  There is not suppose to be a difference,  but I like the wider follower.

• 2 weeks later...

I have about 6 STI mags and 2 MBX mags, probably around 1k rounds total between all the mags and honestly I wouldn't be able to tell a difference while firing.  The MBX mags do seem put together a little better though.

1 hour ago, fatjoe123111 said:

From what I can tell some mags work for some people and some don't. I think it must be a luck of the draw. I think I will get 2 170 and 4 140 MBX mags and hope they work for me. Overall they seem to be the better bet over STI mags. 

Not sure why you would need 4 140 in open, I would do 3 170 and 2 140 or better still 3 170 and 2 155. As almost never use my 140s. It's 170 into a 155 and for me loading a 155 is easy than the 140. 

1 hour ago, Steelix said:

Not sure why you would need 4 140 in open, I would do 3 170 and 2 140 or better still 3 170 and 2 155. As almost never use my 140s. It's 170 into a 155 and for me loading a 155 is easy than the 140. 

I might look into the 155s. But why not just run all 170s if you reload into 155? I figure I will start with a 170 in the gun then reload into 140s most of the time.

24 minutes ago, fatjoe123111 said:

I might look into the 155s. But why not just run all 170s if you reload into 155? I figure I will start with a 170 in the gun then reload into 140s most of the time.

For me I like the size of the 155 so I get a cleaner reload. A lot depends on the stage if you have a spot to reload early you can reload in to a 170. But if you have a 32 round stage and reload after 8 or 10 rounds you can still go into a 155 and be good. So on a stage that I'm dropping a mag after 10 rounds, I'm dropping a 140. That's the thing with open you have a lot of options. 

4 hours ago, touji said:

I have 3 STI tubes with TTI stuff, and 2 MBX 140mm mags. I've had no problems with either, but the finish on the MBX mags are slick

They are definitely slick, when I first switched to MBX over a year ago, during my first reload in a match I pulled the mag from the pouch and promptly threw it about 10 feet in front of me. Luckily I had an extra mag. My thought was, boy these are really slick! Guess what, the next stage I did the same thing (and felt foolish for doing it the second time). I haven't done it again since then, but it was an interesting occurrence.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had nothing but problems with my max mags. Nothing against the company. Just have had rds roll past the Followers. Also I pulled a brand new magazine out of the bag 170.. It didn’t pass the EGW mag gauge. Had to file it. I know they say do not use other followers or Springs, I plan on trying the grams internal regardless. 

6 hours ago, Dwampler22 said:

I have had nothing but problems with my max mags. Nothing against the company. Just have had rds roll past the Followers. Also I pulled a brand new magazine out of the bag 170.. It didn’t pass the EGW mag gauge. Had to file it. I know they say do not use other followers or Springs, I plan on trying the grams internal regardless. 

Grams springs and followers will work in your MBX mags. I have some MBX mags that work good with stock guts and others I have Grams in. 

I have 14 mags, the majority are MBX that I bought new, the others are mixed mags that came with guns.  Never, ever a problem with the MBX mags, they work perfectly without any tweaking in my CK's and Infinities.