Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Accu Shadow - Slide Auto-Closing during Emergency Reload

Ken6PPC

You might find this very helpful...

My gun chambers a round perfectly now, 100% of the time, with the amount of force I usually use to seat a magazine during a speed load. No slamming or angled whacking required.

This works on almost any gun.

(Also, almost all 9mm Glocks do indeed do this. With a full mag. And some serious force involved.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I haven't bought a new slide stop yet, and I am waiting to get a new one before I try to modify the one I have.  That way, I know I can always go back to what I have now, if I mess up royally!  LOL!  Also, it seems that having a spare slide stop for a CZ is pretty smart, because they break!  

I do intend to work on this to get to 100% auto-close.  Right now, I have to slam it pretty hard to get auto-close.  The up and forward direction does make it easier to auto-close though.  

Thanks for all the valuable information!  I have learned a lot!  

19 hours ago, Ken6PPC said:

I do intend to work on this to get to 100% auto-close.  Right now, I have to slam it pretty hard to get auto-close.  The up and forward direction does make it easier to auto-close though.

Another way to address this issue is to plan your stages so you don't run out of ammo before reloading.  Are you using a Barney mag?  When you load and make ready, you can chamber a round, put that mag back on your belt, and load a fresh one, giving you 11 rounds in the gun, that way you fire ten, reload, fire ten and never run the gun dry.

He's probably shooting IDPA if he's this concerned about it...

And even in USPSA being comfortable to push to 11 can open up some really interesting Production stage plans, if you're willing to fly without a net. I've deleted an entire shooting position once or twice by doing that.

49 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

Another way to address this issue is to plan your stages so you don't run out of ammo before reloading. 

That's always my plan, it's amazing how often my stages don't end up that way  :lol:

And even in USPSA being comfortable to push to 11 can open up some really interesting Production stage plans, if you're willing to fly without a net. I've deleted an entire shooting position once or twice by doing that.

2 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Another way to address this issue is to plan your stages so you don't run out of ammo before reloading.  Are you using a Barney mag?  When you load and make ready, you can chamber a round, put that mag back on your belt, and load a fresh one, giving you 11 rounds in the gun, that way you fire ten, reload, fire ten and never run the gun dry.

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Yep, IDPA.  They REQUIRE you going to slide lock.  

And I do load 11 in the first mag while shooting the CZ. 

When I shoot my 1911, I use a Barney mag, and then swap for a full one so I have 11 rounds.  

Thanks!  

1 hour ago, Ken6PPC said:

And I do load 11 in the first mag while shooting the CZ. 

In both sports you load to 10+1. In USPSA you try to change mags before you go empty, almost all of the time.

I was referring to intentionally shooting the gun empty in USPSA, where we normally avoid it. Something like taking 3 downrange poppers after shooting four papers in order to not have to run to another position to shoot them later (where the course designer expected you to do so) etc.

The kinds of stage plans most people wouldn't usually consider because we always stop counting at 10.

32 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

And it looks cool to Barney on the move. 

Nothing like doing a slide-lock load then immediately ejecting that mag to get back up to 11, is there? Makes the new guys who just came from IDPA look at you really funny.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

10 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Nothing like doing a slide-lock load then immediately ejecting that mag to get back up to 11, is there? Makes the new guys who just came from IDPA look at you really funny.

I have to admit that I have never seen that in my 6 years of shooting IPSC, and here in Canada everyone uses 10 round mags.  I will try to find a spot to use it though!

11 hours ago, adamge said:

I have to admit that I have never seen that in my 6 years of shooting IPSC, and here in Canada everyone uses 10 round mags.  I will try to find a spot to use it though!

I am in California and have all 10 round mags.  I simply start each stage with a mag with a single round in my pocket.  On load and make ready I insert that mag (the Barney mag) into the pistol and cycle the slide.  Eject the now empty mag and insert a full 10 rounder from the back of my belt.  

As an FYI, a true Barney mag only has one round since it is a reference to Barney Fife from the Andy Griffith show.  He was only allowed to carry one bullet on him since he was such a nut case.

Originally it meant to carry a loose round, insert mag, drop slide, remove mag and insert "Barney" round and replace mag in gun.  Barney had to carry his one round in his shirt pocket on the show.

14 hours ago, adamge said:

32 round stages are very common in my neck of the woods, last time it came handy it was 10-move-11- long movement- 11. To get the 11-11 there was a target visible from both of the last two positions that got 1 and then 1.

Not sure that it was a wise plan all things considered, but it saved a standing reload and it was a fun way to run the stage. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

Hah! Shooting a target with 1 round on the first 11-round engagement, reloading from slide lock, dropping it, loading another mag to go back to 11-round, then putting the second round on that target from the second engagement, is even better than I imagined!  My hats off to you sir.

I call those "hero runs" when you go with a strategy that allows no makeup shots.

Edited by adamge

9 hours ago, pointerman1967 said:

I am in California and have all 10 round mags.  I simply start each stage with a mag with a single round in my pocket.  On load and make ready I insert that mag (the Barney mag) into the pistol and cycle the slide.  Eject the now empty mag and insert a full 10 rounder from the back of my belt.  

As an FYI, a true Barney mag only has one round since it is a reference to Barney Fife from the Andy Griffith show.  He was only allowed to carry one bullet on him since he was such a nut case.

Yeah man, but that's rookie stuff. What IHAVEGAS is talking about is some seriously next level trickery.

• 1 year later...