Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

why do you shoot the division you shoot?

steviesterno

I go between limited/L10 and production depending on what I have loaded a bunch of at the time. I like all three, but can't decide which to shoot once and for all, so I don't. I shoot whatever lI have the most ammo loaded for, that is it.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot revolver because it is the most fun you can have in an USPSA match. I started shooting L-10 with my SS. Eventually went to Limited and bought a wonderful gun made by Benny Hill. It is much more pleasant to shoot than a 625 that is too big for my hand, but the challenge of the revolver is just too appealing.

I shoot revolver division because I enjoy the road less traveled as it were. All of the divisions have interesting aspects to them, but only revolver holds my interest overall. I am not into doing a lot of "custom" work and my revolvers work fine for me stock out of the box. The only real choice for me to make was speedloaders or moonclips.

Just for fun I recently decided to get classified in production using my revolver. I am curious to see if over the next two years I can make C class in production with my revolver. I plan to catch some classifier matches and possibly convince some MD's after I shoot other matches in revolver division to let me shoot the classifier from the match to be sent in for production. Of course I'll be willing to pay a fee to have the production classifier sent in.

Revolver just seems simple, straight forward, and challenging to me. :D

I shoot LTD. minor cuz it pisses me off to just put 10 rounds into a mag that holds 19! :D

Seriously though, Limited is the ticket for me! I just flat out have more fun with 19-20 rounds in the pistol...It's not that I dislike mag changes, I just prefer to do less of them I guess...

Minor, because I have just recently handed my .40 down to my son and a 9mm CZ is what we have left. Also, the CZ is pretty much stock and I prefer to start "cocked & locked."

I'm pretty sure I would LOVE Open, but I don't even want to try it...I made the mistake of letting my son try it and now it's "Dad, can I get an Open gun...Dad, can I get an Open gun?"

Dont' think I would like Revolver because it might take me all day to finish a stage!!!

Dont' think I would like Revolver because it might take me all day to finish a stage!!!

Most of the revolver shooters around here are pretty competitive with the SS shooters. The "C" class and a few "B" production shooters find themselves lower in the standings also. Come to the dark side of the revolver. There is lots of fun to be had by all. :devil:

Most of the revolver shooters around here are pretty competitive with the SS shooters. The "C" class and a few "B" production shooters find themselves lower in the standings also. Come to the dark side of the revolver. There is lots of fun to be had by all. :devil:

I will say that watching someone who can perform well with a revolver is an IMPRESSIVE sight...However,until they can get 20 rounds into a cylinder, for the sake of me and everyone around me, I'd better stick to Limited! ;)

Picked up on Limited from the beginning.

Seemed most of the "good" shooters in the club were in limited and wanted a challenge.

I just picked up an open gun. After trying a few I had to try it.

Hopefully SS will be in my future as well.

I shot Production with a Glock 34 for a couple of years but being 52 years old tomorrow I was having trouble picking up the front sight. I wanted to eventually get a 2011 and shoot Limited but I wouldn't be able to see those sights any better. So I splurged and made the jump to Open. I tried to shoot the Glock the other day and it's just not happening. I'll probably be selling it soon.

So, long story short, Open because I don't have to struggle to see the front sight.

Kevin, same problem, ,but with inserts in my Rudy's I can see the front sight. The correction is in between reading and distance. Limited, L-10, SS and on rare occasions, Revo and Prod, even rarer Open. Interesting that I need to ware my regular glasses to shoot open!

SSSHHHHHHHHH!!! As far as my wife knows glasses would not work for me and I HAD to get an Open gun! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!cheers.gif

Funny you mentioned it but I also noticed the dot is perfectly clear with regular glasses whereas iron sights are quite blurry!

Saw the same thing here. I need glasses etc to see a red dot clear. If I try to shoot Irons with them I cant get a sight picture. Im not sure why it is but I have to stick with regular non perscription for the irons

Often the decision on which division I shoot comes down to one question...for which gun(s) do I have ammo loaded?

I'm in the same boat...

I love Limited! However, it will be sometime in January before I can buy any more 40 cal bullets...

So that leaves me Production and Single Stack... I started in Production, and really like that division...

Having said that, I think I will shoot Single Stack for a month or 2. I have plenty of ammo for both, and don't want to spoil myself too much with a nice single action trigger (or make my Glocks jealous :goof: ). But I think it is time to slow down and work on some fundamentals. Also, I have hit a plateau, and I hope a change in platform for a little while might help!

Each division offers different challenges.

Specifically, here is what I like about each division I shoot:

Limited - I like to have the flexibility that 20 round mags offer. I can run full blast, and I can take several approaches to every stage. In my area, most of the "top shooters" are in Limited. Also, I have more flexibility in personalizing my equipment.

Production - It is a great division to start in. Lowest cost to get a competitive set up. We have several great Production shooters in Georgia, so it is easy to see how you stack up nationally (on field courses, not just classifiers) . It is a good mix of strategy and speed.

Single Stack - Awesome single action trigger. Gun weighs more, so it is more controllable. Definitely need to plan out each stage very carefully. Not forgiving in the least... However, when you have the perfect stage, I feel it is more personally rewarding than in any other division.

I dabbled in a lot of guns when I first started shooting but ended up buying a 1911 at about year 2 and loved it. Single Stack became a new division that year and I shot single stack for a long time.

I still like single stack best but I also shoot production sometimes because I like the minor-only scoring and I shoot limited sometimes because for me, it's like single stack with fewer reloads (and thus more shooting).

I have learned to like every division that I shoot but my favorite will always be single stack. I like single action triggers best and even though I have a niceish limited gun, I still love my single stacks.

I shoot production because when I started, it was the only division my gun at the time fit into (M&P357), and I liked the idea of competing with what I carry. I've since upgraded to a CZ Shadow for games, and another for carry to be consistent. It's a fun division and is usually pretty competitive in these parts.

I've toyed with the idea of playing in single stack. I have a tendency to use those extra shots far too often, and some time shooting without them would be a good way to break that habit. I also LOVE 1911s and it's a gun that I could compete with and carry. The only thing keeping me out is that 9mm is quite a bit cheaper to reload for, which keeps the cost of practice and matches down. That said, I've been trolling the classified ads quite a bit the last few days looking for a nice SS gun getting ideas. :blink:

Great thread.

I shoot L10 and Production but mostly L10. I shoot a 1911 45 single stack in L10. I am an IDPA transplant and shot CDP with that gun in IDPA. I love the platform and enjoy the equipment freedom of L10.

Since plastic-frame, striker-fired pistols are the standard defensive handgun today, I figured I had better buy one and learn to use them so I bought an XD Tac9, had it worked over at Powder River Precision, and I have shot a couple matches with it. I will start shooting it in earnest in April. My plan is to shoot all the matches in 2012 at one particular club with that gun in Production, and to shoot all the matches at three other clubs with my 1911 in L10, with maybe a few SS entries thrown in so I can feel a little bit like my old CDP days!

Finally, I have a Hi-Power that I just love and will occasionally break it out and shoot L10 minor. I really enjoy running that gun in a match!

It is all good!

I shot single stack for over a year - now i'm shooting open and tomorrow limited.

I love the 1911/2011 design and dont see myself shooting anything else. SS was a great way to start - learned alot about making the shots count and stage planning but I want to have fun now and come in well overall. Ive noticed with higher capacities I do shoot faster and will sometimes take 8-10 shots on a rack since I can - dont like that - need to buckle down and start making those shots count again.

I also like the flexibility in everything that open/limited give you. I like having mags in front of the hip bone and the ability to do whatever I want to the gun in terms of cuts/weight.